16' Series Carefree Awning & Strong Winds Don't Mix

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Hi All,
After a long hiatus, we finally got the can back out on the road and into a camp spot just this week gone.
After consulting Camps 7, we decided to explore Gippsland, we headed off towards Lakes a Entrance and ended up at a The Glasshouse Camping area at Lake Tyers.
Picked out a good spot, bit of a view but out of the way- just how we like it.
Things were going along very well, almost too well, the calm before the storm I guess you could say :)
A few days in, and we had just met one of the neighbors, (who as it turns out lives about 10mibs down the road from us!). Walking back to the Expanda, a fool wind had picked up, and the sky was blackening.
Before we could batten down the hatches, it hit us like a ton of bricks - winds gusting up to 80km/h (or so we found out later) and driving rain.
Our once pristine Carefee awning had taken to the wind and was flying high above the van with legs akimbo. The stabilizer arms were still attached at both ends but only just!
Now I'm sure most of you know aluminium doesn't bend too well before fatigue arts in, and cast aluminum has even less tolerance.
After wrestling the awning back to earth (it was touch and go for a while when I was lifted of the ground by what was now a very effective spinnaker trying to take the van out to sea), the two top brackets for the stabilizer arms were no longer recognizable.
The photos below tell the tale. We stopped at Jayco Gippsland in Bairnsdale on the way home and picked up a couple of new ones and I fitted them up once home. A very simple job really, the most difficult part is setting the river head - you could manage without a river header, but it looks nicer if you have one :)
I had to straighten the guide brackets on the van as well as "tweak" the alignment of the sliding channel runner and top clip, but still pretty simple. All up was done in about an hour.
I added some washers between the moving parts when inserting the rivers to help keep things moving, and also added some washers to the heads of the coachscrews that attach brackets to van wall.
All in all I think I'm glad the brackets broke as they did- probably stopped the screws being ripped out of the wall and leaving a bigger repair job!
Anyway, it's a lesson learned :)
I have since added some white paint to obscure the ugly screws and washers.
Cheers,
Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921 KB · Views: 413
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 393

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
That is no good lucky you got back before the whole thing ripped off.
Did you have it tied down? Yes every time the wind comes in I have visions of the van sailing off into the sunset
G'day Dave,
Up until that point the weather had been awesome, so we just had it pegged down using the holes in the awning legs, no ropes etc.
Honestly, I think if we had it roped down it would't have made any difference except maybe give me something else to hang on to while flapping in the breeze.
Cheers,
Paul

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have AFK and ropes and I still sit there with winds and worry.
At Gold Coast we had long wall and one end wall pegged down as well.
Here at Tocumwal we have our annex up pegged down as well and when the winds a blowing I think it's going.

Mother Nature will always win, if a house roof and be blown off no amounts of rope and pegs will win.

Reactions: blacky

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Lucky there only screwed into ply there. Would have been a lot worse had they pulled out?

Btw I have a whole new awning and roller for a 16ft if you wanna buy a spare lol

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Lucky to get away with minimal damage there @S&P .... We had a similar thing happen to out previous van and it ripped the screws out along with a bit of fibreglass and timber :o
Made some temporary repairs to get us home using ali chequer plate and when we took it in for repairs the repair guy said "Don't bother it looks stronger than standard!!!!"

Ouch001.jpg
Before

Fixed001.jpg
After.... Managed to get two if the screws into the ali frame.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
We were lucky... We're camped down at lake Layll and went up to Katoomba for the day. While there the winds picked up and they were strong. I honestly thought our awning was going to be toast by the time we got back. When we got back we found that the awning had been rolled up for us. One of the neighboring sites saw it was getting to the point of worry so they put it away for us. Always nice when others look out for people they don't know.

BJ.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Lucky to get away with minimal damage there @S&P .... We had a similar thing happen to out previous van and it ripped the screws out along with a bit of fibreglass and timber :o
Made some temporary repairs to get us home using ali chequer plate and when we took it in for repairs the repair guy said "Don't bother it looks stronger than standard!!!!"

View attachment 27923
Before

View attachment 27924
After.... Managed to get two if the screws into the ali frame.
Yep, we were lucky alright, it was that kind of damage I was envisioning. Nice work on the patch!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree
Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
@ S&P ... Truer words were never spoken.
Was at Greenhill Lake at Ararat packing up today ... out of know where, this massive wind storm came and ripped the 10" pegs out of the ground and threw the awning back over the caravan ... the arms were ripped off from the brackets at the bottom of the awning and the back window was smashed ... the fibreglass is cracked in the same place as @ Dagrees. Rang Youi when I got home ... they told me to take it to Bayswater Jayco for a quote ... Was a big shock for me ... fortunately my children were not hurt ... could have been a whole lot worse. Still said for me though.

Reactions: bigcol

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Lucky indeed! I had to close somebody's awning up at the van park in Benalla as it was about to do the same and no body was home. Also met a nice fella that works for Evernew caravans that said the Jayco vans are renowned for "exploding" when passed by road trains! His conversation lost all importance after that bit of well researched information! :bolt:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Lucky indeed! I had to close somebody's awning up at the van park in Benalla as it was about to do the same and no body was home. Also met a nice fella that works for Evernew caravans that said the Jayco vans are renowned for "exploding" when passed by road trains! His conversation lost all importance after that bit of well researched information! :bolt:
Hey @bigman0510 i think that "nice fella" was talking crap :blah: :biggrin-new:

Reactions: dagree and bigcol