Door lock

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Whist away, we found the door lock became faulty. When turning the key to unlock, the key was removed from the lock before returning to the upright position (which it shouldn't be able to do). The key went back in, but refused to turn. The door remained locked.

We ended up having to get a locksmith out (who was already booked solid for a Monday but was around the corner and came in a matter of minutes - top guy). Explained the problem and responded "Oh #### - those locks are a problem". It seems it is a common problem, and when occurs good and proper is a real bad thing. He seems to average a call out a month. Thankfully, in our case the top and bottom security locks hadn't engaged and thus the door was eventually 'encouraged' to open. (I do now need to repair the striker plate tho). The lock works again as it should, but will still get replaced.

Before the locksmith arrived, I put a call through to Jayco. They were far from helpful, with a "Nope can't help you. No way to unlock when that happens. Try a locksmith, they may be able to something. Good luck, bye"

The locksmith explained in other situations, where the top and bottom locks had engaged as they should, a window had to be removed out of the wall to gain entry, and then much time spent pulling the lock apart from the inside (which can't be reassembled).

So, I need to replace the lock now, but it can still happen again just as easily. It's nice to know the locks are secure enough that the vans could struggle to be broken in to, but if someone is locked inside when something like this happens, what would you do?????

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Bugger thats no good. I would be certainly writing to Jayco as I think its a design fault in the lock! They should not be putting locks on vans if they know they can be a problem. Imagine a small child locked in the van! Our old 16.49.1 our grandson use to play with the lock constantly but I think the older locks are different. You know on an expanda if you put the bed down all the canvas is just velcroed on so is the pop top area at the ends.you can just pull it off the and climb in keep it in mind.
Regards Jenny

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The canvas is velcroed on the campers, but I thought it was effectively clamped between the top and bottom faces of the bed bases. Theres only a small amount of velcro where it folds in the hinge ends
??

And, yes, Jayco is certainly being told of it!!

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We could get the lift the canvas out from our 16.49.1 and when we had the satellite cable done the tech guys pulled the pop top vinyl right away from van. I assumed they all do that. Maybe they don.t. I haven't checked out our van yet but will have a closer look. Need to have a plan in case the lock plays up!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks for the 'heads up' SD, its good to be aware of this problem. Its a bit of a worry that for sure. What year is your van?

Did the locksmaith or Jayco say if any preventative maintenance would help prevent this issue in the future? i.e. regularly use silicon spary or something like that?

when i got my van i was told to buy a can of silicon spray and give all the locks a quick squirt every now an then, which i try to do.

Keep us posted witgh how you go with Jayco:smile:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I had a problem with our door, not so much the lock but the screen door used to go past the striker if closed too hard and you could not open again.My daughter got locked in one weekend and I had to remove striker from outside which was lucky I could get to the screws. The problem was fixed when I packed out the striker between the door frame and the aluminium architrave, so basically the door opening was cut too big!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hey Burnsy, we had the exact same issue but with a little fella, my fix was to remove the 3 strikers and space them out with washers I then resealed behind the striker with double sided tape.

Seems to have worked so far. It also fixed another issue whereby you would close the door but not be able to activate the lock as the pin was not touching the striker.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hmmm maybe I will go and get the Camec key alike locks after all . Best thing to lube lock barrels with is graphite powder, CRC type lubricant and to a lesser extent Silicone sprays can cause dirt & dust to stick in the pins and jam them up.