Draining hot water service & refilling ?

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Just want to know how this is done fellas ?
Is the over flow handle/lever the thing that fills the tank ? But how do I go about emptying the tank ?

I have an issue with not getting hot water thru running 240 system. Its doin my head in. Was working no worries before it was dropped off at Jayco Cairns for a few mods but now zero hot water from 240.
When I lift the hot water gas system overflow lever up water poors from under the van where the overflow is , so I am assuming the tank is full.

Got on me hands & knees to check ALL plugs in cubboards & under van for any wires that may be not connected but again everything looked OK.
Is there a seperate 240 hot water system from the external gas setup hotwater system fellas ? If there is I have no idea where it may be.
:help:
Cheers, Doggy.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Doggy, there is a black switch on the outside of the van on the HWS to turn it on to 240v, when you pull down the flap its on the left hand side tucked away a bit and there should be an on off switch. It is a good habit to get into every time you pack up from a campsite and disconnect the power is to turn the HWS service off as when you get home and plug you forget that the HWS is still running.

Draining the tank I only do this when changing the anode, I have a small aluminium rod with a bottle brush cleaner on the end and I stick that in the anode hole to push back and forth to get all the white anode crap out of the tank, I then put the hose in the hole to put some water in and repeat the process till the water is all clean coming out.

Christian

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Doggy. Stone Stomper has covered it well. The switch is a small rocker switch hidden away among the pipes and wires under the external cover of the HWS. I was in denial for some time as I could not find the thing butit is there. As SS says, turn it off when not on 240V or when home and don't want hot water.

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Thanks mate for that Stomper.

Question mate. That switch you are talking of has always stayed on. Could this have buggered the anode even though thw hot water system has always been full Stomper?

Just to clear up what you are sying mate.
You say to operate 240 volt hot water that switch needs to be in the on position. & turn it off when travelling. Is that right?

Also Stomper when I wish to turn to gas hot water do I turn that switch to the OFF position to use the gas or leave it in the ON position ?

Cheers,
Doggy.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The switch needs to be in the on position for 240v and in the off position for gas.

I leave my switch off all the time.

What I do if staying at a CP with 240v is plug in the extension cord then flick the HWS switch to on then I know its done. When packing up I turn the HWS switch to off then unplug the lead, that way when you get home and plug the Expanda back in the HWS wont be on. :thumb:

ALSO

Thanks Christian I picked up a new anode the other day so thanks for the tips on how to replace it.:clap2:

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
That's the best way as cruza driver says with switching off and on when setting up and packing up with your extension lead, this way you don't have to think about it, if it was left on when traveling this will be fine. When you have the hws on gas it is recommended to turn the 240v switch off.

Leaving the switch on all of the time should not have made any difference to the anode unless when the van has been stored at home and you have the power connected and on all the time I'm sure this would not do the anode any good. I change mine every 12months at about $30

No worries cruza, also a tip before removing the anode is to silicone the bottom surround of the hws, you will see that there is an overlap join of the metal surround and this could let the water into the wall cavity when the anode is removed and make sure you have turned to hot tap on as there could be pressure in the tank and shoot the anode out.

Cheers

Christian

Reactions: cruza driver

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
:der: Thanks fellas, Cruiser that will be my approach to it mate thank you. I am very clear on it now.

Fellas, just realized hot water service backs up under the couch. Took the sliding draw out & wow! Guess what I found? DER a bloody lead from the service to power point !

Guess what ?

Not TURNED ON !

Jayco must have turned it off. Flicked it on & Yaaaaaa ! HOT BLOODY WATER!!!! Lol.

How stupid I feel. Told missus got hot water now. She said , why didn't you check that first? Why didn't I ? Cause it just come to my attention there has to be another power point somewhere, so knowing I didn't get into that draw while checking everywhere I went straight in & Bingo.

Thanks again fellas. Well worth asking you all the question before & rang Jayco tomorrow & looked twice as stupid ay.

Cheers, One happy Doggy.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
on our old van the power point was easy to get at. the new van its buried.

it sh1ts me know end the way Jayco run the pipe straight up in front of the anode making changing it or draining the tank that much harder. other manufacturers dont do this, ideally you should drain your tank if you are not going to use it for a fair while.

taje00

Feb 5, 2012
Sutherland Shire NSW
Hi Jim,
I am about to change the anode in my Expanda for the first time and have just bought the 27 mm socket to remove the anode. That was the first thing I said when I had a look at the anode, WHY WOULD YOU RUN THE PIPE STRAIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ANODE :mmph: Thanks for the tip on cleaning out the tank.
I'm a newbie on this forum and have already found some useful info Thanks
Terry

taje00

Feb 5, 2012
Sutherland Shire NSW
Draining the hot water system and checking the anode

IMG_0011 (Large).JPGIMG_0013 (Large).JPGIMG_0015 (Large).JPGIMG_0016 (Large).JPGIMG_0019 (Large).JPG

Today I decided it was 18 months since we bought the van and have read that you should replace the anode in your hot water system ever 12 months so I thought I would take a look at ours.
I first siliconed around the base so when I took the anode out water doesn't go into the van. Then after turning on the hot tap in the van and releasing the pressure from the pressure release valve I removed the anode and to my surprise :shocked: it still had about half left so I put it back and will check again in 6 months. The new one I purchased is a little thicker in diameter to the old on so I should get a bit more out of it when I replace it.
Couldn't believe how much white residue was in the bottom of the tank from the anode. Glade we don't drink the water that comes from the hot water tank.
Regards Terry

Reactions: Paul Watterson