Cars that can tow an Expanda

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
We have just got our Expanda, our CRV can barely tow a shopping trolley, so we are looking for a car that can do the job.
the model we have has a tare of 1355kg unloaded.. So I guess any car that can tow up to 2000kg, ideally deisel and under 15k. Appreciate any recommendations, we plan to go around Australia from July 2011

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day foldtrip, and welcome to the forum. Your choice of tug would depand a lot on personal preferences i.e. do you want a sedan wagon or dual cab ute, 4WD, AWD, maual or auto etc. I guess at the tare wt of 1355kg, your Expanda is not an Outback so you probably don't need a big 4WD to go off road. I'd definitely reccommend a diesel for a round Australia trip.

While I am rapt with my Nissan Navara, it may not suit you as a family vehicle with 2 kids under 3, especially as it does not have child restraint mountings in the rear only ordinary seat belts. It's also murder in the shopping centres.

Mate, I guess this is not a lot of help to you but if you sort out just what you want from the vehicle it will narrow your choices. If you can get your ideas down to half a dozen vehicles, I'm sure forum members will have opinions on each which may help your decision.

Might see you out on the road sometime.

Enjoy

Paul

foldtrip

Feb 6, 2011
perth
thanks Paul, we bought a Jackaroo today and were proud owners for about 4 hours when the black smoke started coming out of the exhaust, we luckily got our money and CRv back..... The plan now is to hire different 4wd for weekends and see how they go... you are right about the sizes, we really want a small car feel with at least 2000kg towing, but don't want the car to struggle.... We liked Rodeo's and will look at those next, no rush, big trip not till July, thanks for your help

Are We There Yet?

Jun 24, 2011
Vic
We just recently had to upgrade my beloved 2005 Kluger because it won't pull our Expanda that's on order :(
I am not a very big person (I am the wife/mum!!) so I didn't want to be driving something that felt like a tank. We looked at the Pathfinder but it felt too big for me and I could hardly see over the bonnet. If we had the $$ we would have got a Prado diesel which can pull 2500kgs but a 2006 model was going to be around $40k.
So we ended up with a new Mitsubishi Challenger which is a diesel and can tow 3000kgs. It cost us a little over $40k for the LS model in an auto, with a few extras on it such as front and rear sensors and a tow bar of course! I find it slightly heavier to drive than my Kluger, but it's manageable and great value for money. I can't tell you how well it tows because we haven't taken delivery of the 'panda yet.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
We just got a Pathfinder R51 2005 to tow anything up to 2.7 tonne.

It is rated for 3T but for me 2.7T would be the limit.

My thoughts for a 17 would be Patrol, Pajero, Pathfinder, Landcruiser Prado or similiar as they all have 2.5T or more towing limit and will fit the bill nicely.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We have a 3L Patrol, its a land tank, but i feel very safe towing with it.

My Jayco dealer had a few Dmax auto's and they raved about them as a tow vehicle.

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
Cars that can tow an Expanda

We have just got our Expanda, our CRV can barely tow a shopping trolley, so we are looking for a car that can do the job.
the model we have has a tare of 1355kg unloaded.. So I guess any car that can tow up to 2000kg, ideally deisel and under 15k. Appreciate any recommendations, we plan to go around Australia from July 2011

There aren't many good choices in diesels for under 15k, but I finally thought of one possibility - a 2000-2003 model 3.0 litre Holden Jackaroo. Redbook says they're worth around 10k, so there's room for paying a premium to get a low mileage one.