17' Series Customising new 17.56-2

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
Hi All.

As someone with no knowledge when it comes to ordering a new van how customisation can be applied to the 17.56-2 layout. Reason being is we don't want or need the additional seating or bunks on offer and would rather more storage - specifically another robe and pantry etc. understood we are governed by certain features sush as the window but there is room either side for additional tall cupboards. We would look at the new 2015 model 17.56 but at this time we are considering a 2nd hand 18.57 to get the room we want.

Has anyone gone down this track?

Thanks in advance.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday, have seen on here loooonnnngggg time ago someone had the lower bunk deleted and put in various cupboards and benchtop straight across the top. Pretty sure Jayco will come to the party re this mod and possibly even deleting the window. Just got to ask. I guess.

Loco Tech there are you brother. Pace.

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
Yeah. Have seen a few (even with a washing machine) and have friends who travel with us who have that same bench arrangement. Only issue maybe the additional $$ and loss of bargaining power going custom.

Yep worked for AN, Clyde, EDI, Downer and now GWA :02.47-tranquillity:

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
sam ? who ? not my van one from here that was for sale.
you can also get rid of the top bunk and replace with overhead cupboards as well.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Paul Dunstan they seem open to changing layouts to a point, provided they can use existing cabinetry sizes.

Then with some simple things they simply won't budge.

All you can do is ask

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
no prob, forgiven. if theres something you want to change but jayco won't, you can always have a crack yourself, thats half the fun….:encouragement:

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We hopefully pick up our 2015 17.56-2 in March. We have ordered it without table/bed and replaced with bench cupboards. We are leaving the bunk ontop which folds but may look at putting gas struts so to just lift it up with bed made. You can also get cupboards instead of top bunk. As far as cost goes it was the same price. Just hope it turns up as ordered.
Hears a pic of an older 17.
image.jpg

Reactions: Brettmc

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We mainly wanted more bench space not so much storage. Always say if you have more room you take more.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Paul Dunstan We have a new 21-64 OB and we deleted the ensuite and replaced it with the same cupboards you see above. Have also seen crikey camper hire here in perth ordered a 17 with the layout above before we went to get our one. There are pictures of our bench (I think) on our 'maiden voyage' thread. (I have no idea how to link the thread.....sorry). I find going in with pictures of other people's van showing exactly what you want gets them saying yes a lot more. Even after saying no. (Ie our reversed door)

Paul Dunstan

Oct 14, 2013
Adelaide
That's it. Thanks all.
I don't have an issue going to the 18 (2nd hand as they're no longer made) to get what we want (adequate storage and ensuite) but as we only have the 2.2 Ranger I don't want to be captain Slow on the highway. We currently have a 16.49-1 and I'm thinking the 17.56-2 is an option except for above.