Does anyone use china plates

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Just getting stuff ready for the new arrival and the wife went to buy a set of china plates and cups....just wondering if anyone uses normal household plates etc or do you take more hardy camping stuff.
I can imagine getting to our destination and finding all the plates are broken.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We went nuts at Ikea for our cutlery and plates. Plastic is the go in my opinion as it will not break, but is also a lot lighter, a major consideration with regard to your overall weight. Plus, if you have an argument in such a confined space, you are less likely to be permanently injured by flying crockery. Trust me, the plastic hurts less...

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We just bought some Melamine plates, bowls etc. Very light and strong. Got them on ebay.

Geoff

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah cancan, melamine is the go, as mentioned lighter and will handle travel no worries, it's bad enough having a couple of wine glasses for my wife....touch wood havn't been broken yet! :D

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Weight and breakages were considered so we have all melamine or plastic, with the exception of a couple of glasses for the occasional "bubbles". Doesn't seem right to drink that out of plastic. These are carefully stored and have lasted over 10 years. Hope I haven't woken Murphy.!!

Dec 23, 2011
Adelaide
All plastics with the exception of the china coffee cups. By the time the plastic wine 'glasses' come out i have consumed enough beer that i don't notice the plastic.

TweedTravellers

Jan 27, 2012
Gold Coast (NSW side)
We use Corelle (they are microwave safe) and the set we bought at Big W a few years ago came with China coffee mugs. Corelle can be expensive but Big W seem to have them on sale a few times a year. We also use have a few extra plastic bowls/cups/plates for the kids. You probably already know this but if you put non-slip matting in cupboards and drawers things seem to stay put.

We bought saucepans and other items at IKEA and have been happy with them.

Hope you don't have too long to wait for your new van.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Thanks all....Going melamine plates (from BCF); china mugs (havent broken any of these in the camper trailer so should be ok in van).
Bought non slip mates from Aldi months ago.
Hand over of the van is next Saturday so will camp in the front yard to test everything as I take it out to Roma on 2nd July.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
We use Corelle (they are microwave safe) and the set we bought at Big W a few years ago came with China coffee mugs. Corelle can be expensive but Big W seem to have them on sale a few times a year. We also use have a few extra plastic bowls/cups/plates for the kids. You probably already know this but if you put non-slip matting in cupboards and drawers things seem to stay put.

We bought saucepans and other items at IKEA and have been happy with them.

Hope you don't have too long to wait for your new van.

yeah i hear yah, same here for us.