Changing Up........

Monk

May 8, 2011
Townsville, QLD
G'day Everyone,

Having been looking at the forum for a while - took me a while to figure out the tech......:rolleyes:

Currently in the process of moving the Eagle camper on, to fund the upgrade. This has been our first Jayco and we love it, but we need a bit more room for the family. Kids are over sharing a bed, so the finance controller and I are getting really excited about the new 17.56-1 with the bunks.

We are just finalising quotes from around the country - have never been impressed with the extra 10% heaped on in Townsville......bring on the road trip South!!

Cheers

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome Monk!

Sounds like fun for the road trip!

Have you found a dealer you are happing with?

Are you going to put your deposit down prior to selling the eagle or waiting on the eagle to sell first?

Again welcome to the forum and hope you figured the tech bit out :)!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Welcome Monk,

A few of us have recently sold the Jayco camper to upgrade to an expanda. Seem like the natural progression.

It can be daunting putting a deposit down before selling the camper. We did with our Hawk. The waiting period for a new Expanda is a least 3 months, possibly more, so there is plenty of time to sell as long as you price it competitively

We found when selling ours the new model camper release definitely dropped the value of our model (it was only 14 months old). Got more than we were prepared to drop the price to, so can't complain.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
G'day Monk and welcome

As Moto said there is a few that have gone from the camper to the Expanda including us :D

We previously had a '07 Outback Hawk

And a road trip on pick up, does it get any better.

Cheers Cruza

Monk

May 8, 2011
Townsville, QLD
Cheers all.

We are starting to narrow it down. Best quote so far is from one of the VIC dealerships - almost $10K difference in price of a 17.56-1 OB compared to what I have been quoted locally. Crazy.

Well worth the effort and time to get myself down there and drive back.

We will probably privately sell the Eagle - trades weren't quite cutting the mustard. Based on a Sep timeframe, we have plenty of time to shift it.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
You're right, Monk. We did the same thing from the Gold Coast, finally buying from Newcastle and saved over $3000 on local costs. We could have saved another $900 if we wanted to pick the van up from Melbourne but figured the extra distance plus accommodation travelling that much further plus probably more time in Melbourne waiting for pickup, did not justify the $900 saving. I had a mate I could stay with in Newcastle but didn't know anyone in Melbourne. But the clincher was the registration. As I live in Qld, I wanted to register it here, so I had to get a temporary permit to move an unregistered vehicle from NSW to Qld. It stated that the vehicle had to be moved as soon as practicable to Qld (I think it was good for 7 days), had to be unladen, and then had to be taken to a Registery office in Qld within this time frame. A phone call to Victoria regisrations indicated something similar so i took the short option. This also meant I did not have to carry everything in the car going down that I would need for a long trip home, I just took a sleeping bag for a one night stopover.

I don't wish to put a damper on your plans but a couple of phone calls to the motor registerys in the states you are planning to buy could save you a bit of heartache when the time comes. But the final outcome will be worth it so go for it.

Paul

Monk

May 8, 2011
Townsville, QLD
I don't wish to put a damper on your plans but a couple of phone calls to the motor registerys in the states you are planning to buy could save you a bit of heartache when the time comes. But the final outcome will be worth it so go for it.

Chartrock; you are spot on mate. Most Dealers I have been talking to so far have brought this permit issue up which has been great. Simply cannot ignore the price differences between states. Would just be me blasting down the East Coast and back again. Lots of contacts on the way. You cannot tell me there is 10 Grand worth of freight between Melbourne and here........ Anyway..... Like you said - will all be worth it in the end. Just need to keep the sense of humour intact.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Monk,
Did you try Warburton Caravans in Bundaberg? $500 dearer for our 17.56-2 OB than the best Melbourne price. Bonus is you don't have to worry about registration and inspection costs/logistics, which I have heard can be painful. Damian @ Warburton smashed Townsville's, Mackay's prices, Mackay's best price was $50,000 starter with no extras. keep in mind most prices up this end includes roll out awnings and A/C.