craigandteena 14.44-4 OB

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like that idea for the internal fan, didn't think about using the drain. I suppose $90 isn't too bad since they want over $80 for the store bought outside fan set up. You will find your outside fan will probably run all the time as that pipe is always hot as, switch it off at night but keep an eye on your temp knob as under 3 at night will turn it into an ice box usually. Very tidy set up.........you may affix a Star to your forehead.

craigandteena

Aug 30, 2014
Canberra
www.expandasdownunder.com
Cheers @Drover . The reason for the switch was so I could just turn it on in the middle of the day. If I find the pipe always sits above 70deg then I will relocate it somewhere where the outside fan kicks in when it really starts to struggle under hot weather. It is only attached with cable ties. They are super quite and draw next to nothing so any power use is not an issue with them constantly running during the day.

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I mounted my thermo switch on a s/s spring clip so it just clips on the ammonia pipe, if you have the switch attached by ties then it will fall off in a short time. At normal operation the pipe will be up to 70 deg, fan kicks in early morning ( dial on say 3) temp at 2, and runs all day and fridge will operate well but if you only turn it on when the fridge is struggling say dial has to be up at 5 or 6 and your temps are climbing to 8 or 9, then the fan won't do much to pull the temp down in good time, leave it run all day and your fridge won't be working hard at all. Mine run all day and I hardly turn them off as I usually forget, I have 2 set up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Switch is a good idea, I made the mistake of putting baffles around my fridge before I ran a wire in for the switch but the clip was mainly for better heat transfer and easy fitment of the thermo switch.

I cut a small bit of thin alloy and riveted the thermo switch one side and the clip on the other, more pics on my page.

switch02-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Sorry to hijack @craigandteena but @Drover can you please confirm that on the 150L fridge that the lower the number on the temp selector the lower the fridge temp and vice versa. I keep getting confused on this.:oops:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On my Dometic it has 7 positions, 7 being the coldest with 1 being not as cold, depending how well your fridge works as to where you set the dial.

Reactions: MDS69

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well I fired my fridge up today at 1030, outside temp was 32c and by 2.30 the fridge sect was down at 4c and I only had the dial on 4, forgot to crank it up, van outside sitting in the sun getting loaded and its hot as.. So the fans do a fantastic job.

Reactions: bigcol and MDS69

paulpaul

Jun 19, 2015
Melbourne
Now for listing the mods. Happy to explain more about each one. I will do the big ones as a separate thread for ease of replying to if people want more information.

Installed Fiamma Bike Rack on the rear.
View attachment 28074
Installed this high to clear the aftermarket HW system mounted on the rear bumper and also to put extra strength mounts against the pop top metal frame.

Just wondering if you installed this yourself, or had someone like Jayco do it? I have purchased one of these vans (exact model) a couple of months back and am just looking at options now..

craigandteena

Aug 30, 2014
Canberra
www.expandasdownunder.com
IMG_20160924_164557.jpg IMG_20160922_175325.jpg IMG_20160922_175230.jpg IMG_20160926_090549.jpg It has been a while since a post so time to share my latest addition to the van being an additional Bike Rack on the A Frame as I was not comfortable putting all 4 bikes on the rear one and I wanted a rack I could also move and use on my car with ease while away with the van. Spent a while searching for a bike rack I could put on my A Frame and have it move out of the way to lower the bed. Was nearing the process to build my own when I found this one from an Aussie Company. It is from. www.isi-carriers.com. You will see from the photos it easily moves from the van to the car hitch and when on the car I could lower it to access the tailgate on the vehicle. All parts are purchased through ISI except the T part attached to the A Frame which I measured up and had a local metal shop weld up and attached it with large U Bolts. I will let the photos speak for themselves but you can see it clears everything well. The ease of getting bikes on and off is a massive selling point. You can buy 4 bike ones or 2 bike ones.

Last edited: