Dual cab ute as a tow car

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Hi all
We have decided that no matter what model expanda we purchase we are better off purchasing a new tow car and as there are a few tax benefits with getting a ute (will purchase as a company car) and with the new models coming out and end of year there are some deals to be had (plus having a ute I can sell the trailer that hardly gets used) so I would like to know who has a dual cab ute and what mods were needed to improve towing and also manual or auto.
The ute will not be our main car, and really only for the odd beach fishing trip and holidays, Have 2 girls 5 and 7 both on the small size and will keep it for maximum 5 yrs.
Cheers Cancan

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Your right there is al ot to choose from with a lot of new models recentlly released. Besides driving as many as you can Iwould make sure you sit the kids in the back and check for leg room and visibilty out of the rear windows for the kids. Some back doors dont have much visiblity for the kids to look out of if that makes sense.

The next most important consideration would be tow weight limits to make sure what you tow is within the manufactures specs. Also whether you with a HR towbar are the factory one.

Good luck with your hard decision.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have friends and family all using a variety of the current dual cab utes and they are all pretty muck on par in terms of performance.

Like Cruza says if you have kids to take away test the back seat out. Pretty sure this would eleimnate the current Ranger/BT50 (if there is any left) and D22 Navara. For space inside i like the D40 Navara and Triton.

Have fun test driving:car:

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I have been test driving today....Liked the new hilux the best, nicest to drive and had all the features I wanted plus more, but mid 50's for the SR5 is getting up there for a ute and is in crd Grand Cherokee price range which I like (wife not that fussed).
Drove the new Ranger xlt last week which I liked but to long for my garage at 5.4mtrs.
Colorada/Dmax to basic (need at least rear cup holders for kids drinks)
Navara I liked 2nd to the Hilux but stx model is phased out and might be hard to find, ST model I could get away with
Triton was ok but not a fan of the styling and found the brakes were not responsive enough.
I did find the autos sluggish but I was jumping out of a turboed petrol manual and may just take some getting used to.
Now get to spend the rest of the day searching carsales.com although I should do some work today

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
I have looked at the DMax and they are bit to commercial for my liking.
Haven't looked at the VW, might look at one tomorrow but the money is getting up there and we currently have an Audi and not that impressed with the German quality.
So far the Navara ST is on top of the list (awaiting approval of the minister of everything and the chosen ones although we have had a Pathfinder and the wife liked that). Can get auto's and manuals for under $40k on road so I guess I need to know if anybody has towed with one of these and were there any issues and what mods were required (eg upgrade springs etc).

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Make sure you check the tow capacity on the hilux (2250kg) compared to the rest, our Triton is only 2500kgs its an 07 model (new ones are 3000kg) heaps of room in the back of ours for our 3, and the warranty is awesome 5yr everything + 5yr on top for drive train etc and correct me if I am wrong capped price servicing too (like Toyota) Good luck!!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
I towed with the rodeo/colarado, mind you it was th eagle, but fully loaded 1.5t, towed like a dream. 12l/100 when towing. No need to upgrade springs as it was rated as a one tonner.
I would imagine that the others would be similar.

check out discounted new cars many specs and discounted prices, especially if you live near a major centre.

Cheers Mick

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Wasnt aware the STX was been discontinued. It is the series 4 which only come out about a year ago. If you can stretch the budget go the STX. It has the more powerful engine in it. It puts out 450 nm as opposed to the ST which has around the 410nm. We have the series 4 PAthy (same 450nm) engine and it pulls our expanda well. It is auto but find it doesnt feel sluggish. It just doesnt like back changing a gear on a hill.

I think they are saying the old STX was discontinued not the series 4...

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I have the LTR Colorado turbo diesel in manual and we just got back from the Flinders rangers towing the 16-49-1 OB and it did it easy and yes if I have one gripe it is the cup holders
We went to the melbourne motor show and checked all the current utes out and for the price/seating/performance/economy the colorado won.

The stx 550 only comes in auto and at $69k was way too much

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Thanks MolongMick,
I test drove the Amorak and very impressed. Nicest to drive, had good pick up (once I got out of first) and they have a limited edition going for under $48k on road. It has all the features that we wanted except blue tooth although I found I could not read the radio with sunnies on so will change the radio to something better with blue tooth, and have to paint the front bumper as it comes in black and was ugly.
Other advantages are the indicators are on the correct side and my euro plates will fit.
I dont need to update suspension to tow but tow bar wiring is a bit tricky but I guess it will be no more difficult than our Audi.
Just need to get past the wife now

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I love those Amoraks!

Came across a brand new white one in the Bendethra Valley not long ago. The owner had the biggest grin on his face. He said it was so good to drive on and off road. He said there were a few hills he could never get up in his old Triton that this thing just walked up.

He also had a colour coded ARB deluxe winch bar, really looked nice:thumb:

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Thanks MolongMick,
I test drove the Amorak and very impressed. Nicest to drive, had good pick up (once I got out of first) and they have a limited edition going for under $48k on road. It has all the features that we wanted except blue tooth although I found I could not read the radio with sunnies on so will change the radio to something better with blue tooth, and have to paint the front bumper as it comes in black and was ugly.
Other advantages are the indicators are on the correct side and my euro plates will fit.
I dont need to update suspension to tow but tow bar wiring is a bit tricky but I guess it will be no more difficult than our Audi.
Just need to get past the wife now

ARB has made a heap of aftermarket accessories for the Amorak, including bull bar. You could always order the bar and get it powder coated to suit the cars colour.

Mick

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
It is still a VW. Usual european stuff. Give it a little bit of time and stuff starts to go wrong.
I would go a new Ranger over the Vdub. More powerful, better resale and it is a Ford...
Euro resale is dredful. I have sold cars and anything euro was worth a lot less than any other brand, and always worth less than the owner thought. They thought prestige, we thought warranty problems.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The thing that surprises me though is the engine.
Many manufacturers have gone from 2.5 litre diesels to 3.0 litre to get better performance. VW have done back to a 2.0 litre and its still getting 120Kw/400Nm

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
The thing that surprises me though is the engine.
Many manufacturers have gone from 2.5 litre diesels to 3.0 litre to get better performance. VW have done back to a 2.0 litre and its still getting 120Kw/400Nm

Nissan Navara went from 3litre to 2.5litre
Mitsubishi Triton went from 3.2litre to 2.5litre

The thing that concerns me is that these smaller engines are putting out more power, better technology? or just working them harder? intresting...

Watchmymuvie

Sep 20, 2011
Orange N.S.W. Australia.
Here is my 2 bobs worth ,
I've got an 07 BT50 and I love it !
pro's Good power, no mods for towing. (16-49)
con's lack of legroom in back ( Check the size of your Child car seats some are not as bulky ! )

Kw and Nm on paper is one thing But on the road it another thing !
Mate of mine Dave has a 08 Hi-Lux, similar power figures on paper . Better ground Clearance, unloaded Slower, Loaded slower (Caravan). Now has a power Chip Mod !
Another Mate Nathan 08 Navara ST-R. Better figures on paper . Same ground clearance, unloaded Faster, Loaded Slower(Caravan). Now has a power Chip !
mick has a 09 Navara ST-X . Now has a Patrol !

I'm not saying Im a speed racer, Im far from it My daily driver is a Suzuki Jimny (and its auto) . Im not saying the Bt50 is the best . But it was a lot cheaper and it don the job I've needed it to do .

If your not in a rush New Models are coming ! just look at the latest Navara V6 3lt Diesel . I towed my van with a tray back one of those And man oh Man did it get up and go !

Mazda are going to a 5 cylinder and it is a totally new truck and Bigger with similar get up and go compared with the Navara !

All the manufactures will have something impressive within the next 12 months ! so if you can wait .....

Pathfinder Turbo V6 3lt Diesel, I want it Now ! Cheers Bob.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I bought the LTR Colorodo 2011 turbo diesel towed the expanda no problems through the Flinders Ranges in Sep school hols we got a good deal from Holden as the new model comes out next year

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
CanCan,
The NEW Tritons have 3000KGS towing cap and between 45K & 48K you could pick up a GLXR top of the range. We are very happy with ours. The SR5 would've been our next choice but the dollars did not stack up. More features in the GLXR too. We will tow a 17.56.2 when the bank gives us the coin.
Triton GLXR OCT.JPG