Drovers Return to the world of Jeep

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sadly the RG Colorado, so wonderfully set up for effortless Off Grid Camping has to leave my garage ,:blue: age has caught up with its owners, a smoother ride was needed which seat upgrades couldn't cover ........... So Mrs D decided we'd go back to the future and another Grand Cherokee ........... The criteria was pretty selective, 2015 or later, 3lt diesel, 8 speed, 60 to 80,000 km and meet our budget $$$ including trade on the Ute..........
The bank had given approval for the $$$$, so we started looking, 2 days later up pops an add for a 2015 WK2 Grand, 40,000km just on budget, no pics provided, locked it in, did a snappy 150km trip and we were that quick the salesman didn't realize his Boss's car was on the lot with a sticker, 12 hrs , this vehicle we wanted soon as we walked across the yard, ECB Bullbar, side steps, tow bar, nice paint, inside was like new and had the Jeep mats and stuff, most amazing was no brake controller, it had taken the 6x4 to the tip sometimes, bonanza ..................... I sat in it, took it for a drive, luckily we had the money as we were both ready to trade a couple of grandchildren in as well, this vehicle was the one, we had jumped on it at the right time,:cool: it really is like new, even down to the smell, Dealers must have it in a pressure pak can....
With The Colorado I just walked in traded the old WG Jeep and paid cash for the rest, this time I had to do the bank dance, while it was nice to talk to someone born here .:blah: thankfully, its still a drawn out pain and to that end the Jeep should be in my driveway Thursday or Friday :cheer2: if the bank transfers don't take all week......:confusion:.......

More pics will follow as I transform this Jeep from yuppie Toorak tractor to a surprising Off The Grid multi function vehicle, I'm not letting out any ideas yet....as I have no idea ATM. :confused:.,..but it will be amazing, I'm too old to lift stuff in and out and not into ginning around packing crap nicely, it will be a totally functional vehicle, many fellas would come up to the Colorado and loved the ease of which I set up camp, well this Jeep will be the same, going to have to supercharge the Inovative Genes I think, as its not going to be easy to apply the KiSS Principle................being broke now doesn't help but hasn't stopped me before (in fact broke is the usual state ).

Okay hit the follow button and prepare to be amazed, :couch2: ......just don't hold your breath it may take nearly as long as Crusty's Mine Truck......:D

emJ3.jpg ................Colour is Crystal Grey or something like that.

emJ4.jpg......................WK2 2015 3lt Diesel Laredo with ECB Bull bar

emJ5.jpg .....................Side steps & 18" wheels and the original Michies still have plenty of meat, Geolanders will replace them .......

PS: 0 to 100kph in 8.2 seconds .............................................price tag covered to protect the envious.

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
18s not cheap that bull bar is going to need some elbow greese to keep it nice the prado one looked nice once but now i could paint it black all jokes aside well done you deserve it hope it serves you well but its not a toyota

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Compared to the one on my old Truck this one is just a tiny bit of shine, they really don't take much effort if you know how....18s lot better than 20s....if I had to fit a bar, I quite liked the ironman jobs but this one will have to make do, if it does become a pain I will pull it off and spray it.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think I'm beyond man bag rubbish, I have my fishing bag what more does one need...... No fish comments either Crackers.........

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
I did see a rear draw setup on a Jeep in carsales that had lift up access with struts to get to the spare (can't remember why I was on carsales looking???)
You wont have to do much to get it prepared for off the grid they are actually pretty good standard and the choice of tyres is pretty good now for the 18's at first there was no choice but now most brands have them, the clolour looks crap in the pics but my nephew has one in the same colour it looks nice in the flesh!!

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Sadly the RG Colorado, so wonderfully set up for effortless Off Grid Camping has to leave my garage ,:blue: age has caught up with its owners, a smoother ride was needed which seat upgrades couldn't cover ........... So Mrs D decided we'd go back to the future and another Grand Cherokee ........... The criteria was pretty selective, 2015 or later, 3lt diesel, 8 speed, 60 to 80,000 km and meet our budget $$$ including trade on the Ute..........
The bank had given approval for the $$$$, so we started looking, 2 days later up pops an add for a 2015 WK2 Grand, 40,000km just on budget, no pics provided, locked it in, did a snappy 150km trip and we were that quick the salesman didn't realize his Boss's car was on the lot with a sticker, 12 hrs , this vehicle we wanted soon as we walked across the yard, ECB Bullbar, side steps, tow bar, nice paint, inside was like new and had the Jeep mats and stuff, most amazing was no brake controller, it had taken the 6x4 to the tip sometimes, bonanza ..................... I sat in it, took it for a drive, luckily we had the money as we were both ready to trade a couple of grandchildren in as well, this vehicle was the one, we had jumped on it at the right time,:cool: it really is like new, even down to the smell, Dealers must have it in a pressure pak can....
With The Colorado I just walked in traded the old WG Jeep and paid cash for the rest, this time I had to do the bank dance, while it was nice to talk to someone born here .:blah: thankfully, its still a drawn out pain and to that end the Jeep should be in my driveway Thursday or Friday :cheer2: if the bank transfers don't take all week......:confusion:.......

More pics will follow as I transform this Jeep from yuppie Toorak tractor to a surprising Off The Grid multi function vehicle, I'm not letting out any ideas yet....as I have no idea ATM. :confused:.,..but it will be amazing, I'm too old to lift stuff in and out and not into ginning around packing crap nicely, it will be a totally functional vehicle, many fellas would come up to the Colorado and loved the ease of which I set up camp, well this Jeep will be the same, going to have to supercharge the Inovative Genes I think, as its not going to be easy to apply the KiSS Principle................being broke now doesn't help but hasn't stopped me before (in fact broke is the usual state ).

Okay hit the follow button and prepare to be amazed, :couch2: ......just don't hold your breath it may take nearly as long as Crusty's Mine Truck......:D

View attachment 63769 ................Colour is Crystal Grey or something like that.

View attachment 63770......................WK2 2015 3lt Diesel Laredo with ECB Bull bar

View attachment 63771 .....................Side steps & 18" wheels and the original Michies still have plenty of meat, Geolanders will replace them .......

PS: 0 to 100kph in 8.2 seconds .............................................price tag covered to protect the envious.

I say @Drover , not like you to be splashing money around, but I guess it is a step forward. What happened to your dream tug - the Dodge Ram- which eats utes for breakfast? With the Ram as your tug, you could do the same time 0 to 100 kph with Big Mal hooked up behind!!! Good luck with new vehicle, hope it does you well.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well thats all over and done with ...................... The Jeep is now in my garage, so no more listening for the phone or email and I can get back to full time retirement.............now to figure out how all these fancy dancy things work, most impressed with the paddle gear shift be very handy with the Van and it shows Tranny Temp, great stuff........................

emH1.jpg

Oh and @Boots in Action the RAM 1500 is still on the list they haven't been around long enough yet to fit into my purchase guideline of couple of years old, reasonable Kms on clock and a decent price, it will happen in time, this purchase slugged me nearly $3K in mongrel taxes the robbing p%&$#s.........but mrs D's back is very thankful for the ride and other than working and cleaning this thing I doubt I will get much chance to drive it, she loves Grand Cherokees thats why we have had 3 I think.

emH2.jpg

and a final pic of the Colorado, a superb set up for off grid camping and a damn reliable vehicle......

...........................IMG_20190809_130331.jpg

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well thats all over and done with ...................... The Jeep is now in my garage, so no more listening for the phone or email and I can get back to full time retirement.............now to figure out how all these fancy dancy things work, most impressed with the paddle gear shift be very handy with the Van and it shows Tranny Temp, great stuff........................

View attachment 63778

Oh and @Boots in Action the RAM 1500 is still on the list they haven't been around long enough yet to fit into my purchase guideline of couple of years old, reasonable Kms on clock and a decent price, it will happen in time, this purchase slugged me nearly $3K in mongrel taxes the robbing p%&$#s.........but mrs D's back is very thankful for the ride and other than working and cleaning this thing I doubt I will get much chance to drive it, she loves Grand Cherokees thats why we have had 3 I think.

View attachment 63779

and a final pic of the Colorado, a superb set up for off grid camping and a damn reliable vehicle......

...........................View attachment 63780
It is a nice looking car, a little bit posh I think

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It is a nice looking car, a little bit posh I think

I was thinking "yuppie" myself. I think next time we are camping by the Gwydir I'm gonna miss my Ute.

Looked at the Jeep Shop and the genuine Jeep bits added to it along with the ECB bar ($2900) adds up to over $5,500, mind boggling ,side steps $1600, floor mats $200 and cargo mat $180 or there abouts, I know I wouldn't have forked out that much.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But you'll be right at home when you throw the keys to the valet in the portico of the Hyatt Hotel, taking Mrs D out to High Tea

More like The Snak Shack at Tin Can Bay where I wear my going out Things.................