17' Series Cot in Expanda 17.56.2

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hey Guys,
Been camping quite a bit and #3 has always slept with my wife and I'm up the other end with #2 and #1 on the top bunk. Its worked well when she was a baby but now she is 15 months she is on the move which makes life a bit harder especially during mid day naps, sleeping at night and most of all setup ups and packups.

After a lot of head scratching and lots of ideas and several trips to Bunnings I came up with this.
- Extra Wide Kid Gate
- 180 x 90 x 12mm MDF
- Heavy Duty 25mm wide Velcro
- Sample pot of paint (colour coded to the inside)
- Screws and bolts (for holding gate onto the MDF).

Works and looks a treat and the good thing is the whole this is completely removable without any holes in the van.

The little chocks of wood at the top of each end are square bits of timber that I had in the shed that I routered a channel in them to lock the gate in place at the top. The Velcro holds it in place.

Taking it away this weekend so keen to see how it goes.

I have a slight problem that I need to overcome though. All the switches and power are up one end. I'll have to make a cover to stop little miss from saying "buttin buttin!"

IMG_3394.JPG IMG_3395.JPG IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3403.JPG

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
You could have just brought my cot and mattress thats for sale in for sale section but your probly not in vic
Looks good though

Sep 5, 2016
Sydney
@Duncanblake36 that's awesome - such a good idea and easy execution. If anyone ever asks me the perfect way to take care of the cot scenario - I'll be sending them to your post. Great job.

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
I’ll see if I can’t find a photo, I got a piece of mdf, took the cushions off the bottom bunk then fitted a piece of angle along one side of the mdf to prevent the cot sliding out, then just did a small screw into top of drawer to stop mdf moving and then we fitted our whole portacot in there. It only stuck out about 50mm over the side of the bunk, the mdf was needed for the cot leg to sit on.

Reactions: TheExpandables

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Well. It’s worked a treat. Down at Anglesea in Vic and it’s been great. My wife and I down one end and the 2 boys in the double bed and my little girl in the cot. Very happy with the result.

Reactions: Bluey

Lamal

Jun 9, 2018
Victoria
I know this is an old post but such a great idea. We are going to try it in our van.
Can you please give me some more info about the boys of wood and how they lock the gate in place.
Thanks

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
So the gate at the bottom is bolted to the mdf with flat head bolts and lock nuts. When you get the gate it has these white plastic end bits on it. Just drill out the pop rivets and the will slide off. The bits of wood at either end of the gate are just pine that have been routed with grooves. Held in place with Velcro so it can be removed later. It works and it stops movement of the gate at each end. You could probably do it a couple of other ways but this was the best I could come up with at the time. The good quality Velcro will stick anything.
It works and my little girl loves it and my wife doesn't worry anymore about her falling out of the bed PLUS setups and packups as so much easier. We'll remove it when she gets older but its great for holding stuff while we travel too.
Let me know if you need any more info.

Newtothis

Aug 24, 2018
Vic
Iv been tossing up asto what to do with our new 18.58-2 ob for our little man he is 5months old. I was toying with the idea of a porta cot but this is perfect. Nice thinking. Why dont they sell something like this?? Will do us for a good few years.

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
My girl is now 2 and still loves it. I don't mind when we are bush camping but in caravan parks when you are setting up or making dinner she sits in there with her toys and loves it. It works well for us. Plus is great for storing all the bedding when we are on the move. Good luck! We'll keep it like that for as long as we can as its very handy.

Newtothis

Aug 24, 2018
Vic
Only difference iv found so far is at the kitchen end it has a cutout so ill have to make a clamp with some rubber so it wont scratch. Did you just trim the ends off to get the right size to fit?Screenshot_20180825-130512_Samsung Internet.jpg

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Should be ok. I think by memory it was the just short so there was no cutting with the grinder. Just need to drill the rivets out of the end plastic bits.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/perma-child-safety-extra-wide-barrier_p4211373
Just make sure you bolt it to a piece of MDF at the bottom. I used flat head bolts with lock nuts with washers.
Its a bugger yous has that little cutout on it. It may be high enough though as the gate is 75cm tall.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I fitted this to.my van was great sad it see it go was so handy for my son and loading it up with stuff when traveling sold it 100 bucks to another vaning family Screenshot_20181219-053821.pngScreenshot_20181219-053901.pngScreenshot_20181219-053833.pngScreenshot_20181219-053841.png

Reactions: Duncanblake36

Edwinp

Jul 15, 2018
Perth
@Duncanblake36 great work, about to copy your idea for my little one. You don't happen to recall the paint code by any chance? what did you use to get it colour matched?