Clarence River Wilderness Lodge

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Just back from a five night stay at Clarence River Wilderness Lodge. Northern NSW really should be annexed into Qld, it is such a wonderful area full of great places to stay and see.

Getting There:

Our Trip started out at a leisurely pace from the coast and headed SW through Beaudesert and onward to Urbenville 2hrs later where we stopped for a counter meal at the delightful Crown Hotel. Inside, at an area designated as Qld Corner (right next to the fireplace) we enjoyed our very tasty $10 meals.

crown-hotel.jpg

From here we continued South to Upper Tooloom Road where the dirt section of the trip began. We were very lucky as the roads in the area had recently been graded so made good time to the bridge at Tooloom Creek. Paddys Flat Road from this point on is (at places) narrow and winding so care is needed, we were averaging around 40kph through here. This is why i love our 14 so much, it is small enough to get into these areas and still provides you with glamping conditions when you arrive. I don't think you would want to pull a 20 footer through here unless you were very experienced. Oncoming traffic was light but passing another van or truck may have been interesting.
paddy1.jpg

paddy2.jpg

We soon had the entrance to their 7lkm access track in sight.

entin.jpg

While the road surface was stable it does get steep and narrow in places. We passed other vehicles twice and it was a bit of a squeeze.

narrowin.jpg

The road is 2wd suitable but low range made the steeper sections easier on the tug.

steepin.jpg

The owners (Stephen and Sharon) are great hosts, very friendly and have a wealth of local knowledge. They pointed out our camp area and we soon had our slice of paradise set up.

DSCN1122.JPG

Hows this for a front door view of the Clarence River

DSCN1124.JPG

The main camping area offers a large flat space and they restrict the number of guests so no crowding problems. Plenty of room for kids to play. Canoes and kayaks are available free of charge for use in the river, the only restriction is you can't go past the rapids. this gives you about 500m of river to paddle in with their gear but if you have your own the river is yours to see.

DSCN1133.JPG

They also have panning gear available for free so you can try your luck. The water was rather cool at this time of year but once gold fever hits that wont stop you. :)

DSCN1792.JPG

There are some bush walks that leave from camp, we did the ridge walk which took us about 3hrs at a slow pace with lots of photo stops. It is steep at places so may not be suitable for really young ones but the views are spectacular.

DSCN1807.JPG

DSCN1808.JPG

Some of the local Area attractions include the ww2 Tank traps built to stop the Japanese invasion

DSCN1148.JPG

And of course plenty of off road tracks in the surrounding National parks and state forests.

Yabbra state forrest
forest1.jpg

Driving along the Clarence at Paddys Flat

riverdrive.jpg

River access at the lodge

DSCN1781.JPG

Wow I could go on and on, so much to see and do we have only just scratched the surface of this area. The Lodge has onsite accommodation in the form of cabins and safari style tents which are right on the waters edge so if you don't want to bring the van there are other options as well. This place would be worth pulling the tent out of mothballs for and would be a great summer destination with plenty for the kids to do. The toilets are of the composting type and a couple of hot showers are also available. No powered sites but hey they do have "wilderness" as part of their name, so don't expect caravan park facilities. The camp kitchen is good and even has a wood fired oven you could make pizza or bread in.

DSCN1198.JPG

As we usually do when we visit a new area we take gps readings and add details to Open Street Maps. If you have a look here you can see the camp layout and the ridge walk trail etc.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Looks like a beaut spot to recharge the batteries

Yes it is a real gem, Just the sort of spot your family would enjoy I think :)

Looks awesome, how many hours driving and what we're the temp like this time of year?
At a moderate pace you can get to Urbenville in about 2hrs from Brissy or the Gold coast, from there it gets a bit slower with the dirt roads. takes about an hour to the lodge turnoff and around 20min to do the last 7klm into the campgrounds.

What a great spot @boots33, although the road in looks a bit hairy. Really nice pics and report as well.

The roads are not too bad, at no time did I have any concerns we wouldn't get there. I just wanted to let people know you would need to use caution in the tighter spots and not get flak if someone tried to get their 5th wheeler in there. When I booked the campsite Sharon told me they have had vans as big as 20ft in there before, I guess we all have our own idea of what is doable :) Would be a great place for your kayak, they have several Platypus in the river as well, if you don't mind getting up early to catch a peek. We never spotted one though (didn't get up that early either)

A couple more Pics

This is one of the Safari style tents that are setup at the southern end of the main camp area. You could almost dangle your feet in the water from this one

DSCN1199.JPG

You just cant beat dinner cooked in a camp oven

DSCN1144.JPG

This is down at the group camp area, would be handy if the weather turned nasty. Outward Bound use the Lodge as a starting point for some of their courses.

DSCN1764.JPG

A family of rock wallabies live across the river on the cliff face. you can usually catch them in the morning soaking up the sun. I was amazed how well they can move on the steep ground.

DSCN1180.JPG

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Another place to mark on the map, looks marvelous.................I wonder how Big Mal would go getting in there, have been thinking I may need a small camper or another 14 for Teewah and places like this..................

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Another place to mark on the map, looks marvelous.................I wonder how Big Mal would go getting in there, have been thinking I may need a small camper or another 14 for Teewah and places like this..................

The track in is definitely better suited to smaller vans, I have no doubt large vans could get in also but could be in trouble if meeting traffic coming the other way. Phone range is almost non existent in the area but we did get a good Telstra signal at the beginning of their 7klm entrance, so you could ring them before you travel the last part to see if anyone is coming out.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014

A swag would be cheaper....or a helicopter? I like the idea of that sort of place as well so it's on my list for the future.

As an off topic question....how's your building going? Must be getting closer.

(I'm a bit worried about the decline in the fish population north of Noosa while you wait for a house to be built)

:focus: .......soon