Toy Hauler drawbar toolbox mount mod:

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
After some research, I saw z bloke with a toolbox/spare tyre mounting solution I thought was good and copied it....
Basically this mod goes:
cut off the current steel spare mount from the drawbar, removed the gas lines and mounts and regulator mounts:
image.jpeg

Weld in a 1500 long crossmember (75x50x2 rhs) with a 75x 3 flatbar in the center welded to the next crossmember back
image.jpeg

Mount a spare wheel winch from a 4wd ute on the new section (good idea to pre drill mounts before you weld the crossmember in)
image.jpeg

Winch up the spare I set mine up so it cave reached with a 19mm socket (same as wheel nuts and stabiliser legs) and extension from the off side of the van:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now the spare tyre is mounted, now to set up the box and gas cylinders (will do in a new post)

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
I found a 1500x650x500 box is just right.
If putting gas cylinders in the box, cut in some ventilation panels in the back to ensure no build up of gas:
image.jpeg

I mounted the gas regulator and selector valve in the toolbox and set it up with stainless braided lines. I bolted in some tie down straps to secure the cylinders, and added some anchor points to secure other items:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bolt the box down on to the gas cylinder plates and bolt back to the 75 x 50 crossmember to secure the box and reduce movement in it as these boxes are pretty light and flexible. The 1500x650x500 box is a perfect fit.... Add some doorstops to the door so it does not contact the underside of the bed end when opening the toolbox with bed end down and Give it a bout 30mm clearance from the front of the van to allow a bit of flex
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Still plenty of room for Fuel and oils, tool box, levelling ramps, and chainsaw:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next I'm going to add a strip of led lighting in the lid of the toolbox To light up in the box and drawbar when it's open. Should be easy enough to take power from the light in the boot to ensure it is isolated by the battery switch (can't be accidentally left on inside the box!)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Agree.

I thought gas bottles had to be totally separate from any ignition source, even if ventilated.

I'd be storing other stuff in there rather than extra fuel and chainsaw.

Could be wrong but certainly worth making sure.

Reactions: Delano

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Thanks for the honest feedback guys.

I see the point re. lighting as a possible ignition source and was considering that too..... but the chainsaw and fuel I don't consider a problem? Better than having them inside the van/car as now ....is there any difference between motorbikes and chainsaw?
I just googled the hell out of it and can find lots of opinion on both sides.... Id be happy to be corrected!

Got a few more mods coming up....
Rear bumper with attachment points for an ally ramp/step might have to wait till after my Christmas trip...
But working some internal shelving/storage improvements this week. I will post up and I'm happy to receive any constructive criticism/suggestions to improve.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks like you've done a really good job with the toolbox but, as said, would be careful with other stuff added if gas bottles are in there.

LED lights would be a bit iffy I think....and would certainly worry about the fuel etc.

Worth checking...don't want to be a Jonah but would prefer to be careful and safe.

Reactions: bigcol

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
You could just enclose the led light strip in a clear tube, cap the end with silicon, run the leads outside the box and have the switch somewhere back towards the van somewhere if you worked out it could be an issue. No ignition source inside the box then.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-AQUA...843183?hash=item2a519c96ef:g:tsEAAOSwpDdVZVyW

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Bar-12...305399?hash=item3cccb2c3f7:g:3cMAAOSwiLdWBOkF

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5M-5050-...278563?hash=item5673a370e3:g:77gAAOSwstxVMMor ?

Last edited:

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I'd be getting a gas bloke to check that out mate, I can google any theory I have and find something on the internet to back it up. The fact that you say opinion is divided screams out get an expert opinion.
I'd be looking into those gas bottles, might not be legal. I can't see any support underneath any of those gas bottles, just a couple of mm of checkerplate, also a webbing strap around the gas bottle?? :)

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nice tidy job......concern about the bottles is well founded they are supposed to be away from ignition source, must be vented just a hole in floor is okay and something that we are all guilty of and thats nothing to be packed around them, in fact kept seperate from gear, as well as being secure, they will bounce and wear thru the floor in no time.
I would also add a few more clips to the plumbing as that wire mesh will wear away if it's allowed to rub against stuff.
Silicon tape where the hose passes thru the box is a No, No use a proper plastic grommet
I hope you didn't weld across the top of the chassis rail either.
I sound too critical, I know but I like your mod just needs some loose ends tidied.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
Nice tidy job......concern about the bottles is well founded they are supposed to be away from ignition source, must be vented just a hole in floor is okay and something that we are all guilty of and thats nothing to be packed around them, in fact kept seperate from gear, as well as being secure, they will bounce and wear thru the floor in no time.
I would also add a few more clips to the plumbing as that wire mesh will wear away if it's allowed to rub against stuff.
Silicon tape where the hose passes thru the box is a No, No use a proper plastic grommet
I hope you didn't weld across the top of the chassis rail either.
I sound too critical, I know but I like your mod just needs some loose ends tidied.
Critique is why I posted, it's my first go at one of these..... I'm sure I can improve it ;)

I hear you about securing the cylinder....I was thinking of some rubber under the cylinder to prevent it vibrating a hole through the base of the box

There are big vents in the bottom, plus some at the top for make up air, and that is a full rubber boot over the line where the it passes through the box, not silicone tape.....
They are only 600mm long gas lines, to put any more clamps on would make it difficult to fit up to the cylinder....
And no, I did not weld across the chassis rail.....
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
I'd be getting a gas bloke to check that out mate, I can google any theory I have and find something on the internet to back it up. The fact that you say opinion is divided screams out get an expert opinion.
I'd be looking into those gas bottles, might not be legal. I can't see any support underneath any of those gas bottles, just a couple of mm of checkerplate, also a webbing strap around the gas bottle?? :)

That 250 kg rated tie down strap plus the 150x50 rhs chassis and the standard gas cylinder mount plate sit under the cylinder.... I'm satisfied.

Many caravans have the cylinders mounted in the boot, but I think they have a bulkhead in there to divide the cylinder from other gear.... ?
New ones do, but I'm pretty sure I have seen older ones that don't.?

Reactions: spiderpig

nawill

May 18, 2015
Queanbeyan
On the silverline do Jayco put a light in the boot?
Yep. 2 cylinders on a slide with a seperate access door at one side. In their own compartment (not in the general boot) Some of the pop tops have the cylinders in the boot too, and just a plastic bulkhead to seperate them from general storage.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

@crustt makes a good point. In NSW you are supposed to get a gas cert after any plumbing mods and that includes disconnecting a reg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
You need to get a cert gas fitter for installation.
As I understand the regs, replacing pigtails, regulators etc is considered "maintenance" and has no requirement.

Used to be a gas fitter on here called @rags he would know.

Reactions: nawill

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Definately worth checking, methinks.

Check out Holden Mans post on " gas explosion in van" and you'll understand why some of us are understandably careful about anything to do with gas.

Near enough is not good enough IMHO.

Better to be safe than sorry....and nobody's being critical...just erring on the side of caution.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Better to be safe than sorry....and nobody's being critical...just erring on the side of caution.
Completely agree and I would add that there should be a gas hazard sticker on the box.

I've come across 2 incidents where HiAce style vans were blown up by something as simple as a small gas leak that when the driver activated their keyfob to unlock doors it created a sufficient spark in the mechanism to set it off. It's why I will not carry a gas cylinder in an enclosed vehicle, even a supposedly empty one to take for replacement. At home I'll take the open tray ute and with the van I'd rather pay extra at a Caravan Park for a changeover or wait while on the road to go through a fuel stop. Paranoia can be taken to extremes though as with industrial gas plants banning petrol engine vehicles from inside their site because of the spark issue but allow modern vehicles with all their electric operations so long as they are diesel powered.

We did have the gas bottles inside a very similar front tool box, with vents and sticker, but we wanted to take the genie so I had a Gas Fitter relocate and recertify the plumbing and now have the bottles in front of the box and between the "A" frame rails. Having the extended "A" frame allowed room for this.

BTW, for other people I did read somewhere a while back that while older vans with exposed gas bottles so often have had the bottles fitted outside of the "A" frame rails that proposed new rules state that they have to now be on the inside of the rails for new vans to minimise potential physical damage issues or where there is has been modifications to the gas bottle mountings that this also applies. I don't know if this has actually happened though but I did choose out setup based on that possibility.