Cheap Diesel Heaters on eBay

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Hi all,
I've seen a lot of cheap diesel heater units on eBay for less than $300.
Are they ok? Has anyone installed these cheap units in their vans?
Also, how safe are these units? Do they need to pass some sort of safety certification?
My concern is that if these units fail, can it catch fire? or can the exhaust gas somehow leak internally and gets pumped in the cabin?
I worry too much sometimes :apologetic:

Thanks in advance.
Eddii

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Most of the heaters on Ebay under about $900 are knock offs, I bought a cheapy and it failed, got money back after getting Ebay involved ended up buying off Pinnacle Wholesale from Ballarat ( an electrical repair mob ) who will talk on phone or email and actually repair them if they break, been there done that....
I would buy one from someone here in Oz so you have warranty coverage not from some chinese reseller though, even overseas purchase won't have a warranty that is viable here as the dealers here don't seem to service what they don't sell due to the high amount of knock offs in the country I have gathered.

Have never heard of one catching fire or gassing anyone, possible I suppose if fitted incorrectly but they do have heat sensors which shut down fans and pump plus the wiring would melt pretty quick and stop things, I think gas stoves have caused more problems............................ I have fitted mine with an external power switch and extra fuse.

No checks or certification needed for fitment and I don't know about any ADR's regarding them.

Whatever you buy get one with the whole kit so you don't have to try source bits......,

Reactions: Eddii

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
@Moto Mech it makes perfect sense, thanks:)

Thanks @Drover:), I like the idea of getting after sales service. It does cost more but worth it when you have to claim for warranty purpose.:amen:

We are heading off to Uluru, Kakadu and Darwin next month:), so I thought maybe try and install one before we go.

But I think we'll try without a diesel heater first to see how comfortable it is inside our van before looking at getting one.

We only need it when free camping, we'll bring our oil heater when we're at caravan parks ;)

What brand does Jayco fit as factory option?

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
@Moto Mech it makes perfect sense, thanks:)

Thanks @Drover:), I like the idea of getting after sales service. It does cost more but worth it when you have to claim for warranty purpose.:amen:

We are heading off to Uluru, Kakadu and Darwin next month:), so I thought maybe try and install one before we go.

But I think we'll try without a diesel heater first to see how comfortable it is inside our van before looking at getting one.

We only need it when free camping, we'll bring our oil heater when we're at caravan parks ;)

What brand does Jayco fit as factory option?
E2400 gas heater

Reactions: Eddii

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
From a insurance POW, if they dont have aust stds and certification, you get no insurance incase of fire.

I don't believe any such standard exists. Their is certainly as standard for gas appliances but not for diesel heaters.

Would I put a cheap Chinese knock off item that is a furnace burning inside my caravan - absolutely not !!

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Ok, thanks for your input guys :) I spoke to the minister of finance aka Wifey and she would like one fitted before we go next month. Doesn’t leave me with much time to fit one but oh well I’m up for a challenge :p
How loud are these units? The unit Seems pretty loud on YouTube or does it get muffled down when it’s under the bed or lounge?
Where is an ideal spot to install it on a 22.68? I’d like it somewhere in the middle or rear so the kids bunks gets more priority than us.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ok, thanks for your input guys :) I spoke to the minister of finance aka Wifey and she would like one fitted before we go next month. Doesn’t leave me with much time to fit one but oh well I’m up for a challenge :p
How loud are these units? The unit Seems pretty loud on YouTube or does it get muffled down when it’s under the bed or lounge?
Where is an ideal spot to install it on a 22.68? I’d like it somewhere in the middle or rear so the kids bunks gets more priority than us.
I can hardly hear mine inside the van. A bit of fan noise and the ticking of the pump (my advise is mount the pump as far away from your bed as possible).

The burner noise outside isn’t too bad, after the initial ramp up, it lowers down quite a bit.

Reactions: Eddii and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Best to fit furtherest from bed and on the r/h side so the exhaust and intake are away from door way area, they can fair howl at first but then just soften right down to about the same as the air con outside, pump can tick but insulation of fuel line from van frame quietens it down somewhat, insid eno noisy than a electric fan heater, actually quieter I think.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Thanks @Drover @Bellbirdweb , Ok so far Tuit 2.2kw is the go.
@Moto Mech, Pinnacle sells them for $770 for the basic kit.
Dieselheat.com.au sells them for a full comprehensive kit for $1300 which includes ducting, muffler,mounting plates,fuel tank. 2 year warranty is also included for that price.
I'll give them a call this morning to finalise the prize.8-) Other than that, looks like I'm heading this path.
Keep those tips and suggestions coming please, I really do appreciate you guys helping me out :) Thanks:clap2:

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
After much deliberation, I ended up purchasing an Eberspacher Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater.
It comes with 24 months warranty as well, hopefully a reliable brand.
Best price I could get it for was $1800 through Caravan RV Camping.
They're based in Brisbane so hopefully it will be delivered by this weekend:)
I'm excited :D and broke:( at the same time:bi_polo: :biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Now to sus out where to fit it hmm. Maybe below the fridge. Mounting hole will sit just behind the rear axle (I'll check the clearance tonight).
Existing 12v feed would come from same side of the van.
The only thing is that it will have a long fuel feed if I mount the diesel tank inside the front tunnel booth.
Or mount the unit and tank under the bottom bunk area, power would have to come from the external TV outlet. This is a much simpler design.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: davemc

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
After much deliberation, I ended up purchasing an Eberspacher Airtronic D2 Diesel Heater.
It comes with 24 months warranty as well, hopefully a reliable brand.
Best price I could get it for was $1800 through Caravan RV Camping.
They're based in Brisbane so hopefully it will be delivered by this weekend:)
I'm excited :D and broke:( at the same time:bi_polo::biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Now to sus out where to fit it hmm. Maybe below the fridge. Mounting hole will sit just behind the rear axle (I'll check the clearance tonight).
Existing 12v feed would come from same side of the van.
The only thing is that it will have a long fuel feed if I mount the diesel tank inside the front tunnel booth.
Or mount the unit and tank under the bottom bunk area, power would have to come from the external TV outlet. This is a much simpler design.

Any thoughts?
I have the Eberspacher D2, fantastic heater.

I mounted mine under the fridge, as there was plenty of room.

You just need to confirm there is space underneath for the 145mm hole and clearance for the exhaust.

Did you get a mounting plate ?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I spoke to the salesperson and he said it does come with one ;) Makes sense to have a mounting plate to dissipate the heat. What size hole saw was it @Bellbirdweb? Can you still remember?;)
Can't remember the exact size sorry. I used an adjustable hole cutter instead of a hole saw, but it was not easy fitting it in the cupboard.

I ended up doing half of it with the hole cutter and the left over with a jigsaw