Caravan insurance

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I HEREBY RETRACT ALL PREVIOUS COMMENTS SUPPORTING CIL AND THEIR THEFT COVER THROUGH BED ENDS.

Despite receiving the following statement from CIL on 21st November 2011 after taking out a policy (with increased contents)
Thank you for your enquiry.
The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to call CIL on 1800‐112481.
Kind regards,

After all the current postings I yesterday asked CIL the following;

Hi, I took a policy with CIL when I purchased my Jayco Expanda in Nov last year. Prior to taking it out, I read the PDS and asks for clarification on a few items. One of those was in regards to the van having soft walls when opened, and the policy suggested theft would not be covered.
I received a written response from a Sales and Service Consultant stating "The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas."

I am part of an 'Expandas' forum and have stated the above many times, but when other members make inquiries they are told theft will not be covered, period. As such they go to other insurers who state it will be covered.

This conversation has started again, and at the moment my policy is due for renewal.

So could I again seek written clarification from CILs underwriters if theft is covered from a van such as a Jayco Expanda, if entry is made through the canvas bedends. Noting that the van has hard main walls, but the canvas is permanently fixed in place [ie no velcoed attachment etc) so entry can only be made by cutting. I understand this does not apply to soft walled annexes.

and todays answer

Thank you for your enquiry, we do cover theft but it has to show forcible entry, so if expensive items are in a locked box and can show the lock has been destroyed , it would be covered, if they slashed the walls and a theft occurred then it would not be covered as it is a high risk, we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about.

Kind regards

How a slashed wall is not "forced entry" is beyond me. The policy has now been cancelled and a new one taken with RACV at $80 more. When cancelling the policy the rep asked why and all I needed to say was "I am one of the disgruntled Expanda owners". He knew exactly what has been going on

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
Hi SD
I notice they also told you the "we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about". I said "then if it is so rare why not cover it?" to which they had no response.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Hi SD
I notice they also told you the "we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about". I said "then if it is so rare why not cover it?" to which they had no response.

i rang them today and found they said the same thing they said "it was highly unlikely that anyone would break in through this way "
my response was OK then why don't you take the risk then ?
if that is the case
guess what i am off to someone else now
i am in NSW i am looking for someone else someone care to recommend a company

PS i rang a broker today they said they use CIL and they are now looking at someone else to use due to this problem as they have lots of customers they have put through with expanda's and camper trailers the ball game now has changed

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi SD

I thought the same....
I'd be curious to know the stats of theft claims anyway, and the entry points used. To my thinking the canvas would be the easiest and quickest way, but potentially the most obvious. Through a door or window covered by a full annex would give time and privacy. (It's like if you have a high front fence at home the risk may be greater for sake of giving the pricks privacy to do their work)

The statement "we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about" was interesting;
1. they have had claims of break in through canvas
2. are they actually reading these posts and may do something about their poor policy????

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I thought the same....
I'd be curious to know the stats of theft claims anyway, and the entry points used. To my thinking the canvas would be the easiest and quickest way, but potentially the most obvious. Through a door or window covered by a full annex would give time and privacy. (It's like if you have a high front fence at home the risk may be greater for sake of giving the pricks privacy to do their work)

The statement "we have not had a lot of claims through theft like the forum is talking about" was interesting;
1. they have had claims of break in through canvas
2. are they actually reading these posts and may do something about their poor policy????

You may be right SD and I hope they read this one.
I will be making sure new sales success for this insurance company is reduced.
My van goes to Bayswater Jayco for its first service this month. As part of my dropping off the van I will be making sure I revisit the sales team that sold me the expanda. I will be making sure they are very aware that more than 50% of the expandas for sale on the lot will not be fully covered by CIL and to be very careful when selling expandas that recommending CIL as an insurer is not in the best interests of Jayco customers.

What's worse here though is I think that CILs definition of no coverage when slashing through walls can really be applied to all pop tops. In an industry such as insurance where paying or not paying is based on the fine print, I would not be comfortable either if I had a van insured with CIL that was a pop top.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Perhaps CIL have just had it to good for to long in the caravan insurance market!

Complacency breeds contemp and the new age of social media and global search engines can change a companies reputation and revenues literally overnight.

Clearly both seasoned and new forum members (and visitors like the Google web-bot spiders) are becoming aware of CIL's policy and complacency.

A great example of the value of this forum and the "collective wisdom of the crowd"

Power to the people!!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
i rang them today and found they said the same thing they said "it was highly unlikely that anyone would break in through this way "
my response was OK then why don't you take the risk then ?
if that is the case
guess what i am off to someone else now
i am in NSW i am looking for someone else someone care to recommend a company

PS i rang a broker today they said they use CIL and they are now looking at someone else to use due to this problem as they have lots of customers they have put through with expanda's and camper trailers the ball game now has changed

Hi thommo,
Am picking up our new van tommorrow and rang NRMA and they will cover contents when bed is down but not contents of annex, GIO/Suncorp are the same for the van but will also cover contents in the annex. Hope that helps.

Jas

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Hi thommo,
Am picking up our new van tommorrow and rang NRMA and they will cover contents when bed is down but not contents of annex, GIO/Suncorp are the same for the van but will also cover contents in the annex. Hope that helps.

Jas

thanks JAS i just contacted GIO i have the PDS here now looks like GIO is the go for me
bye bye CIL FOR ME

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I also just called and dumped CIL, gave them a polite spray as well.... Now with AAMI who actually had the Eagle before the Panda, about $20 more but i had him check about the canvas issue with his boss and they told me both the Panda and canvas annex (if i had one) would be covered for theft of items.
cheers

Ckmlk

Oct 26, 2012
Hunter valley
Got my insurance today through GIO, asked the same questions got the same answers as previously posts. Thanks to all you guys that have posted your experiences.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
AAMI for me too but then I have all my insurances with them so was a no brainer. I have put in a claim for damage to my old van and they were good.