Cookers and BBQ’s.

NHunter

Jan 9, 2018
Parkes
Hey all,

Our family of 2A & 3C are complete newbies to the vanning world. We have done 1 short trip in our van just to break the ice lol!

We are looking at getting a bbq large enough to cook for 6, just wondering if anyone has any pro’s /con’s on Weber’s, or other set up recommendations?

Should we invest in a slide out cooker or tray? Or just one with a portable stand?

We have a Jayco Expanda 17.56-2.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Weve cooked on everything from Kero Tins to a Weber and for ages I thought a Weber was an overpriced Yuppie unit but viewing a few cookups with them we went with a Weber 2000, the medium sized job and while it is overpriced it does cook flamin well and when the tribe turns up it does a good job, I would go for the med sized one as you can do a decent sized roast in it but try it first on just a table and see how things go before throwing heaps of $$$$ on slide outs or stands, we use a stand now as it can be moved to various spots when camped and it also does the job as the home barbie, so we get our $$$ worth from it...................

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, sometimes things get lost but welcome and as a newbie to the game always check out things yourself and buy stuff that you know you need, many race out and buy heaps only to find they don't use it, so just take it slow, save money and save weight.....................

Great question by the way.......

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hey all,

Our family of 2A & 3C are complete newbies to the vanning world. We have done 1 short trip in our van just to break the ice lol!

We are looking at getting a bbq large enough to cook for 6, just wondering if anyone has any pro’s /con’s on Weber’s, or other set up recommendations?

Should we invest in a slide out cooker or tray? Or just one with a portable stand?

We have a Jayco Expanda 17.56-2.

Thanks guys!
Hi @NHunter ,
We have the neo buddy. Bought it as it comes with the grill as well as the hotplate half. It is large enough to cook anything from cakes to roasts. The lid is nice and high..
We also have a stand for it so that it can be moved around. The only bad thing, if you can call it that, is finding storage room in the van when travelling. We have a box on the front now which is where it lives unless in use.

ash99

Feb 1, 2016
Lysterfield
I have the Weber Q and unlike most people I think it is not a very good bbq. I I have the Weber q2200 model.
I dislike that you have to cook with the lid down, the burner is so weak that even the slightest breeze causes the temp to drop. I honestly don't think they are worth the money.
If you do follow the instructions to keep the lid down they do cook quite well. I will also agree that the do a good roast.

I have just purchased a Ziegler and brown Bbq for home. Way more powerful burners, suits my cooking style perfectly. I prefer to be able to have the top up for cooking certain items like snags etc. if you do this on the Weber it just doesn't work. This bbq does everything the Weber does just better.

The Ziggy is basically a Weber clone but in my opinion it is way better. The more powerful burners just make it more versatile. I will say the build quality is not as good as the Weber. The price is less though.

Keep your eye on the for sale section as I will probably stick my 18 months old Weber up if none of my family want it from me.

Reactions: Pauline

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have the Weber Q and unlike most people I think it is not a very good bbq. I I have the Weber q2200 model.
I dislike that you have to cook with the lid down, the burner is so weak that even the slightest breeze causes the temp to drop. I honestly don't think they are worth the money.
If you do follow the instructions to keep the lid down they do cook quite well. I will also agree that the do a good roast.

I have just purchased a Ziegler and brown Bbq for home. Way more powerful burners, suits my cooking style perfectly. I prefer to be able to have the top up for cooking certain items like snags etc. if you do this on the Weber it just doesn't work. This bbq does everything the Weber does just better.

The Ziggy is basically a Weber clone but in my opinion it is way better. The more powerful burners just make it more versatile. I will say the build quality is not as good as the Weber. The price is less though.

Keep your eye on the for sale section as I will probably stick my 18 months old Weber up if none of my family want it from me.
I have the Weber BabyQ and have added the campersmart full hotplate to it which has made all the difference. Can be used with the lid open and performs like a regular BBQ, and can swap to the regualr grill plate for the other baking and roasting functions that the Weber is good at.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
We use a gasmate. It’s great, but unable to connect to the gas outlet on the van.... which sucks!

Bought ours on special, so heaps cheaper than a weber and it cooks great! Also nice and compact to store in the van. I don’t have a ute, so a greasy bbq isn’t being stuck in the back of the car!

Daz