Drilling into the roof

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi All,

I wanted to replace my antenna with one of the Saturn versions. The unit comes with an adaptor bracket that is basically pop riveted into the roof. So when I had a look at the roof closely for the first time I notice how much movement there is in the roof sheeting itself. Thus I became a bit unsure as to the best way to drill in my couple of holes.

Is there any things I should be careful or be aware of when drilling into the roof?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Bumping this in the hope someone has some thoughts on drilling into the roof.
Would love to give his a shot over the weekend.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Sorry can't help you, all I know is when Jayco installed ours they used about 3kg of sikaflex.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hey Brad,

The roof is fiberglass outside with the ply inside. In between is foam like vegie boxes, when drilling don't put to much pressure on the drill as once you go through the fiber glass it wont take much to go through the foam. A trick i have used is to work out roughly how deep you want to drill and wrap masking tape around the drill bit half a dozen times at that depth, when drilling the tape will stop you going to deep.

The glass is bonded to the foam to make 1 piece but it still has a lot of flex in it and seems to delaminate easily.

Cheers

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I was wondering the same but on a much larger scale. I really miss having a sky light like our old Hawk, and because we don't hve a shower toilet in our model, no sky light. It is very dark.

Has anyone attempted a sky light?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
no but give it shot and let us know how it goes. :D
We wanted one from purchase but Jayco said not on a pop top roof for some reason