DIY - bench-top silicone job

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Ok, I couldn't wait any longer so I cut off the plastic strip between bench-top and wall and replaced it with silicone. 20min job but a lot better result of stopping the water from going behind the bench-top, down the wall onto the floor.

First I cut off the strip with a Stanly knife and cleaned the area very well so silicone sticks 100%

IMAG0054.jpgIMAG0057.jpg

Tape up all your joints with masking tape. Top and bottom of the joint, be careful here spend a lot of time doing this as a straighter lines will give you a much better results. Also make sure your corners are spot-on as well.

IMAG0058.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0061.jpg

Using your silicone of choice (I used Sellys "Wet Area" sealant IVORY) pump silicone into the joints. Try to get as much as possible into the actual joint leaving a bit over the top for smoothing out later.
Sorry I missed a photo here.

Next smooth out the silicone with your wet finger. Make sure you wet it as this will give you a much smoother finish and won't stick to your finger as much. Try and run each straight with one motion to give it a nicer finish.
Wipe off any excess on a rag. Keep wetting your finger and smooth out all the joints and corners, you can go over the same joint again to make sure it looks good.
Remember to push silicone into the joint at this stage as well. don't take too much time as you don't want the silicone getting to dry.

IMAG0062.jpgIMAG0063.jpg

After you finished smoothing out the silicone, you need to pull all the tape off. Try and start at the end where you started the smoothing part and pull the tape off slowly and on a kind of 45deg angle away from the joint. Take your time so you don't get it all over your bench or wall. If you do then vinegar is your friend here. Get a cloth soaked in vinegar and wipe off.

If you leave this part for too long than you might end up with a little edge on the silicone where it meets the tape. You can then wet your finger and smooth it again.

Then you have the final product....

IMAG0064.jpgIMAG0065.jpgIMAG0066.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Excellent post Nispat. I have used silcone a million times but still learnt a trick from that.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Good write up NissPat.
An additional tip - where you say smooth it with a wet finger, I've always used a dollop of dishwashing detergent on my finger. Doesn't affect the sealant in any way, but very little actually sticks to your finger (and under the nail), and slides along easier than just wet.

Reactions: NissPat

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Nisspat, Is that selleys product you used mould resistent ? I will definently do the same & same color just wondering if it is mould resistant. Would hate to see your handy work turn mouldy on you.
Well done mate that is a tradie quality job.
Hang on, I may book mine into Nisspats handy man caravan upgrade services to get the job done right !!! Lol.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Nisspat, Is that selleys product you used mould resistent ? I will definently do the same & same color just wondering if it is mould resistant. Would hate to see your handy work turn mouldy on you.
Well done mate that is a tradie quality job.
Hang on, I may book mine into Nisspats handy man caravan upgrade services to get the job done right !!! Lol.

Haha, had me thinking there for a sec...

Yes mate, I think most of them are mould resistant these days. This is the stuff

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Just got to get down there mate to melbourne town for the pick up.
I'll give it a go Ha ha ! Not real keen on playing around with that stuff always seems to bugger up on me & stick on me from head to toe Lol ! But you never know unless you give it a go Ay ?

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey NissPat, fantastic advice especially using the tape. When are you starting the TV show? :)

Another great tip is like what StrayDingo said, get a fine mist water spray bottle and mix in a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and spray the area lightly. Then use ice cream (paddlepop sticks) sticks with the round ends to smooth out the joint. That way you dont get any on your fingers and it "cuts" the excess away onto the tape.

Cheers mate. Keep the good tips coming. :clap2: