Starcraft Doing a lap in a 17.58-3

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ridiculous. The number plate is way below anyhow and the only place you wouldn't be able to see it would be the Institute for the Blind. Heres a brain wave that just came to me, Jayco .... mount the number plate lower. A major reoccurring issue is the completely dysfunctional non-communication issues btw the dealers and the factory

Reactions: dagree

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
@matty_turbo our 22 its fitted high as the wheel is there on the back and yes a pain to do . I only tried it our in the back yard a two person job.
You think its a OHS issues being that high and if you fell you blame the height placement.

We will be carrying 4 bikes soon.. might just leave them on there when we get home.. Buy another 4 bikes to use at home to save moving :)

timbo2002

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney
FYI we just finished 3 months around central and western australia in our 17.58-3. It was an awesome holiday - the kids loved it - as did the parents! We had a few issues:

- pump failed just as we were about to cross the nullarbor - good timing! it was a simple replacement in port lincoln tho - done in about 10 mins at the jayco service dealer.
- a few of the drawer locks failed - might be worth carrying some spares (about $10 each).
- there seems to be a supply issue of gas from one of the bottles - it works some of the time, but you can't trust it to keep the fridge cold - but that said, using gas nearly every day and running the fridge on gas for a few weeks, we used less than a bottle in 3 months - impressed with that
- a few screws worked their way loose - watch the screws on your awning around the edge of the tube - if you lose them then it will unwind itself and you'll never get it back to the way it should be (i looked one day in Kakadu and there was only one screw left there holding it - and it was already halfway out!) - and those screws are the ones that need the square head to turn - and no one had the tool...
- the black edging above the tyres threatened to fall off in the first week - so I glued them back on
- the table tried to fall off the wall (it happens to everyone with this model!)
- the curtains on the bunks tried to fall off (the screws they used to hold the curtain box on are a joke...)
- the hinge on the cupboard above the sink came out (the screws they use are tiny!) - fixed just with some larger screws

There were probably a few other small things, but pretty much everything I could fix myself. Watch the plug for the fridge/van power supply under the bunk - it can work its way out when driving on corrugations. But we had no serious structural issues despite doing a bit of off-road driving. We had some friends travelling at the same time in an expanda and they did a fair bit of off road (mereenie loop, oodnadatta track, gibb river rd) and they had a wheel come off, lost water, power, gas, power again etc - basically a lot of stuff went wrong!). So i guess if you treat it well it will treat you well!

enjoy your trip - i am jealous! ours was one of the best things i have ever done - saw some amazing stuff and had some awesome experiences!

matty_turbo

Jul 21, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Wow that sounds amazing. We've already had a few warranty issues and given it a good work out. So hopefully we should be alright. But if we do have any issues their are so many Jayco's out there 99% of caravan repair places will have parts or know how to fix it.

We also weighed the van and car out of interest and we were 2.8t on our car and 2.4t on our van. So we can have an extra 400kgs in our car and 100kgs in the van. But we've culled it down again and we are trying to go with less is best.

megcam

I think I may have a solution for the door problem. The Aussie Traveler door latches are 20mm longer than the Camec latches. If you remove the metal U shaped latch and swap them over you can gain an extra 20mm length and that should solve my problem. They are identical to the Camec latches except they are 20mm longer. So I've ordered one and see how I go. .

Hi @matty_turbo - have you done the above mod? Successful? Where did you buy from? Am in the same boat with our 17.58-3.

Thanks

matty_turbo

Jul 21, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Hi, the place I ordered it from never rang me back so I never got it. But when I took it in for a service at another place I showed them and they just simply moved the perspex by about 5mm along. The window still closes and seals perfectly but now I can open my window all the way.

Reactions: megcam

matty_turbo

Jul 21, 2015
Sunshine Coast
Well, we have started our adventure and so far so good. Week 1 is down and we have been to Evans Heads and currently at South West Rocks. Both fantastic spots. Van is great. A bit cosy, I probably would have preferred a 21" full size Starcraft but we will adapt. Its pouring down here at the moment and just checking for leaks. Nothing inside the van but the awning seems to be dripping where it connects with the roof. I don't think this is normal and will have to get it fixed. Other than that we are still alive after living together after 5 days and 700kms.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 262

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Well, we have started our adventure and so far so good. Week 1 is down and we have been to Evans Heads and currently at South West Rocks. Both fantastic spots. Van is great. A bit cosy, I probably would have preferred a 21" full size Starcraft but we will adapt. Its pouring down here at the moment and just checking for leaks. Nothing inside the van but the awning seems to be dripping where it connects with the roof. I don't think this is normal and will have to get it fixed. Other than that we are still alive after living together after 5 days and 700kms.
Shame it's raining, but the best thing is....it can't rain the whole trip. Have fun.