Drovers new Rig - "Big Mal"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
www.expandasdownunder.com
The water pump on many trips has become noisy and flow has dropped, to which I have announced after checking for air leaks that I will pull the tank off, well having said that more times than I care to count, I finally pulled the tank off and lo and behold a large bit of drill swirl was flushed out, only been there for 10 years (could have taken me 5 years of forgetting about it) anyway pulled both tanks off as they were sitting in a goodly amount of red dirt and pebbbles in their stone shields................best part is I didn't break anything, pump runs much quieter as well....... Next is to replace the mixer in shower and its plumbing as it restricts flow... (that job has been on the list for awhile as well)...............

IMG_20210720_112110.jpg

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Next is to replace the mixer in shower and its plumbing as it restricts flow.
I took a punt replace our shower rose with an Ecocamel low flow from England. The gamble paid off, its freaken awesome. I have the shower line flow restricted to save water, no jerking around or fumbling trying to choke the flow with the mixer, just rip it on full and the shower flows at a measely 3.5ltr/minute with a great pattern that is better than the factory running at full tilt. Cant recommend the Ecocamel highly enough

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I replaced mine last year as the old one was well and truly knackered but in my set up the shower has a mixer tap but also a selector tap for shower or sink this means the line reduces for it and stays reduced until after the shower mixer, okay with a good mains pressur ebut not so the pump so I'm going to remove the selector tap and replace the shower mixer, get rid of a few bottlenecks in the system then..... hopefully then I will have to turn the tap down a bit, pressure not bad but volume is a bit iffy.........

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I replaced mine last year as the old one was well and truly knackered but in my set up the shower has a mixer tap but also a selector tap for shower or sink this means the line reduces for it and stays reduced until after the shower mixer, okay with a good mains pressur ebut not so the pump so I'm going to remove the selector tap and replace the shower mixer, get rid of a few bottlenecks in the system then..... hopefully then I will have to turn the tap down a bit, pressure not bad but volume is a bit iffy.........
Do you have a combo bathroom ??? Im not visualising your sink/shower selector.

The Ecocamel has a small air intake venturi or manifold that kinda fluffs up the water volume. Its a interesting concept thats been around while, and one ive seen as a similar but fixed version in a caravan park shower block. It certainly works, and along with an awesome low flow pattern, the 3.5ltrs per minute is more than enough and helps extend our freecamping capacity significantly with no real sacrifice. The Princess doesnt complain about water flow or volume, and believe me thats siginificant

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They do sound interesting might have to chase one up, see a website has them here ...................... just a single shower cubicle but the wall module has a small sink built into it, tap and mixer just above, it did have a mirror set above it but the backing started to go so I covered it with tape then tapped it with a hammer, easier than unscrewing it.................... sink is big enough to wash out a razor I suppose, just used for putting stuff in.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The new tow hitch did make a problem for my WDH bars in that the brackets for the rails to hang off need to be further forward as the ball is now a few inches further out............ So the clamp for the jockey wheel was in the way, thankfully the original was redundant and being used for the Sat Dish post as I fitted a truly amazing side winder jockey wheel which is so easy Mrs D can wind it up, anyway, a very delicate operation with cutter and grinder I got the bracket off the draw bar with out gouging away at the chassis, now just need to hook up and hit the road to check........... My old fitting I made for the Sat Dish post which I thankfully never removed , has now been modified and the old clamp fits nicely, everything got a coat of silver and with typical style once I put my tools away I gave the concrete and van a quick hose down to get rid of the grinder dirt, I now have a poor mans hammer finish on my silver painted draw bar.......

While I was hoping with the suspension upgrade on the Jeep I could do away with the WDH, I find for undulating roads it does make the ride better, no porpoising, its not much but annoying, van is level with or without them......