Drovers new Rig - "Big Mal"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So far this trip Big Mal has been going well, pots and pans slider bounced its door off on the dirt, an easy fix thankfully, dirt suppression worked well when I remembered to put newspaper over door vent ..... power supply has been great, a month so far and just sun powered, the portable has hardly been used and when I plugged it in to sons Ute to run his fridge it had a fault but later I discovered a dry solder joint, 9 years till it let go...now sorted and doing well........ New fridge is working as good as a compressor job, proper insulation of cabinet makes a hell of a difference, something most vans lack........Probably clock up 3K km this trip, good wear trial for new tyres....

Reactions: Hitting the road

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well unhitched and parked up at home, diesel heater got a bit of work coming home, about 7 lts worth and the addition of some Fuel Doctor has seemed to got it running better, probably gave the insides a good clean out, runs quieter heats up quicker .................. Might do a reconfig of panels on roof if it ever stops raining, adjust mounting so water can't pool on them and away from AC shadow..... 3500km trip this time and mostly towing, covered in dirt and not getting a wash until the place dries out, been a swamp at home since Xmas so far ................................... Also contemplating air bags in the rear springs of the Jeep as WDH is giving me the sh*ts and would save about 30kgs or so, only need it to take a bit of load of the Nivomat shocks and hold off the porpoising on some of our lovely QLD roads such as around the Darling Downs/Maranoa, sea sick tabs are needed on some of them..........

Big Mal is 13 years old this year, racked up a lot of Kms in that time, as usual a good dose of TLC in coming weeks, might just get the spray polish now though can't handle the hand polishing nowadays ...............

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey Ian I put airbags in my jeep ran them at around 10-15 psi no WDH and performed well over the course of 3 vans

Its getting serious thought Dave, just have to drill through three panels to run the line but they sound like a big pain as the first one needs to be 19mm so a sizer will be needed then the other 2 at 13mm need to be angled, so should be fun to do........................... getting someone to do it is about the same price of the units so it will be DiY..................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
PS I bought mine from Michigan truck spares back then $100 delivered in around a week
Thats right I recall talking to you about it and even by then the price had risen, about $400 for a set now for Airbag Man HD kit.... going with them means they are local and I can bash on a desk ......... Been thinking if the Sachs Nivomatt self levelling shocks fail I will be up for a grand or so to replace them so if I chuck some bags on, set up to take a bit of the load from the shocks at least if the shocks go I can fit some gas shocks without any drama, I have already replaced the springs and front struts ages ago to give it a lift, so not relying on the original soft ride rubbish.

Reactions: DRW