Christian & Alisas 20.64-1 OB

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
I've been trying to figure out how to do this. Is there enough meat in the lid to screw to? Do you know how thick it is by chance or can you take close up pics?

I'll grab a photo tonight when I get home.

There seems to be a piece of timber within the fiberglass which is what the sail track screws into. I've just put the fastener next to the end of the sail track. So technically it doesn't screw into the lid but into the 2cm thick wood piece.

Ck

Reactions: bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.

There seems to be a piece of timber within the fiberglass which is what the sail track screws into. I've just put the fastener next to the end of the sail track. So technically it doesn't screw into the lid but into the 2cm thick wood piece.

Ck
Thanks - so just screw into a ribbed section. I'll have to open the lid during the week and have a look.

Why can't they just add this from the factory/dealer when they install the bed ends????

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Thanks - so just screw into a ribbed section. I'll have to open the lid during the week and have a look.

Why can't they just add this from the factory/dealer when they install the bed ends????
Hi @Macca_75

Make sure you screw in to the same thing as the sail track screws to. Offer up the stud on the cover in line with the sail track and keep the cover taught, where the stud lands on the timber will be the place to put the fastener.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney

Photo as promised

IMG_2458.JPG

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Finally made it away for the first real trip since I picked up the van a little over a week ago.

Up to almost a dozen warranty issues already. Taking it in to Paul Tall (which is just round the corner from me) instead of Jayco directly this week for them to take a look.

Next small mod was to change the aerial connection point near the bed end and external entertainment unit.

I unscrewed the f-type connector to TV aerial connector that sticks out - and catches with the bed - and now use a cable with a TV aerial socket on one end and a screw f-type connector on the other.

Got them from jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/f-plug-to-tv-coaxial-plug-cable-1-5m/p/WV7384

Problem with bed catching now solved!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Finally made it away for the first real trip since I picked up the van a little over a week ago.

Up to almost a dozen warranty issues already. Taking it in to Paul Tall (which is just round the corner from me) instead of Jayco directly this week for them to take a look.

Next small mod was to change the aerial connection point near the bed end and external entertainment unit.

I unscrewed the f-type connector to TV aerial connector that sticks out - and catches with the bed - and now use a cable with a TV aerial socket on one end and a screw f-type connector on the other.

Got them from jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/f-plug-to-tv-coaxial-plug-cable-1-5m/p/WV7384

Problem with bed catching now solved!
I use one of these https://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-right-angle-f-connector-adaptor_p4360272 for my sat cable outside, might be useful for yours to get the cable right out if the way ?

Reactions: ChrisFatboySydney

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
do tell.........................

Ok. Since you ask.. some are quite minor but this is my current list for Jayco to fix.

1. The front water tank on drifter Control Panel is stuck on full (even though it is empty). The rear works fine.
2. The metal strip between the ceiling panels above the bunks (20.64-1 OB) has been damaged during installation and is quite bent. Pictures attached.

IMG_2433.JPG

3. There are a few screws sticking out (pointy end) thru the wall and are sharp to touch. The tape is also loose in one spot.
4. The table slides even when you have not depressed the lever. Looks like there isn't enough friction on the underside of the table for the mechanism.
5. The skylights are not fitted correctly. The plastic is squashed where the two pieces come together (see photo)
IMG_2478.JPG
6. Cap on font bayonet is missing
7. One of the bed end fans is broken
8. Two of the drop jacks don't swing when released and is very stiff.
9. Couple of big scratches in the internal panels near the door.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
W O W
n# 1 is a bugga
not liking 2, 3 & 5 at all
the moving table n# 4 would suck when trying to eat
didnt know there was a cap for the bayonet point n# 6 (wasn't on mine in 2013 - maybe they do, do them now.....lucky buggers) I had to get one from ebay
n# 7 not good
n# 8 (all of mine are now stiff from getting them dirty, but its 4yo, so on a new one would not be good, I can understand)
n# 9 - fit and finish seems to be a problem with them now days for some reason

I think who ever is getting paid by Jayco as their QA man is stealing from the company now days and needs to be charged with theft
(would be nice if Jayco were members of this site, not to answer all problems in threads, but to let us know they hear what we are saying and look into it)
the excuse of "building so many Vans makes it hard to QA" is a load of lies and shyte - in my opinion

suck basic "rookie" mistakes you have there @ChrisFatboySydney

also, I am not belittling your complaints mate

5P's is what Jayco should be looking at
"Pi$$ Poor Planning Promotes Problems"

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Ok. Since you ask.. some are quite minor but this is my current list for Jayco to fix.

1. The front water tank on drifter Control Panel is stuck on full (even though it is empty). The rear works fine.
2. The metal strip between the ceiling panels above the bunks (20.64-1 OB) has been damaged during installation and is quite bent. Pictures attached.

View attachment 48520

3. There are a few screws sticking out (pointy end) thru the wall and are sharp to touch. The tape is also loose in one spot.
4. The table slides even when you have not depressed the lever. Looks like there isn't enough friction on the underside of the table for the mechanism.
5. The skylights are not fitted correctly. The plastic is squashed where the two pieces come together (see photo)
View attachment 48521
6. Cap on font bayonet is missing
7. One of the bed end fans is broken
8. Two of the drop jacks don't swing when released and is very stiff.
9. Couple of big scratches in the internal panels near the door.
To me this is really annoying. I know Jayco are cheaper than other manufacturers and are at the "value for money" end of the spectrum, but they all bang on about Quality Control and every station of the manufacturing process. These faults should not have made it off the factory floor - nor should they have got past the dealer during handover. QA my butt! n All minor faults, but all easily fixable (and noticeable) before the van left the factory.

Hopefully it's all fixed in a timely manner for you.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Just picked up the van from its first warranty visit and got a few things fixed.

- Fixing the roof looks like it will be a big job - needs to go back in after Easter.
- Water tank not working on drifter turned out to be a bad earth return (was covered in silicone)
- One of the roof vents was replaced to fix the misalignment. The other still needs to be done.
- the loose tape and sharp nail still needs to be fixed.
- drop stabilizers now swing free (was just over tightened on install)
- table and scratch hopefully will get fixed after Easter when the van goes back.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Hey Matey,

My table moves as well but it is firm enough to stay in place during eating etc. Maybe not a bad thing that it has some play in case we forget to move the table when closing the slide-out, just a thought.....

Stay positive as all the above can be fixed up matey, don't let those things ruin the whole experience.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey Matey,

My table moves as well but it is firm enough to stay in place during eating etc. Maybe not a bad thing that it has some play in case we forget to move the table when closing the slide-out, just a thought.....

Stay positive as all the above can be fixed up matey, don't let those things ruin the whole experience.
Nope - we left ours a little close when the slider was clsoed and now have a slight line (mark) where it rubbed. It will fade with time.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Or you'll just ignore it in time!

every time you notice it, you'll remember the place where it happened.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Couple of new issues that are going in to be fixed hopefully in a few weeks time along with the outstanding items from the first visit to the repair shop.

- drifter panel still doesn't show water levels correctly even after being fixed. Alternates between full and empty randomly.
- toilet full indicator doesn't work. Thetford are sending out spare parts.
- fridge door doesn't close properly when stuff is in the door - needs adjustment - Thetford are sending out special plastic spacers to fix this.
- shower exhaust fan is installed at an angle and there are no screws holding it in - just sikaflex.
- found an inperfection in lounge window within the plastic. Looks like a big scratch within the plastic itself as the outside is smooth.

Otherwise loving the van. Just went away for 9 days and had a blast. The washing machine is the biggest surprise how much we use it and how easy it is.

Managed to find a shade cloth style matt that works so much better than my PVC foam mat and have switched to aldi napisan instead of the thetford blue liquid and I have to say it works so much better as well as being cheaper. The aldi 2 ply toilet paper seems to just dissolve in it - so easy to empty.

image.jpg