Chassis Do I need a wdh

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
both @Bluey and @Drover are quite correct (believe it or not........................)

as long as you measure from the same place every time
you will get the distance variation

its a bit like
length x width x height
or
width x length x height

same answer...............

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
Heres my 2 cents worth, for what its worth, which is not much. I see it this way, right or wrong, I think its pretty irrelevant, how much or little the rear suspension drops. The thing that matter most is how much weight is taken off the front axle. You may have rock hard springs that drop zero with 350kgs on the ball, but you cant alter the fact that because the tow ball is x mm away from rear axle, the pivot motion is taking x amount of weight off the front axle. In 99.9% of driving this may not be an issue, but that one time when you know what hits the fan, the handling of tow rig may not be up to how you expect. My thoughts are instead of measuring spring drop, measure before and after axle weights. This is only my opinion and I may get shot down in flames, but Im English and have thick skin.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Heres my 2 cents worth, for what its worth, which is not much. I see it this way, right or wrong, I think its pretty irrelevant, how much or little the rear suspension drops. The thing that matter most is how much weight is taken off the front axle. You may have rock hard springs that drop zero with 350kgs on the ball, but you cant alter the fact that because the tow ball is x mm away from rear axle, the pivot motion is taking x amount of weight off the front axle. In 99.9% of driving this may not be an issue, but that one time when you know what hits the fan, the handling of tow rig may not be up to how you expect. My thoughts are instead of measuring spring drop, measure before and after axle weights. This is only my opinion and I may get shot down in flames, but Im English and have thick skin.
all points are relevant got your moneys worth for 2 cents looks like 10 pounds to me lol

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Makes sense to me, that's why I got a WDH. I've been in a car that didn't take a bend cause the front end had no grip, not a good feeling.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Yep agree totally it's all about the front axle load.

Reactions: bigcol