17' Series Carefree lift handle issues

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Hey all, just picked up the new (to me) van and pretty stoked with it.

One issue I am having is the lift handles on the lower arm of the awning (carefree fiesta) don’t appear to remove the lug to allow the lower arm to be lengthened, so I can’t raise the awning height. Pain in the bum to have to duck under it all the time!

Handle is quite floppy and doesn’t appear to do anything but I think they feel a bit like that anyway? Lug is on a metal tab which is tensioned (or used to be) but moving the handle doesn’t budge it at all.

Replacement handles are $50ea so wondering if anyone has any tips for freeing up the lugs?

7448B6BF-47AE-41F1-98FB-5933AFB55D64.jpeg
94733E66-6ACB-426A-8A98-12DB0CDB33F3.jpeg

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Spray some WD40 or similar and let it soak. Might need some assistance to take the load on the legs but get a hammer and a punch and lightly tap the pins to see if you can get them unstuck.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Ta. Have sprayed some lube in there to see if that would help but no joy.

Pins aren’t stuck as such as I can press them in with a screwdriver etc. If I do this and slide the arm up the lug pops into the next hole and have to repeat process. A bit tiresome to move up 20 holes each side!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
You've snapped off the end of the pin at the handle end, likely using a little too much persuasion at some point. The cast pins have a rebated lug that the handle lifts, and snapping off that lug the pin is cactus and cant be fixed unfortunately unless your a Fitter or Toll Maker. Replacing the handles is a pretty simple swap out with only a large blind rivet holding it in place. If you look under the handle of your new ones youll see the rebated edge on the pin that youve snapped off on the broken one.

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
“I” have done nothing of the sort - it was the previous owner!!

Bought the new handles today and will swap out. Looks pretty straightforward.

You've snapped off the end of the pin at the handle end, likely using a little too much persuasion at some point. The cast pins have a rebated lug that the handle lifts, and snapping off that lug the pin is cactus and cant be fixed unfortunately unless your a Fitter or Toll Maker. Replacing the handles is a pretty simple swap out with only a large blind rivet holding it in place. If you look under the handle of your new ones youll see the rebated edge on the pin that youve snapped off on the broken one.

Reactions: Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Mate it’s all good - appreciate him pointing out to a noob that these are delicate objects!

I can and will make plenty of my own f ups :D
"You" is just the collective generalisation for him, her, them, us, they, me and of course you. I've busted two of mine, and after breaking the same anything twice you're deemed a topic expert.