Dampness under mattress on beds.

Feb 1, 2012
We had our first weekend away last weekend, when we were packing up we noticed that between the matteress and hard floor it was very damp. Its not suprising that condensation occurs in these locations but was wondering if any one has put anything between the base of the bed and the mattress?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi NK,

Havn't experienced this before, so there was definitely no leak then? So how was your first trip and where did you go?

Feb 1, 2012
Hi NK,

Havn't experienced this before, so there was definitely no leak then? So how was your first trip and where did you go?

No, leak as it the moisture was at the bottom of the bed, between the mattress and bottom the bed base. There was virtually no rain so I don't think I can blame that.

I assumed that the fact that the bed based is exposed to the cold air and the heat from the air con and bodies in the bed would have caused the condensation.

First trip was good. We did not put the annex up due to only being a quick trip, although on our next quick trip we will need to put it up to make sure all the bits are there and its not damaged.

We just went up to the Big 4 at Lemon Tree Passage, only 50mins from home.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi NK
We've had the same issue but haven't done anything about it as yet, basically becacuse I keep forgetting and does always happen

It even occurs under the dogs matteress on the floor under the table,

I've seen a product advertised in caravan mags that meant to prevent it, its like a mess underlay just can't remember the name of it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep had it as well Knight. I was going to put "Aircell" under our matress's just for insulation but it would help with condensation as well. The condensation in the vans can be very heavy around the skirt and roof at times as well.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Same - we are going to install Truma (I think) gas heater underneath seat nearest front of van - had mean't to do it by now but lacking the necessary $$$$$ at the moment. We are lucky that son's father-in-law is plumber/gas fitter and has agreed to install it when I get it.

Bill

Feb 1, 2012
The aircon worked okay however, you could tel lthe difference between the two nights that it ran. The Friday night was cold and on Saturday morning the van was warm enough. Saturday night however, was freezing and the van was tolerable the next morning but definately not as warm as you may have hoped.

I also have a good blow heater that I will use when on power in the future, the cost of diesel/gas heating would not be justified at this stage for my purposes.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
just be warned that the A/C heater plus another 2000 watt heater can equal lights out as we found out at Blaney one freezing night.

Reactions: Newcastle Knight
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the tip Jim, I think the fan heater on its own will probably do better then Air Con at any rate. We have used the said fan heater in a canvas camper trailer as well as the Swan and it worked really well.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The other thing that helps immensly is a VB carton behind the door vent (sandwiched between screen and door).

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
That mesh is very expensive approx $200 to put cover underneath one bed.

Wow doesn't look that flash to be $200 worth. Maybe try a bit of the ribbed marine carpet upside down. It's water proof and drys well, the ribs will allow airflow . And it should be a bit cheaper.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
It almost looks like an outside door mat or similar? I guess the secret seems to be have airflow beneath the mattress
Yeah it reminds me of that filter foam used in air conditioning but obviously must have more strength? That filter foam would compress I wold think?

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
We tried a piece of tarp under the edge of the mattress but still ended up with wet bed ends. Not sure how to solve it