Exterior Camping washing line - repair

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks, now youv'e got me thinking about making things like replacement Bimini and tent pole plastic parts and stuff, still cheaper to buy the bits than a 3D printer but I can see a use for the things, one may be an item in my shed one day........................Does the stuff handle the sun okay ???

Reactions: bigcol

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
The filament I used isn't meant for constant UV saturation. That said, a couple of coats of UV Clear spray paint, or any exterior paint works a treat. I've printed things that I've left outside all year and they still haven't failed.

Cost wise the printer only set me back $350 and sure for this project alone its a little difficult to justify. lol

The only limit really is the imagination I've found... I've used it a number of times for the van for example

* The quick fingered littlie kept pinching the ignitor from the webber - Made a wall mount for the ignitor and battery that's just by the door of the van
* Glasses holder for SWMBO's reading glasses
* Remote holder on the bed end for the fusion stereo. Useful at night when you're using the stereo for the TV's sound
* Remote holder/belt clip for the sphere wireless light remote just by the door
* Wall mount for the caravan wifi router inside the small cupboard near the door - Gives me more room in the cupboard for other junk we don't really need
* Shower rose holder that goes onto the roof vent in the shower - I might only be short but I still like the water hitting me on the head not the chest and I don't want to have to hold it up... lol
* Pipe covers to go over the waste water outlets (Just to stop the creepy crawlies getting in)

And that's just the caravan. :)

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hmmm - holders for the TV and Stereo remote. I would love a pair of these if you wanted to print and sell them (I have access to a printer, but not the skills to design the holder).

On the back of the slider (facing my bed) I have mounted the air con remote, bought a 6 x remote switch (so I can turn all lights on/off from bed in groups, etc - I even programmed the Off bottom to do all lights except the bathroom one as we leave that on overnight for the kids) and something else (I can't remember what).

Would love to hang the remotes there instead of leaving them lying around all the time.

You interested in printing and selling anything?

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
I've been printing and selling trolley keys on ebay for quite some time.. lol I'm one of those people that hates taking back the trolley and never have a coin in the wallet - Gots to love the paperless society.. lol

This is the remote holder - Keep in mind this was only the prototype so it printed really fast without much detail hence the surface finish isn't all that great. But for a remote holder I didn't bother printing it again. If I did, I'd round of the top edge a little. Thats also why you see the 3M command strip on the back of it as I used that instead of the screw holes to mount it to the back of the seat near the bed in case I go the position wrong.

Posted it to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2784846

If you've got access to a printer I'm happy to have a go at modelling something up for you and sending you the model so you can slice and print it. I'm still only a novice at best with the 3D design software.

The remote switch you have is it the wall mounted sphere one? or the little sphere remote? or something completely different. Would need the a photo of the remote & dimentions of said remote as a starting point.

If you wanted to have a go yourself have a look at www.tinkercad.com its a really easy to use and learn web based 3D modelling site. Thats where I started before I felt restricted by its simplicity and moved over to fusion 360, again youtube is my best friend when it comes to learning how to do things.

You also might find someone has already done a design for your particular remote on thingiverse.com as well (Have a search there too, no point reinventing the wheel)

RemoteOut-Prototype.jpg Remoteinholder-Prototype.jpg

Last edited:

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Thanks @SkinnyBuddah - I already have screwed the Aircon holder and Sphere remote light switches to the back of the couch. Just need a cradle for the radio and TV remotes.

If you could share the files that would be ace - I can get my mate to print it up.

He is into the design side so if he has a base design, I am sure small tweaks would not be beyond him.

Thanks again

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I've been printing and selling trolley keys on ebay for quite some time.. lol I'm one of those people that hates taking back the trolley and never have a coin in the wallet - Gots to love the paperless society.. lol

This is the remote holder - Keep in mind this was only the prototype so it printed really fast without much detail hence the surface finish isn't all that great. But for a remote holder I didn't bother printing it again. If I did, I'd round of the top edge a little. Thats also why you see the 3M command strip on the back of it as I used that instead of the screw holes to mount it to the back of the seat near the bed in case I go the position wrong.

Posted it to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2784846

If you've got access to a printer I'm happy to have a go at modelling something up for you and sending you the model so you can slice and print it. I'm still only a novice at best with the 3D design software.

The remote switch you have is it the wall mounted sphere one? or the little sphere remote? or something completely different. Would need the a photo of the remote & dimentions of said remote as a starting point.

If you wanted to have a go yourself have a look at www.tinkercad.com its a really easy to use and learn web based 3D modelling site. Thats where I started before I felt restricted by its simplicity and moved over to fusion 360, again youtube is my best friend when it comes to learning how to do things.

You also might find someone has already done a design for your particular remote on thingiverse.com as well (Have a search there too, no point reinventing the wheel)

View attachment 59380 View attachment 59382
Interesting @SkinnyBuddah. I purchased the Fusion remote but find I damn near need to touch the stereo with it for it to work.

How strong are the gizmos that come out of the 3D printers. Im very tempted to buy one, because of huge raft of things I can print ..... or is there a huge raft?? Its it one of those things that seem super awesome, but ill struggle find actual necessity v invested time to bother?? Hmmmmm, quandary. But at $350, I suppose who cares

oo oo oo oo .... what about a LNB holder to replace the weather buggered one on my sat dish which is now held together with cable ties. I dont want to replace the dish, Ive have spent a lot of time repairing and modifying the dish to withstand hanging off the back of the van and the rigours of rough roads and vibrations ..... now the LNB has let me down

Last edited:

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
The fusion remote works best with fresh batteries. When running flat they are rubbish. That said $3 at the reject shop later and voila batteries for years
That works from the door or the bed. The only two places we really use it from. Lol

As for is it worth it. Hell yes. Every day/week i find something new to print to either fix or make things better. Someone's it's something I've downloaded from thingiverse or a design of my own.

For a first printer id recommend something like the i3. If youre technically minded and love a steep learning curve get a delta.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lets see @Crusty181 , $350 for printer, $35 for a roll of stuff or maybe more rolls , say $420..............or trip to tip grab LNB holder off one of the many discarded dishes, $5........................................or next time your up in Gods Country stop by I have a few on the shelf including a dish or 2........square/round sorted.........................then again in Victoria probably get charged $10 to get into the tip and more to get out.

Remote holder ...velcro with sticky back on remote, matching bit on wall in various spots...Bingo universal remote holder.......Taa Daaa not as cool though.

But then again I would like one to just be able to make some spares bits, can't justify it but never stopped me before..............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Lets see @Crusty181 , $350 for printer, $35 for a roll of stuff or maybe more rolls , say $420..............or trip to tip grab LNB holder off one of the many discarded dishes, $5........................................or next time your up in Gods Country stop by I have a few on the shelf including a dish or 2........square/round sorted.........................then again in Victoria probably get charged $10 to get into the tip and more to get out.

Remote holder ...velcro with sticky back on remote, matching bit on wall in various spots...Bingo universal remote holder.......Taa Daaa not as cool though.

But then again I would like one to just be able to make some spares bits, can't justify it but never stopped me before..............
We don't have "tips", we have Transfer Stations. The good old days of scrounging about for treasure are long gone here. The Princess's school has a 3D printer that no-one knows how to use. I did the office reno there so Im a School Community Trusty. Apparently if I can learn up the teacher that overseas the sleeping 3D printer, I can have unfettered access. So keep your wallet on your pocket and just enjoy the free ride.

Pulled the LNB holder off the dish today, turns out it just the top half of the donut thats buggered, could probably make a wood one anyway.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I reckon they are a magic invention and would certainly have one if justified ............................................... our tip has become cityfied, special spots for this and that, dump for $$$, I keep cruising by as I'm after a sat dish stand but keep getting their after the damn dozer runs over everything./

Be a handy gadget to make up some spare door and cupboard handles for van, not to mention a new bit for the thunder can which has broken and is Gold disguised as plastic at $85................................so where do we send the orders ?????? @SkinnyBuddah

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Curse you @SkinnyBuddah , I'm starting to see things that I could fix or construct with a 3D printer as I walk around my shed and van, knob on welder, knob on old VHF radio, purpose design/ shaped switch panels for various projects, door handle, cupboard handle parts, switch mounts and thats in shed and van I haven't even started on my old Toyota Ute I also could have used one to make a new part for the trigger on a 45 yr old Daisy BB gun which I gave to a friend for his collection...........................the parts for cupboard handles though could be a money spinner to pay for the thing........................................................very cool.