16' Series Cheap Damaged 05 Outback 16.49-3 On ebay

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
Hi all
Has anyone had any experience in repairing damaged vans?
I'm watching this van on ebay closely to see where the bidding gets too. Looking online to see how much this would cost to repair but not having much joy. I'm not scared to have a crack at it myself but I don't know a lot about repairing caravans - always worked on cars.
Can you buy panels for these from Jayco or do you need to fabricate yourself?
If anyone has experience with repairing these I would be interested in your thoughts? There is a video of the van on the site that gives you a bit more insight.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JAYCO-20...278555?pt=AU_Caravans_RVs&hash=item20c0f5a91b

Thanks

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Fam

She's had a good hit because that drivers side is quite out, the roof too. To my knowledge they are an alloy frame with glass sheet bonded to it so it would be possiable to repair it . Depends on what price you got it for That model in good Nic still fetches $25-32k. You would really want to inspect it preferably.

Good luck

Reactions: Fam-Man-WA

Fam-Man-WA

Jan 6, 2012
Perth WA
After a bit more thinking about the work to be done and noticing how quickly the price on it is moving skyward, I've decided to give it a miss.
Will keep looking for a straight one.:biggrin:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not worth it IMO....

From what I can see just looking at the photos.

1) New awning $2 - $3k

2) Glass and structural work - $4k

3) Canvas repair - $500

4) Clean up - $500

She also seems to have some miss aligment of the roof, if you look at the picture that looks rearwards internally in the van you can see the internal pop top vinyl is bunched up as the roof is not sitting right. Could be as simple as the gas struts got bent in what ever happended but could have bent the roof itself.

As an idea if the roof is cactus chuck another 5k on top, I did a roof rebuild on an older wind up like the swan not even just foam and wood etc cost me $2 - $3k in parts alone and I did all the work. You then also have to consider if the roof is bent or out of alignment then what else is structurally wrong with the van.

It also seems in very poor condition in terms of quality internally and externally.

For what you can see its already in the range of 7k + repairs wise before safety inspections and internal work.

Wise move to steer clear I think much better models can be had for the price of the unit and repairs :)!!!!!

Reactions: Fam-Man-WA