14' Series Difference between Standard and Outback

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Hoping someone can shed some light here.

Looking at an Expanda 14.44-4 is the only difference between the Outback and the standard van the Upgraded suspension?

Could you buy a standard and upgrade the suspension separately

Are there any other differences in the van itself, chassis, rails or any other parts?

Thanks for your help.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
OK referring to the 2014 model which is what we have. The Outback has over the touring-
J-Tech independent suspension.
Larger drawbar dimensions and chassis dimensions
Different rims and tyres
Longer Alko drop down legs
Bigger brakes

Everything from the floor up is the same as a touring model construction wise. Same don't be rude joinery and same don't be rude joinery fixings.
I haven’t looked into it but the J-Tec suspension is heavier and thus the van is heavier. This may reduce payload capacity compared to a touring model.
Being an Outback model and with what that implies there is no additional protection to underfloor plumbing and electrical.
If I was to buy another Jayco I would give some more thought and do more research on a touring model with a flipped axle to see if it was worthwhile.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
OK referring to the 2014 model which is what we have. The Outback has over the touring-
J-Tech independent suspension.
Larger drawbar dimensions and chassis dimensions
Different rims and tyres
Longer Alko drop down legs
Bigger brakes

Everything from the floor up is the same as a touring model construction wise. Same don't be rude joinery and same don't be rude joinery fixings.
I haven’t looked into it but the J-Tec suspension is heavier and thus the van is heavier. This may reduce payload capacity compared to a touring model.
Being an Outback model and with what that implies there is no additional protection to underfloor plumbing and electrical.
If I was to buy another Jayco I would give some more thought and do more research on a touring model with a flipped axle to see if it was worthwhile.

Interesting comment there @MDS69 , the OB models have independent suspension and heavier metal construction underneath, hence the weight increase. All your other comments are valid too. However, whilst flipping the axle does increase body clearance - handy for going over bumps and gutters - one is still stuck with a beam axle which is the low point underneath. Not the best if travelling over "humped tracks" as the beam axle will snag on rocks or stumps in the middle of the track. An OB model with the independent suspension does not have this problem and is definitely more suitable for real off road work. Whether it is worth the extra money (and reduction in weight carrying/towing capacity) would depend on your wallet and more importantly the TYPE of "off road" travelling you intend MOSTLY do. I have a touring Penguin with a flipped axle and very glad to have such a simple and cheap modification too!

Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@MDS69 has it covered pretty well.

A touring model with the axle under slung will give about 80mm extra height, replace the crappy original wheels and tyres with good quality rims and tyres, a larger size will improve height and make the whole rig travel better as well as getting things level when hooking up to 4WDs so much easier, unless you want to tour fire trails with wash outs and creek crossings full of goolies, the modded tour van will easily handle the highways and dirt rural roads with ease, even the odd creek crossing, well my old 14.44 did quite a few and didn't miss a beat, as for tracks with stumps and goolies in the middle, why take a $50K van into such a place beside they will bash your diffs and gearbox to let you know before the van axle.............mind don't straddle those dead Roo's you see on the road that is a big No, No with a beam axle.......I have found that the beam axle touring 14.44's that I have seen come with the larger 12"off road brake drums.

The added advantage of a beam axle is that when way out beyond they are easier to fix, realighn, replace and maintain than their heavier more expensive modern counterpart.................. either way a 14.44 is a great van, it will provide great memories and holidays for sure and they will go anywhere.

PS: if they have the Jayco scissor jack throw it in the bin and buy a bottle jack, scissor jacks are killers, they are dangerous enough on flat concrete, killers if used elsewhere.

Headingoutdoors

Nov 29, 2018
Brisbane
Hey all. Thank you enormously for the comments.

You can see where I’m going here. The 14.44-4 is absolutely perfect for our family, people just don’t sell them, for good reason I guess.

It’s mostly the touring models that come up and, thinking about it, my off road would be at worst slightly eroded fire trails and corrugated roads for the same reason Drover mentioned. Why risk destroying a $50k van.

It looks like a flipped Axle, correct my understanding here, flipped means the axle is moved to sit underneath the Leaf springs instead of on top of them. Can anyone tell me the ballpark costing for such mods?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland

You can see where I’m going here. The 14.44-4 is absolutely perfect for our family, people just don’t sell them, for good reason I guess.

It’s mostly the touring models that come up and, thinking about it, my off road would be at worst slightly eroded fire trails and corrugated roads for the same reason Drover mentioned. Why risk destroying a $50k van.

It looks like a flipped Axle, correct my understanding here, flipped means the axle is moved to sit underneath the Leaf springs instead of on top of them. Can anyone tell me the ballpark costing for such mods?

Hi there @Headingoutdoors and welcome to the forum. There are many experts on this forum as I found out in explaining the parts involved in my "simplistic terminology of the ignorant". Promptly and correctly put in my place by @Drover, but even he saw it as somewhat different to his usual thinking.
However, as @Drover has the 'know how" and the ability to do these things himself, he was way ahead of me at first. If you look under the heading of "Suspension - off set axle banter" thread, you will find lots of posts and pictures of what an under slung axle looks like and its benefits. Even though @mikerezny and I both have Penguins of 2013 and 2016 vintages (mine is the 2013), you can see that there was a difference in original axle position. @Drover is correct in saying that I have at least 50mm greater height (clearance) than original, I believe it is more like 90mm because of the extra step I now have to use to climb in and out of my van. Have a look at the pictures and gauge for yourself. A great advantage in most areas as explained by @Drover , so can recommend such mod. No change in towing or handling ability, but be aware that your hitch point on draw bar will now be higher (I reversed the ball position on mine!!) and also your awning or other things you hang on the outside will be a little shorter to the ground and may be of consequence. Something to think about anyway. I think the ball park figure to have the axle under slung was approx $300 to $350.00 at Brendale.
I hope this gives you a bit more information, but as I said have a look under Suspension Posts # 1 (25/1/18) to # 29 (6/2/18) for all the info you need. Good luck!! Found some photos for you too.

Attachments

• P1120191.JPG
    P1120191.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 452
  • P1120192.JPG
    P1120192.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 359
  • P1120196.JPG
    P1120196.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 398
  • P1120200.JPG
    P1120200.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi there @Headingoutdoors and welcome to the forum. There are many experts on this forum as I found out in explaining the parts involved in my "simplistic terminology of the ignorant". Promptly and correctly put in my place by @Drover, but even he saw it as somewhat different to his usual thinking.
However, as @Drover has the 'know how" and the ability to do these things himself, he was way ahead of me at first. If you look under the heading of "Suspension - off set axle banter" thread, you will find lots of posts and pictures of what an under slung axle looks like and its benefits. Even though @mikerezny and I both have Penguins of 2013 and 2016 vintages (mine is the 2013), you can see that there was a difference in original axle position. @Drover is correct in saying that I have at least 50mm greater height (clearance) than original, I believe it is more like 90mm because of the extra step I now have to use to climb in and out of my van. Have a look at the pictures and gauge for yourself. A great advantage in most areas as explained by @Drover , so can recommend such mod. No change in towing or handling ability, but be aware that your hitch point on draw bar will now be higher (I reversed the ball position on mine!!) and also your awning or other things you hang on the outside will be a little shorter to the ground and may be of consequence. Something to think about anyway. I think the ball park figure to have the axle under slung was approx $300 to $350.00 at Brendale.
I hope this gives you a bit more information, but as I said have a look under Suspension Posts # 1 (25/1/18) to # 29 (6/2/18) for all the info you need. Good luck!! Found some photos for you too.

But take note @Headingoutdoors the thread @Boots in Action is mentioning is for an off set axle which a 14.44 doesn't have so while informative i not all the details will apply to a beam axle (straight) an off set will only be found on small vans and campers due to weight limitations................................................................ I don't put myself in the position of expert just an experienced practical fella, cause I'm still learning.

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
I purchased a 14.44-4 Touring new in 2016.

I had the underslung done at the factory. It actually consisted of the following changes;
1. The drawbar from the outback model is fitted
2. A 50mm box section was installed between the axle rails and the spring hangers.
3. A pull out step was added
4. Mudflaps fitted etc

I cannot recall if the axle was underslung. I don't think it was.

If you can find one that was factory underslung grab one.

We took the touring as it was about 200kg lighter than the outback. It missed out on the following;
1. didn't have factory solar, but was pre wired for solar
2. didn't have fancy suspension
3. was still about 25mm lower than a true outback model
4. Missed out on checkerplate etc

The van was easily high enough to get in an out of most situations and was lighter than the Outback.

BTW, we added the alko legs and battery to ours during production.

We ended up saving about $3K over an outback and we sold it for $1k more than we paid for it!!!! So don't worry about people telling you they have poorer resale value.

We ended up going a Touring model again for our new van as I still cannot see the worth in getting the outback model. The suspension is nice but it is very heavy.

Good luck with the search.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
But take note @Headingoutdoors the thread @Boots in Action is mentioning is for an off set axle which a 14.44 doesn't have so while informative i not all the details will apply to a beam axle (straight) an off set will only be found on small vans and campers due to weight limitations................................................................ I don't put myself in the position of expert just an experienced practical fella, cause I'm still learning.

Thanks again @Drover for that little bit of extra, yet very important, information regarding the matter of off set axles and their use in lighter vans such as my Penguin, which may not be applicable to straight beam axles on a 14.44. Once again, it comes up that not all things are the same for different vans, but at least the principal has the same beneficial effects IMHO. Yes, I am still learning too, and a lot more is needed to catch up to you on axles. But I may be slightly ahead on electrical and solar?? Well maybe??.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I purchased a 14.44-4 Touring new in 2016.

I had the underslung done at the factory. It actually consisted of the following changes;
1. The drawbar from the outback model is fitted
2. A 50mm box section was installed between the axle rails and the spring hangers.
3. A pull out step was added
4. Mudflaps fitted etc

I cannot recall if the axle was underslung. I don't think it was.

If you can find one that was factory underslung grab one.

We took the touring as it was about 200kg lighter than the outback. It missed out on the following;
1. didn't have factory solar, but was pre wired for solar
2. didn't have fancy suspension
3. was still about 25mm lower than a true outback model
4. Missed out on checkerplate etc

The van was easily high enough to get in an out of most situations and was lighter than the Outback.

BTW, we added the alko legs and battery to ours during production.

We ended up saving about $3K over an outback and we sold it for $1k more than we paid for it!!!! So don't worry about people telling you they have poorer resale value.

We ended up going a Touring model again for our new van as I still cannot see the worth in getting the outback model. The suspension is nice but it is very heavy.

Good luck with the search.

Thats the ideal situation getting things done at build, you basically have a semi outback model, earlier outback models with beam axles usually had a 50mm rail added to chassis with the hangers mounted off it which will give 50mm extra height with the axle left above the spring pack, an extended draw bar in 6" channel I would assume has the hitch in the lower position, with a mod done after build the spring will be moved to under the spring pack to give the extra height, the actually axle clearance from the ground doesn't change unless you go for larger wheels/tyres.

I think you made an excellant choice with the set up on that van, it would have been just as capable as an outback if not more considering the weight savings....when I placed the axle on my 14.44 under the spring I would have liked a slide out step but the portable did the job and allowed a few beers instead and I had to reset my mudflaps but the hitch was in a far better position to hook up to my Jeep or Ute, I though about extending the legs on the Alko's but just used blocks of wood, if needed, sometimes the shorty ones were an advantage at a few creek side camps, and most importantly never got hung up or dragged it's arse at places like the Shell garage at Morree...............

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
When comparing our larger van (Expanda Caravan) OB model also included Solar, battery and checkplate. I am sure there may have been a few other differences as well. It's not just the suspension (at least on ours)

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
@Macca_75 I have attached the sale schedule. I have remove loads of personal info obviously.

The highlighted parts are what we added that the outback had.
The underslung came with the drawbar, lift, mudflaps

We only missed the suspension, solar and checkerplate. Just realised we also missed out on the box section bumper bar.

Pic of the van so you can see height attached as well

Attachments

• Sale Extras Schedule.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 292
  • MVIMG_20180111_200147.jpg
    MVIMG_20180111_200147.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 253