Caravan insurance

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Guys
I know this has been discussed but I couldnt find the thread.
I'm just about to pick up my 17 and looking at insuring it.
What is the feedback from current members about the different companies and anything special to look out for (eg, I will upgrade my NRMA roadside to tow the caravan if needed)
Thanks

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks CD, thats what I was after.
As it turns out I cant go with CIL as the van will be used occasionally for business purposes (home and site office). They said they wont go near it. NRMA seemed happy to insure as long as I wasnt making monery from the van (eg hiring it out etc)

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We are with GIO and they insure you if it is forced entry thru canvas walls. A lot of companies won't.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
hmmm interesting. I hadn't thought about theft with no solid walls... guess i need to read the PDS's a bit more carefully. Was going to get our insurance through National Seniors (my father in law is a member which means we can piggy back off his membership) however they too state if theft through non solid walls occurs than it is not covered. I am going to ring them and find out if the van is locked up, i.e. the bed ends are shut and locked, if still covered. I should assume that it would be but we can never assume when it comes to insurance...

I will let you all know what they say.

Oh by the way, they are $200 cheaper than my next quote coming in just over $400 for a 40k van.

Ants

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Interesting clause for an expanda. Does that mean if theft occurs through the non solid bed ends of an expanda that you are not covered?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Just check with the insurance company and get it in writing.

I did with CIL and they stated "The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas. "
Just because there is canvas doesn't mean it isn't insured. We were put off campers because the sides could simply be unzipped or unvelcroed - there was no security. What we have is a canvas permanently fixed in place.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
This is the clause from National Seniors PDS:
the theft or attempted theft is from an annexe,
awning or other part of the caravan or trailer,
which is made of canvas, vinyl or similar soft
materials.
I called National Seniors and they have told me that if the theft occurs when the bed ends are up and sucured by the lock than they will cover. If the theft occurs when the bed ends are down then there is no coverage. I also asked about the pop top and if the pop top is left up and the entry occurs through the vinyl of the pop top than no cover if the pop top is down and secured (locked) then you will be covered. The key is having it locked.

Hope that helps
Ants

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
National Seniors not much use when on holiday ? I was wary of CIL who insure many of us for reasons stray dingo highlights. So as he suggests, get something in writing from them specific for your expanda, ideally attached to your quote reference so it can be totally clear. Worth it as their premiums are competitive most of the time.

Also worth looking at small print of what you are also covered for in and around the van, surfboards, bikes etc. Some policies are a little more money but the cover is substantially broader.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Just check with the insurance company and get it in writing.

I did with CIL and they stated "The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas. "
Just because there is canvas doesn't mean it isn't insured. We were put off campers because the sides could simply be unzipped or unvelcroed - there was no security. What we have is a canvas permanently fixed in place.

Hey Stray Dingo can you post a copy of this response from CIL because I am having the same fight with them now!! And again they told me theft will not be covered in an Expanda or Campervan!!!!

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
I've just got off the phone to CIL as our insurance is due in a couple of weeks ... the girl I spoke to said this was the second query today (?thanks to this website!) and they definitely do not cover break ins through the canvas walls. Time to ring around - may check GIO!

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
I too just called. When I took out insurance with them I also raised this and was told it is covered - but now they say it isn't. They then try to tell me that if this is the sole consideration in who I insure with then they can't help me, to which I reply the main concern is the lack of trust I now have with them. So anyone in NSW want to recommend any other company that is not going to lie to me to make the sale?
To be 100% clear what was discussed
1) If the bed end is out and entry is made via the bed end - no theft cover (in their words "because all it takes is for someone to cut it with a big knife to gain entry")
2) If the bed end is closed (and locked) then theft cover is included

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I was told by RACQ that unlike my old Jayco camper the expanada was covered as the expanda canvas would have to be cut (ie break in ) to gain entry.
But the campers canvas was only held in place with velcro under the bed and near the door and could just be pulled out of the way to gain entry.
Thats why they say they cover anything in the expanda but not the annex.

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
It was via a my insurance broker.But to be honest I can't work out their PDS either way and I'm sure if they can find a way out they will try, and if that time ever comes they will lose five other policies I have with them and I wont have any problem telling members of this forum and others about it.
But to be fair also we had a claim on a 18month old car that got water damaged (I would of said minor damage) and they gave us a brand new car no hassle at all and thats one reason I am still with them.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Jdove, we have many policies with racq but not our van as the racq underwriters told me that we weren't covered for theft through the open bed ends but we could make a application to claim as an unexpected event. They would consider whether or not they would cover it then. As a result the van is insured with suncorp. You need to ask them if entry via the canvas bed is considered forceful.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Jdove, we have many policies with racq but not our van as the racq underwriters told me that we weren't covered for theft through the open bed ends but we could make a application to claim as an unexpected event. They would consider whether or not they would cover it then. As a result the van is insured with suncorp. You need to ask them if entry via the canvas bed is considered forceful.

Hi jdove,

I am the same as Andrea, the sales team spoke to the underwriters who looked up a picture of the Expanda on line and was told that it would not be covered for theft if the bed end was open. Same Result also, I am with Suncorp and they were cheaper than RACQ and CIL anyway!

Duncan