Exterior Oh no! Torn awning :(

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
So i knocked off work yesterday and rang the better half on my way home and she gave me the bad news.. we'd had the awning pegged down for a day or two, and it had been coping really well. She went into town to do some grocery shopping yesterday arvo, and when she returned.. the wind must have picked up while she was out, the awning material had torn half way along the barrel and was flapping away in the wind! :(

Now i need to find a replacement material ASAP.. anyone had any experience with this happening before? Any suggestion of what i'm up for in the way of price and availability?

I haven't got any photos yet, it was too windy to try unroll for a snap last night..

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
The same thing happened to my brother in law last christmas. He took van to a canvas repairer here in Melbourne. He did a fab job, you would not even know that it had torn (along the barrell).

Reactions: blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Jayco advised me the material is not a spare part, you have to order the complete assembly. It may be an insurance claim!

Cheers Geoff

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
holy snapping duckshit batman! That's ridiculous...... I know a bloke in town who is an ex Windsor salesman, now does mobile caravan repairs. I saw on Facebook a few months back he replaced some awning fabric, so i'll give him a call tomorrow... i still cant get over the price! That's ridiculous!

If it does amount to that, insurance for sure.. :censored:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
holy snapping duckshit batman! That's ridiculous...... I know a bloke in town who is an ex Windsor salesman, now does mobile caravan repairs. I saw on Facebook a few months back he replaced some awning fabric, so i'll give him a call tomorrow... i still cant get over the price! That's ridiculous!

I didn't think the cost was too bad, it's less than 2% of the total cost of the van.

The more I look at my van the more I think the inside of the walls must be lined with gold.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

sorry @blacky at first I thought you were starting to sound like Scrooge MacBlack
so I had another look at the site, then went onto Fleabay

OMFG the amount of crap on there.......
but I digress,
there was a few Fiamma ones for cheap - but they are....
also all sorts of different types and sizes if you want to "troll" through looking
but maybe you Would be better getting in touch with that guy, and see what he has to say......
but I would claim it on your insurance either way

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
OUCH.. Not good @blacky but at least you were lucky it happened at home and not while away.
I agree with others and go the insurance option and get them to fit it as well!

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Yeah my mate is coming around today to check her out.. definitely going the insurance route, $1,500 he reckons is standard. Apparently the aluminium arms tend to stress if they've been hit with wind, and will likely fail in the months to come if i just replace the fabric.

So, onto YOUI... $625 excess to cover will have to do :( and whilst it may only be less than 2% of the value... its a lot to find when you're pumping all your hard earned into a bloody builders bank account!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep Insurance claim is the way to go, though most decent Truck Tarp makers would be able to knock a new one up easy as pie as they aren't that hard but it would still be more than the excess. Have had a Tarp maker build me an annex years back, better and cheaper than a van place.

Actually that price at caravanplus didn't seem that bad.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have run AFK on last two vans, haven't modded this one yet. I am two minds, yes they reduce flapping but at some point you have to pack them up anyway and then it takes three times as long! Thinking about the cheap arse straps that Velcro to the horzt bar?