17' Series dust sealing

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi all,

just got back from a trip up Oodnadatta track, Flinders Ranged (arkaroola) and beyond. Great trip, but the bull dust got inside the van in the leg between williams creek and oodnadatta. Thick coating over EVERY surface inside. Spent over 4 hours cleaning on site, and another two days after getting home. Fun fun.

Such things happen....and it doesn't have good pressurisation when on the road and lots of vents/gaps for entry which I didn't seal up. (thats on me)
Ultimately, I reckon it got in around the door.

its probably time to replace the door seal anyway, and it looks like the lower hinge was previous repaired (don't recall that!!) and the repair makes the door sit out a millimeter.
But I notice when the door is open, there is another track in the frame itself. Question is has anyone added an extra seal inside that track??? (no I didn't think of a photo at the time)

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just try some of that window seal, it comes in various shapes and sizes , its really a try and see thing with dust sealing .............

Anything that goes thru a wall or floor, reseal , fridge is a good one as they are never sealed properly from new, dust will come in under the fridge..... rear light and panels often allow a heap in thru wiring openings..................... I have found looking in cupboards can sometimes lead to tell tales dust trails.......... open drain can create a venturi effect and make a low pressure zone inside van as well so a dust sucker from any vent, plug in sink/shower fixes that.................

Just some hints...............................

Reactions: straydingo

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Dust is a real pain to manage. It's a bit drastic but my battery leaf blower speeds the de dusting process (so long as my wife is not watching)... I suspect we have all had at least one major dust event in our travels :oops:

My camec door has some adjustment on the locking side that requires some patience to line up the 3 locking points. It also uses a rubber seal, sort of like this
that I have to frequently clean behind and check it is pressing against the door frame.

I did that trip last year and the dust did get in a little but I've done what Drover suggested and routinely put all the drain plugs in, sealed big holes , etc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ages back when I sorted the dust leaks, the next trip I discovered the last dust leak was coming from under the fridge, I fixed that by pulling fridge out a few inches and sticking a strip of that small foam door seal on the floor, then pushing the fridge back in, the foam was under the fridge and no mor edust, at the time I should have pulled the whole thing out and redid the insulation............ The fridge I did the same but redid the insulation for the fridge we have no dust at all, freezer sits around the -20 and fridge just stays cold, no dust so long as I drop a newspaper between the fly wire and outer door to cover the vent...

Reactions: Boots in Action