Dual / Single Batteries Anyone?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, just about to wire up the pathfinder for the new tug (Fridge and Battery hotwires) and was thinking of possibly going to dual batteries.

Looking at the amp draw for both the fridge and 12 volt charge system it does put alot of strain on the car battery.

In the two vans I have had I broke down once with a bad battery, it could have been just old but it was relatively soon after the van was bought.

So who has either -

a) One battery powering all of there devices and has not busted it yet?

b) Gone to a dual battery setup to overcome this?

Only problem I have is if I am going to do it is fitting a second battery in the pathfinder engine bay doesn't look very good :suspicious:

satyoga

Aug 3, 2011
Sunshine Coast
Hey Expanda,

Have a 2008 Pathfinder with an expanda, have both the fridge and the battery wired up to my single battery.
Has not let me down so far, I have it wired up to relays so they only work when the engine is running.
The battery still charges well with van on, even with wipers, lights and spotties on.
It does look very tight for a 2nd battery in there.

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We have a 105ahr Thumper system, fantastic!

Can go anywhere in your car and can be pulled out if needed.

Totally portable.

Has run my Engle for 4 days and then jump-started a 4wd no trouble.

Comes with digital readout built in, 2 sockets, a hella socket, anderson plug and jumper leads.

It is a fully sealed glass mat battery which gives off no gasses and so is safe in the passanger compartment.

Ours is mounted on the Black widow draws in the back of the wagon.

Crystalyn

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi expanda,

I put a second batt in not long ago but mainly so I can run my waeco in the back for trips up the beach etc. Pryor to that I never had a problem with van in tow but that was with a 90L fridge.

Cheers.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I also have a 75aH Thumper in the Patrol. Had it in two previous utes as well and it does the job nicely. But it just runs the fridge in the car.

The rest is off the main battery which seems to work fine.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
We run a fullriver 105 a/h AGM battery in the Prado and now just going through the process in the Ranger. I wouldn't be without it!

The wife is keen on the Thumper system this time around. I think size is going to be the deciding factor?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I wouldn't go the Thumper again after just getting a quote to get it repacked.

Mine is 5yrs old and i have to send it to SA to get re-packed and long term a system where you can just change the battery yourself would be cheaper. Other than that i can't fault its operation.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Moto do you feel as though yours was worked hard?

Maybe the new ones are better than my one. I have my fridge running all the time, and am really happy with 5 yrs, so 10yrs sounds like a great deal. Just ask how much to get it repacked, when ever it needs doing , so you can factor that into your decision.

Reactions: Big Gee

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Maybe the new ones are better than my one. I have my fridge running all the time, and am really happy with 5 yrs, so 10yrs sounds like a great deal. Just ask how much to get it repacked, when ever it needs doing , so you can factor that into your decision.

That's a long time to run a fridge, is the Thumper charging off your car everyday? Or do you charge off 240v as well?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
LOL, i can't say 5 yrs none stop, but lets say it gets a lot of use.

99% charged off the car unless i took it out for whatever reason for a period of time then i used the supplied 240V charger. Hope this helps somewhat:wacko: