Camping The Nullabor

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Heading off mid September across the Nullabor to meet some friends in Esperence. Was wondering if anyone could recommend some camping spots across the Nullabor. Was look for some for some free camping options and if possible a nice little fire at night to keep warm and for kids to toast some marshmellows......

Look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Cheers
Dazz

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Didn't use them ourselves, but there were certainly quite a few spots along the Highway. Just pull over wherever you want. We noticed many being used, with fire pits etc. Best ones were along the cliffs of the bite in SA.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Thanks for that Straydingo. I have the Camps6 book and there are plenty to choose from. Out of curiosity where did you stay?

Dazz

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
we always go the cvan parks/roadhouses.
Specifically - Ceduna CP, Border Village Roadhouse, Norseman CP, Penong CP, and Madura Roadhouse and CP. None were particularly outstanding but did the job.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Hey Straydingo
Any reason for just using the caravan parks and roadhouses? Just asking coz the wife gets a little nervous sometimes with camping in the middle of no where thing, particularly with 2 little ones....

For mine I'd prefer to do the overnighters in the bush.....it's freebie time!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Did that trip both ways late last year. After Ceduna we stopped at Nundroo Roadhouse because we wanted to leave the van and visit Fowlers Bay. Very rough site, gents toilet busted so everyone using one ladies loo, no grass in camp ground and full of potholes which, at the time, were full of water. After that we had 3 freebie stops before getting to Kalgoorlie, two on the SA side of the border and the last about 65km along the 'longest straight stretch'. Plenty of places to stop as you can drive right to the cliff tops in many places. We had no problems and loved it.

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Heading off across the Nullabor to meet some friends in Esperence.
Look forward to hearing any suggestions.
I know this is a crazy idea, but why not contact the Australian Rail Track Company and see if you can get permission to use there access track along the trans line. It runs from Tarcoola to Kalgoorlie. The track runs along the rail line. There is no fuel available and you would be camping along side of the rail line.
Just a thought...........

Jan 5, 2012
Sunbury
I know this is a crazy idea, but why not contact the Australian Rail Track Company and see if you can get permission to use there access track along the trans line. It runs from Tarcoola to Kalgoorlie. The track runs along the rail line. There is no fuel available and you would be camping along side of the rail line.
Just a thought...........

If you can get get approval to do that it would be better than winning tatts. There has been a ban on people driving along there for years.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hey Straydingo
Any reason for just using the caravan parks and roadhouses? Just asking coz the wife gets a little nervous sometimes with camping in the middle of no where thing, particularly with 2 little ones....

For mine I'd prefer to do the overnighters in the bush.....it's freebie time!

I'd prefer to free camp too. But same deal - a missus and three daughters who might be a touch nervous, and also who want 'proper' facilties

Cuey

Jan 31, 2012
Hi All,

We just got back from picking our van up from Adelaide.

Free camped most of the way from streaky bay (SA side) to Kalgoolie (WA).

There are numerous spots along the way well sign posted and some with dump points.

Didnt really take down any GPS co-ords for the stops but when back in perth from work will chase up the postions on the Hema Map.

One spot had this view!!!
DSC_0827.JPG
This was from the lookout from one of the stops, was bloody cold that morning!.

Cuey...