20' Series Door Latch

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi all, we were heading up to Airlie Beach yesterday when the door on our van blew open. The design, (which IMHO), is the dumbest design ever, means that if this happens, the wind rips it open as it is hinged from the back. The screen door was shut and locked, but the little black catches that hold the outside door closed let go, allowing it to come open. Luckily there are only a couple of small dents in the door. I’ll replace it as my OCD won’t let me leave it like that.
I reckon the initial cause was that I didn’t shut it properly, probably had only 1 or 2 of the catches in properly which allowed the wind to get under it and break the others.

A good lesson for all maybe..

Cheers
David

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I agree with your assessment of the right hinged doors opening with the wind, ludicrous. I tried valiantly to order our van with a left hinged door, and Jayco resisted even harder. Oddly, Jaycos with doors positioned at the rear mostly are mostly left hinged, opening against the wind, so they have left hinged doors in stock and they fit in the exact same hole. A left hinge would protect me from your issue, and in my case allow the kitchen window to open .... I was going to just replace it myself after delivery, but then I discovered it would cost $1200 for the door, ouch. I did contemplate just flipping my door upside down, but lost interest after a while

My door swung closed in the wind (while parked up) and shattered those plastic clips, and it was a real bugger to line up the replacements to close and open correctly. As a result of that incident many years ago Ive been in the OCD habit of giving the door 3 firm pushes over the clip locations each time before I drive off.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Not good at all. I hope it isnt an expensive fix.
I'm one of the luckily ones (only know of 1 other person on here) who shall we say 'sweet talked' Jayco into building our van with a left hand hinge. I'm glad I did, not only for being able to open the kitchen window while the door is open, but for that very reason.

Reactions: G Daddy and Drover