Caravan park recommendation. South of Woollongong.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I'm planning on a week getaway after picking up the new van. I like the NSW coast and stay at Batemans bay every year in Jan.

This time I'm looking around the Shellharbour area. Can anyone recommend a good caravan park around here? Im not familiar with the area, basically just looked at the map and this is a good distance from home.
Im set up for free camping so a free camp is not out of the question, but was thinking more along the lines of a family friendly caravan park ford this trip. Any help appreciated.

Cootay

Jul 15, 2012
Engadine, NSW
Soaring, big4 Easts beach Kiama is a ripper, right on the beach, good kids amenities.
further down, shoal haven heads tourist park is also great, clean, big pool
these are the last two I stayed at, both on the beach. I'm only and hour from them, if you need anymore info let me know.

Reactions: Soaring

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Seven Mile Beach Tourist Park Gerroa (beach side) very kid friendly short drive to local shops, have heard the local Fishermans club is very good.

Easts Beach Kiama as mentioned,

Kendalls Kiama also on the beach in the next bay from Easts.

Shellharbour CP is OK but is right in town on the beach very open to the wind and very vunlerable to theft, amenities a bit dated, but always clean may have been upgraded since my last visted. Short easy walk to local shops/cafes, major shopping centre (Westfield) short drive away.

We also go to Batemans Bay in January, where do you stay?

Reactions: Soaring

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Seven Mile Beach Tourist Park Gerroa (beach side) very kid friendly short drive to local shops, have heard the local Fishermans club is very good.

Easts Beach Kiama as mentioned,

Kendalls Kiama also on the beach in the next bay from Easts.

Shellharbour CP is OK but is right in town on the beach very open to the wind and very vunlerable to theft, amenities a bit dated, but always clean may have been upgraded since my last visted. Short easy walk to local shops/cafes, major shopping centre (Westfield) short drive away.

We also go to Batemans Bay in January, where do you stay?
cheers Bushman. Thanks for the tips.
In Batemans Bay we stay at the Batemans Bay Beach Resort( Batehaven Big 4). This will be our 5th year, usually new years and early Jan, but this year we have actually booked for Christmas Day. (Yet to have it fully approved by SWMBO) How about you?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
cheers Bushman. Thanks for the tips.
In Batemans Bay we stay at the Batemans Bay Beach Resort( Batehaven Big 4). This will be our 5th year, usually new years and early Jan, but this year we have actually booked for Christmas Day. (Yet to have it fully approved by SWMBO) How about you?

We stay at East's Bateman Bay on the northern side just next to the bridge, usually from mid January.

Let us know when your around the shellharbour/ Kiama area, might be able to drop down even if just for the day, its only just over the hour to those areas for us.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We spend January at Racecourse beach. Park is pretty good. we like it coz the sites are not too defined. It feels more like bush camping, but there is a great pool and playground. Staff friendliness is 50/50

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW

KATO

Jan 29, 2012
Wollongong N.S.W.
Huskissson white sands is a great spot and would recommend site number 74, 75 or 76 these all look over the bay with some of the best views you will see at this time of year, might even see the odd whale.

Bulli beach van park run by Wollongong city council is good and right on the beach.

Coolendel is good also at this time of year for free camping as you can have a fire and go for a cold swim in the upper shoalhaven river.

and one more where we go over Christmas and new year in lake Conjola like side which is a big 4 And has just opened the new pool and water park for kids.

Hope that this helps.

Chris