Chassis Economical drawbar box for Starcraft, Journey etc.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
A few have asked me about the kinchrome box I run on the Starcraft. So I thought I'd put some pics up so anybody can follow up if they want. Primarily it's best suited to a non Expanda type van but would work on an Expanda just need to lift the bed end. I had a custom box on the Expanda and did intend to transfer it to the Starcraft but in reality it was just too heavy for my liking and how I come about selecting this box. I wanted something that would hold the generator , weber and camp oven. After that anything was a bonus but was conscious that a 20% bigger box was going to weigh 20% more maybe even more again cause would need more floor support the further out you went off the a frame. Also wanted it to look good :p

I took the gen , camp oven and weber on a road trip :D to visit some suppliers. Finally settled on the kinchrome box as it fitted the needs and better still was on special for $500. It's light at 26 kg. https://www.kincrome.com.au/gullwing-alum-truck-box-1600mm

I had already moved the gas bottles further forward as can be read about here.

Again with weight in mind I didn't want anymore bracing than necessary. I had thought I might consider trying to run the generator from the box too so I fitted the floor under the generator side with a piece of 12 construction ply. As it turned out the thing vibrates too much so plans for an exhaust hatch have been canned. :(

I used those cam lock fittings from bunnings with eyelets riveted to the box with alloy rivets and washers for strength. The sales guy warned me they are barely weather resistant so I got to with a hose and tested it. The rivets for the hinge were sus and not blind >:( so I just silconed them up. The catches are okay but getting sticky now after near 18mths of use (no I haven't sprayed them yet :p) but the hi quality catches I had on the custom box will fit as well. I wouldn't carry anything in there that was susceptible to moisture but water won't pour in. Overall super happy with how it came out and the what it carries. Specially for like $600 investment all up! Last thing I have done is fitted thoses lights everybody from uses from bunnings for fridges.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Some more detailed pics

image.jpeg

The ply under the generator with bolts through the original gas bottle holder holes. Recessed and those camloc fittings used so if generator isn't traveling it's a relatively flat area to carry something.

image.jpeg

Camlocs in and some modified straps with rubbers to protect the generator a bit. I used to carry it with the cover on but got tired of having to take it on and off.

image.jpeg

Weber side, same camlocs again through the gas bottle bracket holes and a bit of alloy plate to brace the other bolt. The hockey strap is tired on so its dedicated to the weber.

Reactions: bigcol and Base23

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The catches or eyelets through the side to hold the camp oven and weber securely.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Used monal rivets and washers to give them strength. Could use bolts but don't use stainless, stainless and alloy don't play nice together.