Car Topper

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Been digging around on the internet for a car topper and have come up with this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FOAMLITE-Finn-Sharkie-Dinghy-CAR-TOPPER/161053271109

Thought it may interest some, only weighs 55kg's so can be chucked up on the roof racks and strapped down without a boat loader so saves some $$$$.

Australian built in WA but shipped relatively cheaply across oz.

Anyone else seen them?

There is also a much smaller model different hull design though.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Looks really interesting. Love the weight. I thought you had a boat that you put on your roof already? Or was that someone else's pics I have previously been looking at?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Looks really interesting. Love the weight. I thought you had a boat that you put on your roof already? Or was that someone else's pics I have previously been looking at?

You are correct we did have one before but got rid off it and we have regretted getting rid of it ever since and after our recent cairns adventures and fishing charters MrsExpanda has demanded we get back on the water and exercise our boat licenses and fishing skills even more!!

Already have a folding trailer and 15hp motor sitting around and want to spend the summer on the water with the van so looking at one of these plastic boats as a filler until we can get the fiberglass boat next year.

We where going to get an inflatable dinghy for over summer but its roughly the same price for one of these as it is for the inflatable and means we don't have pump it up etc every time we get some where so may take the plunge and just chuck it up on the roof until we get the real boat :)!

Last edited:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes it is nice to have a wife that likes to go fishing... I have one of them too.
Do you still have the Pathie?
Would like to know what sort of roof racks you have.
I am finding there are not too many options for the gutterless roof.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Just love the new boat Expanda. The flat bottom is excellent, much more useable space. That is our dilemma, if we go away with the camper/van, we have no boat and visa versa. We have a 4.4 runabout which we intend to sell and really want something that we can take with us to replace it. Would hate to miss out on a few fresh crabs in summer just for the sake of not being able to get a little off shore with our nets. Besides that it's just good fun! Oh dear, poor Steve, another thing to pester him for :D

Reactions: expanda

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Just love the new boat Expanda. The flat bottom is excellent, much more useable space. That is our dilemma, if we go away with the camper/van, we have no boat and visa versa. We have a 4.4 runabout which we intend to sell and really want something that we can take with us to replace it. Would hate to miss out on a few fresh crabs in summer just for the sake of not being able to get a little off shore with our nets. Besides that it's just good fun! Oh dear, poor Steve, another thing to pester him for :D

She is a beauty but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooo long to wait much longer than the expanda or discovery :(!

So looks like the Finns boat it is for now if it can carry our family!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I think Steve might be banning you from this site soon!:)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
No track mounts on my version of Pathie. Very annoying.

Really? I thought Rhino drilled the roof and put a track mount in?

When I was going to get the boat loader initially with Rhino they wanted to remove my factory ST-L rails and put in a track mount option to get the HD bars?

Back on the roof topper there is a video here of it in action -

Seems very stable, yes the audio is crap and that motor is smashed but the boat handles the hammering he gives it pretty well.

Looks like I may just have to order one until I get the real boat next year!

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
It does handle the stick he gives it pretty well, though I bet the skipper of that motor yacht was a bit nervous at times...

I have been pondering the same sort of issue for a while in how to get back out on the water when we are away with the expanda but the weight of a car topper has been putting me off & don't want to go down the path of a loading system to get it up on top of the 4x4. Neither does an inflatable excite me too much so have been looking at some of the the folding boats instead.

I have been particularly watching one called the Quickboat which is also from WA for a while and it has got me a just a little bit excited...:tongue-new:...

It looks quite compact in its bag, quite rigid from the videos, max 10hp & only 35kg. I am hoping to have a look at one here in Brisbane before making my mind up. Has anyone seen one in the flesh?

http://quickboats.com/

Cheers, Frosty.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
It does handle the stick he gives it pretty well, though I bet the skipper of that motor yacht was a bit nervous at times...

I have been pondering the same sort of issue for a while in how to get back out on the water when we are away with the expanda but the weight of a car topper has been putting me off & don't want to go down the path of a loading system to get it up on top of the 4x4. Neither does an inflatable excite me too much so have been looking at some of the the folding boats instead.

I have been particularly watching one called the Quickboat which is also from WA for a while and it has got me a just a little bit excited...:tongue-new:...

It looks quite compact in its bag, quite rigid from the videos, max 10hp & only 35kg. I am hoping to have a look at one here in Brisbane before making my mind up. Has anyone seen one in the flesh?

http://quickboats.com/

Cheers, Frosty.

Yep quick boat looks great and just a couple of surfboard bags.

Just heard back from the manufacturer of the car topper I listed and unfortunately its only rated to 3 people so a no go for us.

Last edited:

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
You are correct we did have one before but got rid off it and we have regretted getting rid of it ever since and after our recent cairns adventures and fishing charters MrsExpanda has demanded we get back on the water and exercise our boat licenses and fishing skills even more!!

We are actually getting this one below, its a car topper only 65kg's 3.7m its a resin infused fiberglass boat with front and rear casting decks plus flat floor, splash well, full chines etc etc but we don't get it till our Cape York trip next year :( -

View attachment 16371 View attachment 16372

Its an unreal car topper but alas we don't get it till the cape york trip next year :(.

Already have a folding trailer and 15hp motor sitting around and want to spend the summer on the water with the van so looking at one of these plastic boats as a filler until we can get the fiberglass boat next year.

We where going to get an inflatable dinghy to do us over summer but its roughly the same price for one of these as it is for the inflatable and means we don't have pump it up etc every time we get some where so may take the plunge and just chuck it up on the roof until we get the real boat :)!

Can't quite see, what brand boat is that?

Reactions: expanda

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewC

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Here is some more info on the Sharkie Dinghy manufacturing process -

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Expanda
Looks like a great idea but number of people is a real problem. Maybe we should have had less kids?
Or maybe just dont take them on holidays?

Reactions: 17triton

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi Expanda
Looks like a great idea but number of people is a real problem. Maybe we should have had less kids?
Or maybe just dont take them on holidays?

Yer I know, I was contemplating leaving junior expanda on the foreshore with some beyblades but not sure if that will go down to well :)!

So yes back to an inflatable for me or less kids but I can't back track on family numbers!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yer I know, I was contemplating leaving junior expanda on the foreshore with some beyblades but not sure if that will go down to well :)!

So yes back to an inflatable for me or less kids but I can't back track on family numbers!

I hear you