Electrical Dual Battery with Ctek 250S

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Planning on a second battery in the tub on the BT50 and, as I presume it has a 'smart alternator', it will require wiring up in a particular way. I have found this diagram on the web as a means of connecting to a smart alternator.
Ctek 230S wiring.jpg

The script says that using the solar input allows the Ctek to switch on at the lower voltage that the smart alternator supplies after charging the main battery. My question is, will connecting the relay into the ignition circuit cause any problems? Does anyone know where an ignition connection be made in the BT50?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hasnt Cruza done this? The Rangers can have there alternator charging voltage changed by the dealer can the Mazda? With the cruiser in the end I just bought a boosting diode and did it the old fashioned way.

Reactions: chartrock
Feb 19, 2015
Adelaide
www.erms.com.au
From what I understand the BT50 alternator does not have the smart charge part in operation,and runs a constant voltage output - not variable, unlike the Rangers, but most have picked up the ignition source from the fuse box near the battery under bonnet - but then again I mainly looked at 2013 models, so cannot confirm if 2014 on run the variable alternators.
I think 37 and 38 are spare in the fuse block, they are for GT options like seat warmers etc. that you could possibly use as an ignition source for the Ctek - I am just going to use an isolator straight to the second battery as I do not need the charger with my model.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Has anyone used one of these. I was talking to the head techo at the Mazda dealer today while getting the BT50 serviced and asked about connecting to ignition circuits without blowing the ECU and he told me they use these to operate a relay then anything can be operated of the relay. Just replace the fuse with this, refit the fuse to this and a new fuse of appropriate size for the relay. Sounds easy. :noidea:
$T2eC16JHJIcFHO(pWLBiBSRScMu2u!~~60_12.jpg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Planning on a second battery in the tub on the BT50 and, as I presume it has a 'smart alternator', it will require wiring up in a particular way. I have found this diagram on the web as a means of connecting to a smart alternator.
View attachment 30986

The script says that using the solar input allows the Ctek to switch on at the lower voltage that the smart alternator supplies after charging the main battery. My question is, will connecting the relay into the ignition circuit cause any problems? Does anyone know where an ignition connection be made in the BT50?

Maybe a silly question, but why do you need the relay ?

The D205S Dual is designed to have the alternator feed into the bottom pin and the solar feed into the top pin. By your diagram you are feeding both into the top pin and then switching via the relay ??

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hey @chartrock , sorry meant to reply but forgot. How did you get on with your hookup ? give me a yell if need a hand.

Shane.
Thanks Shane, as yet my battery hasn't arrived so no install as yet but it should be here this week so this weekend should be busy. :D
Maybe a silly question, but why do you need the relay ?

The D205S Dual is designed to have the alternator feed into the bottom pin and the solar feed into the top pin. By your diagram you are feeding both into the top pin and then switching via the relay ??
@Bellbirdweb, I am not sure about the needs of the BT50 electronics. :noidea: The diagram above was from this website where the following question and answer appeared.

Can I use a CTEK D250S Dual in a vehicle with a smart alternator?
You can use a CTEK D250S Dual in a vehicle with a smart alternator, provided you have an automotive relay installed.
CTEK Sweden have devised a simple solution for using your CTEK D250S Dual with a smart alternator. By including a 30A automotive relay into your system, you can successfully install a CTEK D250S Dual into your modern vehicle with a smart alternator.

The CTEK D250S Dual DC-DC charger will charge, condition and maintain your dual battery system, with the ability to charge from both your alternator while your vehicle is running, and your solar panels while your vehicle is turned off. The relay is designed to go between these two power sources and your CTEK D250S Dual, and is activated by vehicle ignition. Allowing the CTEK D250S Dual to work with a smart alternator.

From what I can make out, a smart alternator, when the main battery is charged, will reduce the current output to a point that wont allow the D250s to turn on. But the solar input will turn it on with a lower current so it turns on and the alternator then senses the second battery and will start to charge it.

If the BT50 does not have a smart alternator then the relay is superfluous as you say. But I might have to refer to my local electronics expert (help :help: Boots)

Firie Phil

Apr 15, 2015
Maryborough Qld.
Could any one tell me if 2014 colarado has a smart charger as I too wish to hook up a CTECduo.
I have used the double fuse holders for fitting light bars / spotlights to operate the relay. great invention. I used the fuse for Hi beam and ran the other to the relay. Job done . I do know that you are supposed to leagley have an off switch for the spotties but I have never used one

Last edited:

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Has anyone used one of these. I was talking to the head techo at the Mazda dealer today while getting the BT50 serviced and asked about connecting to ignition circuits without blowing the ECU and he told me they use these to operate a relay then anything can be operated of the relay. Just replace the fuse with this, refit the fuse to this and a new fuse of appropriate size for the relay. Sounds easy. :noidea:
$T2eC16JHJIcFHO(pWLBiBSRScMu2u!~~60_12.jpg

Yes these work very well and are very simple. If you need an AGM for your tub I have a few left. http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/cheap-agm-batteries-for-sale.6264/

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks @Brenton but I have a 105 AH Fusion waiting to be installed. I have plugged a couple of "piggy back fuses" in, one for ignition circuits with a relay and an extra fuse block and a second in a fuse to run my UHF radio. So far so good. :D

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Thanks @Brenton but I have a 105 AH Fusion waiting to be installed. I have plugged a couple of "piggy back fuses" in, one for ignition circuits with a relay and an extra fuse block and a second in a fuse to run my UHF radio. So far so good. :D

All good sounds like it is all running perfect!