Electric brakes

kyoshofw05

Oct 1, 2011
Hillside 3037
Hi ya all, have to say im loving my 14.44.4. Due its my first caravan can someone tell me the right way to set the gain on my brake controller? Or is there different ways.

Happy caravaning guys.

kyoshofw05

Oct 1, 2011
Hillside 3037
Not looking at it l cant spell it, l think its spelt Tekconsha it has a slider at the front, on the left a level knob and the right a gain knob. If that helps. I know to have the level one straight its the gain one?

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I usually set mine to about half before I take off and readjust while I,m on the road.
The boost feature works well on steep hills.
You,ll find that as your brakes get warm you may have to increase the level slightly.
Generally these units are adjusted by feel.
You don't want the van doing all the braking.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I thought the lever at the front is for emergency braking and when the lever is pulled across at 60 km the brakes should virtually lock up. (can someone confirm this!!). You set this by pulling the lever all the way across and then adjusting the setting using the dial.

And when you are driving normally you use the dial without the lever. I have always set mine to have the same braking feel as I have when no caravan is attached. In other words, when braking it does not feel as if the caravan is pulling up the car fully and like wise, it also should not feel as if the car is pulling up the caravan either. The combination of car and van brakes should work together to bring everything to a halt. But I am always resetting this for every trip I do. I am not sure if this is because I bump the settings with my knee each time I drive the car or this is just the way it works.