Electrical Changing Setec ST25-III for lithium

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I looked at and came close to replacing my GELs with Lithium but when I balanced it all out, still too expensive for saving a few Kgs and thats using them for near 4 mths of the year, my solar reg can handle them never use the 240v charger so wouldn't bother replacing it and besides depending on the lithium battery some will happily take an AGM charge, it all depends on the BMS unit thats in the lithium, not all lithiums operate the same either..... while the storage is the same the circuit board that makes them work varies in its capabilities and is actually the important bit of the whole system... There's a lot of fine print to troll through when making a decision....

If you have an off grid set up on roof no need for 240 or tug charging really..... its a left over from the pre solar days... Drive for 4 hrs camp for 4 weeks....
Having large solar panels, DC to DC setup from tug plus lithium battery, remaining off grid is still limited by conditions of use by owner. Recently while camping had a "fairly experienced" neighbour speak to me about his problems with his very late modern camper trailer. It had all the latest bells and whistles including 2 huge solar panels which entirely covered the top of trailer. Plus DC to DC arrangement, two batteries in tug, MPPT lithium compatible controller plus 1 X 100amp lithium battery. He moaned that he and partner only able to stay off grid for 3 days before having to recharge system again. That immediately pricked my interest as to why!

On investigation, found that when the roof is raised, the solar panels which act as roof for the limited sleeping accommodation are at an angle of 70 to 80 degrees from the horizontal ( nearly vertical) which means that really only effective if at right angles to the sun in early morning or late afternoon. As he had van parked east west, the panels were facing south and through fairly heavy tree foliage above. Asked why parked that way, he replied had to stop sleeping down hill and wanted to be in the shade!!! Also, panels flush on roof and completely enclosed by aluminum angle brackets - no air gaps at all!! Up to 15% loss of generation when panel temp is around 55C! Don't some van manufacturers ever talk to the electrical/solar experts??

He didn't use the DC to DC whilst camped as usually away most of day in tug leaving van to look after itself. Dealer told him battery would be charged up by time he gets to next spot.......time/distance not mentioned!

When asked about electrical usage in kitchen area , (had lots of 240 volt power points available everywhere), said only use power for large compressor fridge/freezer and lights outside and in sleeping area. Upon further questioning, finally admitted that they are both keen coffee drinkers and usually have 3 cups per day each, ( breakfast, lunch and dinner), courtesy of 3000w inverter. While I was picking up my jaw, he added that they also use their induction cooker and electric kettle at times rather than gas. The dealer said it would be fine as solar panels were capable of at least 30 amps and would recharge lithium battery quickly. Yeah, right, if roof down and panels at a lesser angle than 70 or 80 degrees!!!

Apparently only got part of the story as also muttered about dealer had set his battery limited to only 50% of capacity to prevent damage.
Also had a you beaut blue tooth controller which indicated that he lost 10% of battery capacity every time he used inverter for short time and rarely saw battery capacity higher than 60%., except when just arriving a new camping spot! DC to DC charging??

So they are out there!! And the dealer told them they would be right for any eventuality, just like home on the grid. No matter how much or how little electrical generating/storage equipment you have, it always boils down to how you use it!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would question the very experienced part, certainly not with off grid power supply, its sad people actually still believe a salesman's pitch.

• Wow
Reactions: mfexpanda

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I finally bit the bullet and replaced my non working solar controller with a new ” Epever Triron2210N” MPPT controller. I still have to figure out all the things it will do but it has a good manual so will have a play sometime. Worked as soon as it was connected, showing battery V and charge level, solar V & A, and load connected to it, ( nothing at this stage ).
Only problem fitting was that it is considerably larger and longer than the old PWM but narrower. This meant holes would be exposed one side and, due to Jayco’s miserly length of cable, the wires needed to be extended to reach the lower connections. The joins in cables meant the unit could not sit flat on the panel so a couple of pieces of timber under it, cut a bit wider meant I could cover all the holes. Happy with the fit and Mrs CR gave it a tick of approVal as well.

E3132B44-20D6-4E95-95F1-7017C99DE3CA.jpeg 5E6E8DD2-FB41-498B-A18B-FF49BB7F6AB0.jpeg

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I would question the very experienced part, certainly not with off grid power supply, its sad people actually still believe a salesman's pitch.
Only "fairly experienced" @Drover - perhaps in camping only. But definitely NOT even remotely experienced in living in the field with the use of generated or stored electrical power!! And the salesman's pitch led them to believe that they had endless power with all the latest gadgets! Just like home.

• Sad
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I finally bit the bullet and replaced my non working solar controller with a new ” Epever Triron2210N” MPPT controller. I still have to figure out all the things it will do but it has a good manual so will have a play sometime. Worked as soon as it was connected, showing battery V and charge level, solar V & A, and load connected to it, ( nothing at this stage ).
Only problem fitting was that it is considerably larger and longer than the old PWM but narrower. This meant holes would be exposed one side and, due to Jayco’s miserly length of cable, the wires needed to be extended to reach the lower connections. The joins in cables meant the unit could not sit flat on the panel so a couple of pieces of timber under it, cut a bit wider meant I could cover all the holes. Happy with the fit and Mrs CR gave it a tick of approVal as well.

Looks good, I found my Epever to be easy to figure out and work, nice and simple suits me fine, set and forget .............. the mount mod you did will give better air flow so has to be a good mod..........

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My “Schneider battery booster“ eventually died so I finally got around to replacing it with a Roobooster version. It seems to be the bees knees although they advertise it at 2000Amps Peak which I find a bit sus but as long as it starts the truck when needed I will be happy.

52534EB3-ABD5-465E-A4A9-D5C89DBA198A.jpeg
8B18483F-3DDA-4719-A13A-431652B6BBE8.jpeg
40C17B70-3351-434D-96D6-F5312F2EAC82.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ive got a Kings jobby, mainly for the boat as always worried if battery fails I'm stuffed and have to paddle............................ Prefer if they last a long time and never get used myself.

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Ive got a Kings jobby, mainly for the boat as always worried if battery fails I'm stuffed and have to paddle............................ Prefer if they last a long time and never get used myself.
Problem is they are not used often so stored in the back of the truck and forgotten and not charged up, then when needed they won’t work, and battery does not last when left discharged. I have been embarrassed by bringing my old one out to help someone with a big grin on my face only to have it changed to egg on my face when it was flat.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have mine sitting on my desk when not travelling or boating so i have a squiz at it every so often, should get another so I can plug one into boat to keep charged and one into Jeep problem solved...... I assume it will happily sort its charging out on its own then... Kings has no instructions with it and the one online is pretty basic ....

Last edited: