Connecting Ceiling Stereo Speakers to TV?

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
We have had our second trip in our new StarCraft Outback 16.51 caravan. When we purchased and again at hand over in late Sept the dealer told us that you could connect the TV to the ceiling speakers. Wednesday was a cold wet day so we spent the afternoon watching DVDs. I decided to try out the extra speakers. No go at all.

There are two pre wired audio cables in the cupboard next to the TV mount (red & white). Tried plugging into the respective plugs on the TV, nothing. Rang the dealer's service dept. yesterday. The service bloke wasn't sure but suggested that I should have a cable with an earphone plug on one end and audio plugs on the other. I should connect the earphone plug to TV and the red and white cables in cupboard to plugs on lead. I tried that and nothing.

Then I found another little plug. Earphone plug one end and re and white sockets at the other. It only just goes into the TV earphone outlet as it fouls the antenna plug. Anyhow tried it and connected the red/white cables and again nothing from ceiling speakers. I have also tried connecting with the Fusion radio unit on and with the various Aux settings on. All nothing.

Have any of you experienced this problem:help::help:. Am I missing something like a hidden switch? Or have I been JAYCO'd and the red white cables not connected to anything:noidea::noidea:

Please advise
Peter.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
You've done it right using the headphone jack - rca adaptor, thats exactly how we use the speakers. I did read on here somewhere that people have found the other end of the red/white cable, at the stereo head unit, have either been not connected at all or connected wrongly. You should have been given stereo removing tools with your owners handbook etc., use those to pull the head unit and take a look and see what is going on, would be my suggestion :)

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks Pete, not sure that I got any tools related to the Fusion unit. I tried to get into the back of it thru the cupboard. That space is blanked off with a panel that seems to held in place with some hidden fasteners. I'll keep trying.

Regards,
Peter.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Some progress. Finally managed to find the head unit removal tools. Removed the front cover and then the press on bezel. Then managed to get the tools to release the head unit. There is a birds nest of wiring much of it redundant at the rear.

I eventually sorted out the various wires and found the TV wires going into one of those little adaptors that in turn plugged into a black box a wire comes out the other end with a small plug that goes into the rear of the head unit. Checked all connections are tight, put it back together, put on the TV and still nothing.:grumpy::grumpy::disgust:

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
hmmmmm just a stab in the dark, but flick through the sound settings on the display, until you find the fade settings.. try all the way one way, and then turn it all the other way... this is how some of the guys on here apparently control their inside/outside speakers.. give it a shot anyway mate.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I don't know if you would call it luck but I now understand why my TV doesn't talk to the radio. My van is wired so you plug a 3.5mm jack into the TV ear phone out let. Lots of cables and plugs later it connects to the 3.5mm jack in the rear of the radio. It appears this inlet isn't working but one at the front is. The wiring isn't designed to go to the front inlet. Dealer has promised to fix the issue at the first service.

I have also found that the 3.5mm jack adaptor supplied by Jayco barely fits into the TV ear phone outlet as the antenna cable connection is to close. When the antenna cable is connected the adaptor jack will not connect to the earphone outlet. What I can't understand is why I have to use an ear phone adaptor when I think I should be able to connect the red/white cables directly to the TV's red/white outlets. I guess all will be revealed when the van goes in for its service early next year.

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
At least resolution is at the end of the tunnel! I dont know why either, i havn't really looked too much into it..

Good luck with it mate :)

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
hello, the difference between using the earphone socket and the audio output socket, is that the volume control for the tv will adjust the level on the earphone socket and will not on the audio output socket of the tv, so unless you want to hold 2 remotes for the tv and sound?? use the headphone sockets. if you have a car radio installed in the van, the output from the tv headphone socket should be connected into the aux input on the car radio?? red and white plugs on the back of the radio. then you must switch the radio over to aux input using the source button on the radio. all should work from there, if it does not then you have a faulty cable going from the tv to the radio, this is a very cheap and single cable to purchase if required. it is a 3.5mm cable to rca cable from disk smith or your local tv supllier store.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Thanks for the info. It explains some thing I did not understand. It appears that I have a radio with 2 Aux inputs. One at the front of the radio and one at the rear. My system is wired to the rear port. Talking to the radio supplier they confirmed that there was a batch where only the front port worked and they had to rework them to get the rear port working also. Seems I got one that had not been corrected even thought the Jayco factory wired the system correctly. I'll wait for the service to see what eventuates.

I have also found that I have a USB cable wired to the radio. Don't know if it works or not. I have a new Sony Walkman MP3 player. I tried connecting it to the cable using a USB adaptor. It didn't work but does when wired with the 3.5mm aux plug to the front of the radio. I have read somewhere that some radio USB connectors won't work when connected with a USB adaptor????????????