Concern over Sparrow ceiling aircon unit for 17.56-2

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi,

I have just received the confirmation documents and noticed that the rooftop aircon unit to be installed is the AirCommand Sparrow.

When looking at the info on the manufacturer's website, it states the following:

A cautionary note for pop-top and uninsulated van owners

The Sparrow's small size and light weight attracts some buyers. But take great care to order a unit that Can handle your requirements? Only order a Sparrow If you own a fully insulated, full height Van not longer than 17 feet.

Does anyone else have experience with the Sparrow rooftop aircon in a 17.56-2 and does it work properly both heating and cooling??

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hi RonEm how did you go with the find out about this - I am looking at a 1756-1 and trying to work out if this is a good option as I want heating and cooling?

glee

Dec 30, 2011
I have a Dometic rooftop aircon on a poptop expanda 16-49. Next time I will try to avoid a rooftop aircon. First, the Dometic was poor quality - brazing on the copper pipes was badly done so they fractured causing a slow leak which caused it to stop functioning just after the warranty expired. However I don't know about the Sparrow but there are several issues in common:
1. if you have a poptop it will add to the weight lifting the roof. They are made as light as possible to help with lifting but perhaps the quality of components suffer.
2. mine was so noisy it was unpleasant to run
3. mine used a resistance coil (like a domestic fan heater) for heating, not reverse cycle, which you may want to check.
4. Roof top aircons obviously reduce clearance, make cleaning the roof more difficult, probably make putting a cover on more difficult, and will effect handling of the van due to the weight being up so high.
There are several in cupboard, underseat and shelf units that I would choose from for my next van.
HTH