16' Series Electric Brake Controller

Damien & Mel

Oct 26, 2011
Forster NSW
Hi All,

We are after some advice please.

We have just updated our car and it was suggested to us to get a REDARC brake controller, I was going to just have our old controller taken out of the old car and put into the new one, the old controller is a Primus IQ.

The problem is that we have the new prado and with the air bags the only spot to place the controller is on top of the dash on the rhs of the stearing wheel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Damien & Mel

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Damien & Mel, I'm installing tekonsha p3 this weekend, don't know about redarc or IQ but I will mount on top of dash rhs of steering wheel.

Cheers.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic

Sterlo1

Aug 27, 2012
Narellan Vale, NSW
Hi Burnsey,
How are you going to mount the P3 ? The P3 has the manual activation lever on the bottom and I installed mine in the Pajero under the dash. I mounted it on a trip of aluminium in the centre underneath the steering column. Anywhere else under there seemed to get in the way of my legs.
Cheers, Paul.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have the redarc, and not impressed with it. It is nice and neat, but the dial doesn't give me enough adjustment - its too fine - and as it isn't an inertia units, needs to be changed between touring and city driving. Questions have been asked to the manufacturer with vague responses and an installer 'checklist' given.
I'll probably change to a P3, but will give it another chance and get the car into the installers to recheck....

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi Damien and Mel,
I have the Tekonsha Voyager and have had no issues at all with it. ( not that I have driven with anything else, but it stops me properly )

I have heard and read the the Red Arc units are not as good, or maybe not as liked.??? I wonder who told you to remove the Primus and their reason for suggesting you get a Red Arc unit?
Are you happy with the primus? Does it stop you and your van correctly? These are the questions I would be asking before spending money on a new controller - especially if it works for you.

Just my thoughts.
Cheers
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsey,
How are you going to mount the P3 ? The P3 has the manual activation lever on the bottom and I installed mine in the Pajero under the dash. I mounted it on a trip of aluminium in the centre underneath the steering column. Anywhere else under there seemed to get in the way of my legs.
Cheers, Paul.

G'day Paul,

I was going to do it like the pic in this thread, posted by matty4.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1227-Brake-Controller-setup-Tekonsha-P3/page3

Cheers.

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Hi Damien & Mel,

I was recomeneded to get a Red Arc from the mechanic as i had a similar problem in the Disco as where to put it and was talked out of it by other forum members and have also gone for the Tekonsha P3, We pick up our Panda in the morning at 9am so i shall let you know tomorrow nite how it all works. Has been wired into the car for the last few weeks and reads no trailer connected, Very Smart !

In a previous post Holdenman found a windscreen mount, similar to a Navman bracket, to put his into his Prado and this looked very neat !

Cheers Glenn

Harv n Bron

Jul 9, 2012
Hi all, interesting reading this, I have been recommended the redarc instead of the Anderson plug - dont know whether they are the same product or not - old mate doing install reckons it will do a superior job. Any views on this-thanks. Harv

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Hi all, interesting reading this, I have been recommended the redarc instead of the Anderson plug - dont know whether they are the same product or not - old mate doing install reckons it will do a superior job. Any views on this-thanks. Harv

HI Harv,
They are mainly talking about the Electric Brake Controllers here though, Redarc supply and manafacture different type's of equipment for the motor industry such as Electric brake cotrollers, Circuit Breakers Etc.

I have a Redarc controller that stops the current being drawn from the car battery when the vehicle is not being driven, so i have no need to unplug the van from the car whilst stationary. The Anderson Plug and the wire that charge's the battery whilst driving are both wired through this Redarc VRS Module that stops this.

I went for the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller and used it for the first time today and it worked well but still needs a little fine adjustments to make it work even better, easy to use and veiw what its outputting.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Damien and Mel,
Like matty4 and glenn mentioned in replies I have the same issue with the 150 Series Prado.
Take a look at this thread also it may help as well.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1798-P3-Tekonsha-vehicle-mount

I worked on this solution from matty4's pics. Auto Elec has now wired up and was real easy, they just followed up under the door dust seal and popped out at the base of the front pillar.
As for which controller, Like others I took my advice from other forum members and
got the P3, but also the Jayco dealer mentioned the P3 was best in the market and
superior to redarc, I was keen to go redarc because of the easier install in the Prado, but being a heavier van and getting near the prado's weight limit I decided to go proportional and have the best brake controller I could get. They are not that much dearer than the other options available, and reckon the few extra dollars are worth it when you consider the value in Tug and van, let alone the fam. I also think it fair to say any of the proportional brake controllers would be ok.
As for practical knowledge on the P3 sorry I have none, but will soon.

Hope that helps.

Jas