Diesel Heater Sound level

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Giving my heater its monthly burn I got curious about how much noise is generated by the thing, not the tick, tick of the pump which all and sundry online rabbit on about but the intake/exhaust noise, hardly a mention of it ........
I got a Db App on the phone ( Sound Meter by Splend Apps on Google Play) and fired everything up and after 25 mins when its all cooking I found about 8 mts away from Van it was at 40db, the ambient noise level was around 35Db, inside the van it was just below 40Db while right next to the exhaust it was 60Db but then the shed wall is only 2 ft away so not really a good test....... the wind go up so that ended that experiment as the ambient went up to 60db then, the HWS going full noise was around the 38 Db......

Since my exhaust only has about a foot of the 25mm pipe before it enters a metre or so of 45mm pipe I'm going to put some wrap over it all to see if I can deaden the sound a bit more, experiments with the dinky mufflers earlier I really couldn't tell if there was any change to sound and the intake runs into a similar 40mm pipe which has quelled the intake noise a lot.
I would love to knock up a box which fits to the bottom of the heater so the intake doesn't try to draw from a 25mm pipe but straight from a 40mm pipe, the same for the exhaust straight from the 25mm outlet into a 45mm would knock the noise down and just better all round flow....
Never had any complaints when running it and inside the sound is no more than a blower heater or AC....

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Giving my heater its monthly burn I got curious about how much noise is generated by the thing, not the tick, tick of the pump which all and sundry online rabbit on about but the intake/exhaust noise, hardly a mention of it ........
I got a Db App on the phone ( Sound Meter by Splend Apps on Google Play) and fired everything up and after 25 mins when its all cooking I found about 8 mts away from Van it was at 40db, the ambient noise level was around 35Db, inside the van it was just below 40Db while right next to the exhaust it was 60Db but then the shed wall is only 2 ft away so not really a good test....... the wind go up so that ended that experiment as the ambient went up to 60db then, the HWS going full noise was around the 38 Db......

Since my exhaust only has about a foot of the 25mm pipe before it enters a metre or so of 45mm pipe I'm going to put some wrap over it all toi see if I can deaden the sopund a bit more, experiments with the dinky mufflers earlier I really couldn't tell if there was any change to sound and the intake runs into a similar pipe which has quelled the intake noise a lot.
I would love to knock up a box which fits to the bottom of the heater so the intake doesn't try to draw from a 25mm pipe but straight from a 40mm pipe, the same for the exhaust straight from the 25mm outlet into a 45mm would knock the noise down and just better all round flow....
Never had any complaints when running it and inside the sound is no more than a blower heater or AC....
Ive got the D2 Eberspacher. The intake/exhaust noise level is pretty impressive until it gets up to temp and then its silent

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic

A bit like this?

5033D30D-EFEF-4D64-A657-B7B379A32DD1.jpeg

I think I used a copper join that I cut slits in one end so that the hose clamp makes it a tight fit around the heater exhaust.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats what I was thinking for intake, at present it has the 25mm doing the bend before going to 40mm....... might happen one day.