Exterior Cleaning Canvas storm cover

yerots

Nov 17, 2019
Geelong
Hi All,

I recently purchased a second hand Jayco expanda 14.44.5 for my wife and I to begin our nomad adventures. We absolutely love it and are giving it a full spring clean before our next adventure. I was wondering if anyone has any cleaning tips for the bed end as well as the canvas storm cover that came with it. Its just general dirt marks and dust, no real stains to speak of. Also the hard cover for the bed has lost its lustre. Is there a safe polish or product I can use to restore the shine?

Thanks for any help I can get

Ant

Sep 3, 2017
Cairns
Hi yerots,
I'm not sure what to use to be honest as I haven't yet had to clean mine but I found this on the web for cleaning canvas - "Mix 2 gallons of warm water and approximately 1/2 capful of mild liquid laundry detergent (without bleach) in a bucket. Wet and scrub the canvas. Wet a clean sponge in the bucket and wipe it over the canvas. Follow with a scrub brush, scrubbing the seams and dirtiest areas first"
Alternatively you could try a camping store to see if there is a specific canvas cleaner as I'm sure there would be.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
For cleaning any canvas just a broom, a bucket and a drop of laundry detergent or car wash but only if its grubby otherwise just hose and broom it, rinse the daylights out of it and let it fully dry with good air flow, then you can spray it all with a liquid waterproof solution, go to a saddle shop and buy a litre of the stuff that you use for Oil Cloth coats like Drizabone, don't go the spray cans, waste of money and time, spray so the canvas is good and damp the outside of both covers, then let dry fully before packing up, once you have given it a spray then when it gets really dusty just wipe off inside with a cloth or hose down with clean water , the waterproofing should last for a few years, don't pack away wet, if you do open it up at the first oppurtunity to get a good dry.... The bed Ends and covers once dosed like this will give good waterproofing don't use fancy cleaners or the canvas will end up stuffed and your wallet emptied for nothing.......Running some Bees Wax or just laundry soap over stitching on the covers and awning is good for waterproofing as well... Been using this style on canvas tents, tarps, coats and stuff for over 45 years and it works, no need to break the bank either.,...
The less chemical crap on canvas the better, tents and tarps can last 20 yrs or more with proper care....

Last edited:
Reactions: 2slow

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
For cleaning any canvas just a broom, a bucket and a drop of laundry detergent or car wash but only if its grubby otherwise just hose and broom it, rinse the daylights out of it and let it fully dry with good air flow, then you can spray it all with a liquid waterproof solution, go to a saddle shop and buy a litre of the stuff that you use for Oil Cloth coats like Drizabone, don't go the spray cans, waste of money and time, spray so the canvas is good and damp inside and out then let dry fully before packing up, once you have given it a spray then when it gets really dusty just wipe off inside with a cloth or hose down with clean water , the waterproofing should last for a few years, don't pack away wet, if you do open it up at the first oppurtunity to get a good dry.... The bed Ends and covers once dosed like this will give good waterproofing don't use fancy cleaners or the canvas will end up stuffed and your wallet emptied for nothing.......Running some Bees Wax or just laundry soap over stitching on the covers and awning is good for waterproofing as well... Been using this style on canvas tents, tarps, coats and stuff for over 45 years and it works, no need to break the bank either.,...
The less chemical crap on canvas the better, tents and tarps can last 20 yrs or more with proper care....
Hi Drover,
So if I spray on the waterproof solution and get the whole canvas end good and wet will it discolour the canvas at all or leave patchy etc.?
I'm guessing not but am not sure.
Greg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No it shouldn't, you don't want it dripping wet just a good cover, also I should ammend my post where I said "good and damp inside and out " I was meaning the bed end (inside) and the storm (outside) covers, just spray the outside of both covers, no need to spray the inside, make sure you never pack away for long periods if damp .

Reactions: 2slow