drawbar tyre frame strong enough for bike rack

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
as per title was wondering if the using the tyre frame on the drawbar for mounting a towbar style bike rack was strong enough and finding another spot for the tyre?

i have tried the trailmax adaptor for the rear bumper bar and dont recommend as it strated to bend plus bounces around too much?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
What did you have in mind @sledge, not sure I'd trust the bars for the spare underneath for bike racks....I recon they should be cut off for more clearance anyway. I've always thought the round bars are just not strong enough for bikes, even with that adaptor :behindsofa:.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
What did you have in mind @sledge, not sure I'd trust the bars for the spare underneath for bike racks....I recon they should be cut off for more clearance anyway. I've always thought the round bars are just not strong enough for bikes, even with that adaptor :behindsofa:.
Im just trying to work out where else I can safely mount the bike carrier Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Im just trying to work out where else I can safely mount the bike carrier Burnsy
There's been a few members that have mounted on A frame using various methods, other than that it's a new heavier rear bar for a bike rack. Have a bit of a search through the forum, you should find a few ideas, I'd copy and paste a few for you if I knew how to on iPad!
Cheers.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I liked it Sledge because we got the rack back as far as possible and clears the gas bottle nicely. Maybe you can cut all the steel and drill the plates and get a mate to weld it up? It`s not a big job if you do all the prep work.

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
Thanks very much for the offer Matt however I have a nephew in Melbourne that is a boilermaker so I might see what he can come up with. I was just looking at all your other mods and got to say you certainly have some great ideas. I will keep you posted with how I go.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hey was there any reason you chose to mount the bracket that way and not weld directly onto the chassis?
Yeah sledge I don't like the idea of welding to the drawbar (no chance of weakening of fatigue) and also resale as it can be removed if the next owners don't require it.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Rather than having fabricated to mount onto the drawbar, I had one of these made to allow me to use it with and without the van.
http://www.tradesmantrailers.com.au/Bike Rax/berns beaks index.htm

62ADBB51-912C-426D-93D5-1F758E7F1E2E-6869-0000157F66937614.jpg

Reactions: 17triton