Electric Brakes

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
How much should I expect to pay to have an electric brake module fitted to a BT50. I was quoted over the phone $350 plus brake module (P3 @$220). I thought this sounded expensive.

Also I will only be towing the expanda so is there a cheaper alternative as I dont have any other trailers with hydraulic brakes? Just the Expanda.

Geoff

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Your best bet is to buy one online, I recommend the Tekonsha P3.
Ebay is your friend here, Autoelecau is the seller I got mine from, around $160 from memory..

Any decent auto elec should be between $100 - 150 to install. Then while your at it have an Anderson plug wired in or have a 6mm hotwire for your van installed, with a solenoid to prevent discharge of the car battery.
Redarc make a good one..again..Ebay is the go here.

Cheers,
Matty

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I agree with Matty4.

I have the Tekonsha P3 from ebay (great bit of gear), installation should only cost about $100-$150 from memory. But it depends on where you fit it. It took a bit longer to fit it where i wanted it on mine, but was worth it to me as its out of the way of my knees!

BT3.JPG

I also got my redarc isolator from ebay, about $90. Both from Autoelecau. I have purchased quite a few items from them now (no affiliation):biggrin:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I got the P3 from ebay as well. about $160. My install was more like $200, but they had to cut a hole to fit it in. Did a good job.
My auto sparky did not like the red ark controller. He reckons they fail too often. He wanted to install a chunky $30 solenoid that is not smart, but acts as a relay. He reckons they are the most reliable, and in my case it is all I need.
Does Expanda have hydrolic brakes? I set my p3 for electric

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I found out that there is more to it than I thought. You have to be super careful to connect to the right wires. I have the Mazda wiring diagram which shows a relay has to be fitted. I read a horror story online where someone fried the main computer.

Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I got the P3 from ebay as well. about $160. My install was more like $200, but they had to cut a hole to fit it in. Did a good job.
My auto sparky did not like the red ark controller. He reckons they fail too often. He wanted to install a chunky $30 solenoid that is not smart, but acts as a relay. He reckons they are the most reliable, and in my case it is all I need.
Does Expanda have hydrolic brakes? I set my p3 for electric

:bump: Bump on the question about hydrolic or electric. Anyone?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
QUOTE=cruza driver;17859]No mate there electric :thumb:[/QUOTE]

:sorry: Thanks. Now that I read Geaff's first comment again it make more sense. I'm easily confused. :confused:[

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
I just had a primus 1q e/brakes, l/wire and switch added ro my VE Commodore so slowly but surely i can improve on my signature below :) .... let you know if i have any issues!!! bit rich i guess but i got it from where i had my towbar installed so if any issues i'll give them a hard time ....

but i've had pretty good service from Allin's Towbars at Richmond (RAdelaide) ....

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Got my electric brakes done yesterday. It was still around $500 including P3 module. They did a neat job. Everywhere was similar price or more. At the end of the day I needed it done as we pick up van next week. They ran the cable all the way from the battery down to the back so I will find out if it works next Friday.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just got back from our first real trip in our new 18' and did about 700k's. I checked brake adjustment before we left to satisfy myself and checked drum temp when ever we pulled over. On the way down 3 were about the same and only warm but the front left side was a bit hotter. On the way back the 2 left drums warm but 2 right drums hotter? Don't know why they change, maybe it's part of the bedding in process....any thoughts?

Also not happy with Hayman Reece controller, fine adjustment needed between highway and town braking and I still feel that it's not effective enough, it won't stop my tug when at crawling pace when I squeeze the manual override on full and the auto elec reckons it is compatible for 2 axle trailers? Think I will change to P3, my mate has one for his 24' van and he can lock the brakes! I would be interested to hear from anyone using a HR controller with 2 axles with their experiences/findings.

Cheers.

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Burnsy, is your HR controller the one like a rebadged primus IQ, or the cheaper non-pendulum one? Either way they should both be able to lock up your brakes. I've got the IQ and I'm pretty happy with it.

The only possible problems I can think of is either the brakes are so new that they aren't bedded in enough to be able to lock up the wheels, or somehow the wiring is faulty and isn't providing a sufficiently strong signal from the controller to the brakes.

You may be able to tell I'm no expert on these matters!

Where2nxt

Oct 6, 2012
Western Australia
Sorry to jump onto this thread but,I have the HR controller on my single axle and it started to pull hard to the left (passenger side) when braking. Very hot on brake drum when checked. Other side ok. Dropped adjustment to 0 to make sure there was no drag, And car/van seamed to roll ok. Can you adjust these manually at drums.
Cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sorry to jump onto this thread but,I have the HR controller on my single axle and it started to pull hard to the left (passenger side) when braking. Very hot on brake drum when checked. Other side ok. Dropped adjustment to 0 to make sure there was no drag, And car/van seamed to roll ok. Can you adjust these manually at drums.
Cheers

Hi mate, yes you can adjust manually. There will be 1 or 2 slots in the bottom of backing plate (mine has 2) this is where you put a flat blade screwdriver or there is a special tool but screwdriver will do and you turn the star wheel on the adjusting nut. You might need a torch to see this so you know where it is, your manual should show you this also. Can't remember which way is what offhand but you need to have wheel jacked up and hanbrake off so you can spin wheel and feel/hear when brake shoes are starting to touch then back off a bit.

The book says the wheel should turn at least one revolution when you spin it before it stops, also make sure your handbrake is not adjusted up too much, cable should be slack with handbrake off. I think there are some YouTube vids that show brake adjustment also. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Burnsy, is your HR controller the one like a rebadged primus IQ, or the cheaper non-pendulum one? Either way they should both be able to lock up your brakes. I've got the IQ and I'm pretty happy with it.

The only possible problems I can think of is either the brakes are so new that they aren't bedded in enough to be able to lock up the wheels, or somehow the wiring is faulty and isn't providing a sufficiently strong signal from the controller to the brakes.

You may be able to tell I'm no expert on these matters!

Thanks Peter, mine is not IQ but have P3 on order, I also have some dodgy brake connections under van which i will fix so between the two hopefully all will be good.

Cheers.