Interior Dometic fridge on Gas

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Can anyone give me some info on how heavy on gas are the Dometic fridges (150 L )
got a trip coming up where we will be off the grid for a couple of days
ive tried DC overnight which wasn't very successful as the fridge didn't maintain a cold temp.
Cheers Sean

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We had the 150l Dometic in the Expanda I think I worked out it would struggle to make more than 30days on a 9 kg bottle of LPG :p:p:p

That's all you should run it in off the grid. The 12v is only for towing.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Can anyone give me some info on how heavy on gas are the Dometic fridges (150 L )
got a trip coming up where we will be off the grid for a couple of days
ive tried DC overnight which wasn't very successful as the fridge didn't maintain a cold temp.
Cheers Sean
they run best on gas better than AC sorry cant say how much gas they use but someone will

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
We had the 150l Dometic in the Expanda I think I worked out it would struggle to make more than 30days on a 9 kg bottle of LPG :p:p:p

That's all you should run it in off the grid. The 12v is only for towing.
30 days is pretty damn good
Found out the hard way about DC
Thanks everyone

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
with a bit of gas cooking and sparking up the HWS every now and then we got around 11 days running our 150L.

msmith24

Mar 14, 2012
Leopold, Victoria
Have the 150L Dometic in ours, did a 4 week trip off grid, which included a bit of cooking on the gas and the fridge running the whole time on gas. The bottle was just about empty at the end of the trip.

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Got 12 days on 9kg bottle running fridge, short showers + use of cook top & baby Q. Pretty good really - this was up north with day time temp +-35 deg every day

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
and for something to compare it to, with 2 adults and 2 kids, a compressor fridge, hot water nearly every night (New van so forgot to turn the water heater off a few times ), gas top and oven we got just over 2 months out of a cylinder.

Last edited:

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Sounds like the compressor fridge is the way to go then - 2 months vs. 2 weeks is definitely a fair difference

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Not knocking the compressor fridge (as I think it is the way to go) but you need to add the solar system required to keep it going for a fair comparasion (or if a generator was used as well).

Reactions: Drover and jvp

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Compressor fridge with the neccessary extra solar panel and batteries, cheaper and easier to chuck in another bottle. I carry 2 bottles so thats 2 months, no way I'd be out on my pat malone in the boonies for that long. Been there done that and I was getting paid for it then.

Reactions: DRW

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I looked seriously at compressor fridges on our first new van. As you slept next to it I was worried about the noise and this ultimately turned me off. Yes I know there not real noisy but some places you stay an ant farting is noisy? They are definetly more efficient and if I was looking at spending time in the tropics would consider one again. But as others you need more solar and more batteries to run them and that chews up your payload. So since then I hedge my bets and carry a 40l engel in the tug and have the absorption in the van. The other thing to check is that enviaribly the fridges aren't installed correctly and this effects there performance! So rectifying this improves the performance imensily.

I have found the thetfords use more gas but also seem to get colder quicker than the dometics.

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think you've hit the crux of the matter @achjimmy ,
The other thing to check is that enviaribly the fridges aren't installed correctly and this effects there performance!
Mine's performance improved immensely once I'd fitted it correctly.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
hey guys how are they not installed / fitted correctly ?

Download the installation manual for your fridge and then take the panels of the back of your Jayco and have a look. In the case of the 150litre Dometic in our Expanda it was installed correctly but the wiring was hopelseesy undersize compared to the manual. On the starcraft the Thetford was not sealed on top, had too much space between the fins and the wall. The flue was not ducted outside but left loose so it could vent back inside! And the wiring although heavier is not what thetford list. All gleaned from the manual provided by the thetford , not made up.

Reactions: McKenzie and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My Dometic vented into the space above the fridge and the cable runs were left open into the other cupboards so the hot air would just circulate around and it couldn't cool down plus the wiring ran thru and over the very hot ammonia pipes. I read the instalation manual and fitted mine the way it should have been in the factory which was as @achjimmy described, blocked off the cable runs, re-ran the wires and insulated and closed off the space above the fridge adding a panel which directed the air thru the fins and then outside I also fitted a couple of old computer fans to move the air better and now if I turn it past 5 it will be a freezer.

Reactions: McKenzie

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have read that ages ago, it explains it all really, need to keep hold of that link so when the next person asks the question.
If folks read the manual which comes with the fridge it describes how they should be fitted and a quick look behind the vent will soon show if it is or not.
Good find @McKenzie .