Discovery Camec / Jayco dual door inspection

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Just had the outer door fly open south of Ayr on way nth.I knew the 3 plastic latches on the outer door were a little worn where they are grabbed by the inner door.If in dought replace these plastic catches.Do not overtighten screws as metal inserts in door will rotate .A new door costs anywhere between $1100.00 to $1900.00 plus fitting ,can not just buy outer door but whole lot including frame.Three week lead time.Looks like insurance claim when I get back home.Apparently pretty common after travelling rough roads.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just had the outer door fly open south of Ayr on way nth.I knew the 3 plastic latches on the outer door were a little worn where they are grabbed by the inner door.If in dought replace these plastic catches.Do not overtighten screws as metal inserts in door will rotate .A new door costs anywhere between $1100.00 to $1900.00 plus fitting ,can not just buy outer door but whole lot including frame.Three week lead time.Looks like insurance claim when I get back home.Apparently pretty common after travelling rough roads.
Good advice. We carry a handful of the catches, and tape the door on rough roads

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Does your door open to the rear @BJM ???
I would have though the wind would have kept it closed otherwise, mate had one catch break last time he stopped by but haven't had the problem myself, I do know if buying spares make sure you get the correct catches as there are 3 versions usually about $10 each and there can be 2 types on the one door......
Ive only ever carried Instant Van Patch (Gaffa Tape).

Dooley, just looked at Caravans Plus, certainly would be an insurance job or a nicely made bit of marine ply in its place, flamin expensive gear.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Opens at the front so probably banging away for kms ..Going into Cairns shortly to see if repairer has the right catches,maybe be able to epoxy inserts in and fit new catches for now..Two upper and lower catches are different than the middle on mine don’t know if some have been replaced.Of course the diabolical state of some of the Qld roads wouldn’t have helped.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Our little local van shop at Tin Can Bay had all versions in stock so imagine Cairns would..... I have found Victoria has roads built by the same road bloke...bluddy horrible.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Update.Cairns Caravan repairs must be a gold mine.About 8 vans in for various repairs,more arrived when I was there.number had collapsed springs.Must say the JTech suspension is very good ,can not fault it.
The good news is the owner said Jayco no where near the worst when it comes to falling apart.!However he gets two to three a month with failed door latches.Absolute rubbish plastic for the job they do ,he has told Jayco they should improve them.Got the new latches,epoxyed the old insert nuts back in ,test them out tomorrow.Currently 20 ks north of Port Douglas waiting for the crocs to come ashore.