14' Series carefree awning ripped off

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Hello , woke up this morning to howling winds & a few minutes later the awning material ripped half way across the barrel. We were able to roll it back up but now wondering what can be done when I get back home.
Is it possible to buy just the vinyl roof material & fit yourself?

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Thanks for replies. We've got insurance I might see if I can get someone who comes out & replaces them. If its only a few hundred dollar will try do it myself.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I thick @blacky has gone through the same thing .
There is a thread about it

Yep it was him http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/oh-no-torn-awning.6136/

Hello , woke up this morning to howling winds & a few minutes later the awning material ripped half way across the barrel. We were able to roll it back up but now wondering what can be done when I get back home.

Give Steve from S&R Caravan Solutions a call 0407480591, he'll be able to sort you out, also if going with a full replacement, recommend you go with a Dometic Awning and not the rubbish Carefree ones that Jayco use.

Reactions: Ss--ss

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
My awning got torn on a street sign just as I was talking it in for the first service. Jayco said it could not be patched. Insurer agreed for replacement, so all it will cost me is the excess.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My awning got torn on a street sign just as I was talking it in for the first service. Jayco said it could not be patched. Insurer agreed for replacement, so all it will cost me is the excess.

Depending on the tear but they can be repaired, have had vinyl truck curtains patched up heaps of times they just vulcanize a patch over it.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
I got home yesterday afternoon & called up GIO . They said this is the most common type of claim they deal with & just need to get a quote for them to approve. My excess is only $200 so will go through insurance to have it all replaced & fitted.. Think I'll get some anti flappers this time.. Cheers

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
Depending on the tear but they can be repaired, have had vinyl truck curtains patched up heaps of times they just vulcanize a patch over it.
Yes, it looked repairable to me. But since my excess is only $100 it is better for me to get it replaced. If I wasn't insured I would patch it myself

Reactions: Drover

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
I got home yesterday afternoon & called up GIO . They said this is the most common type of claim they deal with & just need to get a quote for them to approve. My excess is only $200 so will go through insurance to have it all replaced & fitted.. Think I'll get some anti flappers this time.. Cheers

Deflappers probably wont be of that much help if you haven't got everything anchored down with ropes and anything with a thread screwed tight:)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Only $200 or $100 I'd be going insurance for sure, my exess is heaps more.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Hi SS

There's a guy in penrith who does a heap of awning repairs he is in Robertson place. Anyway if you wanna do it and save a few $$$ and your awning fabric measures 13ft send us a PM. I have a brand new awning roll (still wrapped up) to suit a 16:49 Expanda with 13ft wide awning

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Thanks achjimmy but mine is 12ft.. I saw on caravanplus.com.au that you can buy the whole roller with fabric inside for $499, so if insurance didnt cover it I'd probably go that way.

Reactions: Angus

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
G'day all, I ended up ringing all the caravan & awning people in sydney & none answered or called back after leaving voicemails, so I contacted the insurance company with an online quote for just the parts from caravanandrvworld.com.au in Penrith. GIO were great & sent me a check as I advised them I wanted to install myself..

So as per below the new awning arrived , its a carefree 12' grey fade in colour & packed very well. I'm not real good at putting these diy instructions together but here goes.. Any questions let me know.

image.jpg

I MUST WARN THAT THESE AWNINGS ARE SPRING LOADED. They have a seperate spring on either side. So when you lock the side with the open close lever it locks one side but not the other..you have to be careful when removing the old awning.

So first step is to put the old awning into the packup position. That way the springs have lost most of there tension ( there is still some tension !) then flick the lever to OPEN so the right hand side is locked. The left side can't be locked..

Undo the two Phillips head screws that are on either side of the sail track attached to the caravan. So it can be slide out to the left.
image.jpg

Then undo the two screws holding the barrel to the uprights.. After this is done it can be lifted off.. The right side will be locked as its in the open position but the left will have a bit of tension & will want to spin a few revolutions. I put vice grips on but I probablycould have just used my hand..

image.jpg

image.jpg

You then lift off the two sides ( the lever side will be easy), the side with the vice grips just unwind a few turns so there's no tension. You then walk it off with a helper.. I had my wife help so no photos too busy arguing, you know what I mean.

The end result is this, I cleaned up the sail track a bit but was easy to slide out the old one & slide in the new.
image.jpg

The new awning can then be slid into the sail track & the two end bits put over the uprights. When I put it all back due to the the line up of the end caps it was about one revelation loose. That's no problem because the new one comes with some locking pins that need to be removed once all in place , this will remove all the slack.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Put the screws back into the end caps that go into the verticals & the two screws into the sail track .
Pull out the split pin that carefree put in first then flick the awning lever to close which will remove any tension.
Should be all good now & look like this
image.jpg

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Thanks for the feedback.. I tested it fully today & works great.. I bought some awning de flappers & a set of those Claries clips for future use. In April we'll be up in the Kimberleys / Broome area so don't want it ripping again :)

If anyone in the sydney area needs any of the parts from the old barrel like the spring ends send me a message you can have them or I will throw them out on Thursday's council cleanup. I found the old canvas may be good for cutting up to make covers for those fridge vents etc.. Will give it a go tomorrow ..